Offer - Botfeeder Filament Review

Do you print/build/make/create 'stuff' for modifying SeeMeCNC machines? Post them here if you do so others can see and inquire about getting them!
Christian79
Printmaster!

Offer - Botfeeder Filament Review

Post by Christian79 »

Hi Everybody,

I just finished using up almost all of my Seemecnc filament and really need more. I am still learning how to use my MAX and I would say I have a 60-70% success rate with most attempts.

That being said I use a lot of filament trying and testing things out. Since no one seems to have tried Botfeeder I thought I would give them a look.

They are currently running a black friday sale for (10) 1kg spools for $235 plus shipping. This is NOT an ad for them, I just thought I would take a leap and try them out and report back to the forum if you all are interested.

That being said, if you all want to know anything about their filament or how the MAX responds to it, please post and I will do my best to respond.

Please note it may take a day or two, I have a full time job and a family so this is more of an evening hobby for me than a passion.

I want to point out I was very happy with my SeeMeCNC filament, but I wanted to try another vendor and was willing to risk the $$$ to do it.

I will let you all know if their product is any good.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Offer - Botfeeder Filament Review

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Christian79 wrote:Hi Everybody,

I just finished using up almost all of my Seemecnc filament and really need more. I am still learning how to use my MAX and I would say I have a 60-70% success rate with most attempts.

That being said I use a lot of filament trying and testing things out. Since no one seems to have tried Botfeeder I thought I would give them a look.

They are currently running a black friday sale for (10) 1kg spools for $235 plus shipping. This is NOT an ad for them, I just thought I would take a leap and try them out and report back to the forum if you all are interested.

That being said, if you all want to know anything about their filament or how the MAX responds to it, please post and I will do my best to respond.

Please note it may take a day or two, I have a full time job and a family so this is more of an evening hobby for me than a passion.

I want to point out I was very happy with my SeeMeCNC filament, but I wanted to try another vendor and was willing to risk the $$$ to do it.

I hope that it is good if you are investing that much into 10 spools. If it's not any good you will have a lot of filament that can't use.
Let us know how it works.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

IME even the cheapest filament! tends to have some good rolls. I bought a lot of filament from China early on, and out of perhaps 8 rolls only 2 rolls were unusable.
The problem with crappy filament is it's often hard to diagnose the issue, especially of you've never used good filament.
These days I spend the extra and buy from ultimachine, since I've never had a bad roll from them and for me at least it's just not worth the frustration to save a few bucks.
Christian79
Printmaster!

Post by Christian79 »

Hello Everybody,

I just received my order from Botfeeder and will now start my review.

Processing & Shipping:

1) I placed my order on the 29th of November and they shipped it the same day.
2) My order arrived in customs on the 1st of December and then no progress was made for a few days.
3) My order cleared customs and arrived at my post office on the 8th and was delivered on the 9th.

Thoughts…….

1) Botfeeder processed and shipped the order with blazing speed.
2) Canada Post moved the package with similar speed.
3) The only wrench in the gears was at the border with customs who took way too long to move it along.
4) All in all I am very happy with this phase of the review and will simply tell you all that customs some times suck the fun out of life.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Packaging:

1) The boxes arrived nicely packed in two parcels.
BOX 1.JPG
2) Inside each box were 5 individually boxed spools of filament.
BOX 2.JPG
3) Each individual box is labeled with its contents in the event you want to store them in the boxes.
BOX3.JPG
4) Each box contains a shrink wrapped spool which also includes a deca pack.
DECA.JPG
10PACK.JPG
Thoughts…..

1) Botfeeder has done a very nice job protecting the spool during shipping.
2) The individually labeled boxes are nice and make storage easier.
3) The shrink wrapped spool with a deca pack is a nice touch.

Initial thoughts:

1) The spool is different from what we are used to so some modifications to the max are required.
2) The spool is slightly wider than the SeeMeCNC spool, so the extension pack from thingiverse is required. (Here is an extension made by one of our very own members!!! http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:60322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
SPOOL.JPG
3) The hub also has a different diameter so if you want the spool to fit snugly on the rod, you will need to create a modified hub. (If I create one, I will post it.)
SPINDLE.JPG
Thoughts…..

1) It is a shame that the spools are not Plug-n-Play for the max, but since there is no current industry spool standard…… It is what it is and other filament brands could have the same issues.
2) Botfeeder posts the dimensions on their website, so I knew about this issue when I ordered.
3) This should not be a deal breaker in my opinion, after all the whole reason you have a 3D printer is to make stuff.

Initial Testing:

1) Have not had much time to test since the product just arrived however, here are some initial observations.
2) Some people have commented that their overseas filament was brittle, so I did a quick flex till ya break test with my SeeMe filament (Black) and the Botfeeder Filament (Green)
FLEX.JPG
3) Both filaments seem to break between 12 and 20 complete 90 degree flex motions.
4) Some people have commented that their overseas diameter varied considerably, so I took 10 equally spaced (more or less) measurements with my SeeMe filament (Black) and the Botfeeder Filament (Green)

(in mm)(End of roll)

SeeMe Avg = 1.726

(in mm)(Beginning of roll)

BotFeeder Avg = 1.73

……………………. Thats all for now. BTW I apologize if the pics are rotated incorrectly, they are from my iPhone and I did not take the time to rotate them.
CJGerard
Printmaster!

Post by CJGerard »

Thanks for the info and keeping us updated. :)
Boss 1 - "I'm tiered of arguing with you! You come up with the MOST Stupid-Outlandish-Impossible way to do something & then you walk out into the shop and DO IT and IT WORKS. Its no fun anymore."
Boss 2 - "Huh? Chris is a Ninja?"
brent
Printmaster!

Post by brent »

What website did you order it from?
Christian79
Printmaster!

Post by Christian79 »

0x3ngineering wrote:What website did you order it from?
http://www.botfeeder.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MrPTrog
Prints-a-lot

Post by MrPTrog »

So how did it print for you?
I ordered a roll of silver from botfeeder.ca. I was very happy with boxing and shipping. My average diameter was very tight. I measure the same spot twice, 90° out to each other incase the filament is oval. My roll proved to be very round.
Unfortunately my prints have been less than satisfactory. Sides are not smooth. Texture is kinda fuzzy. I printed a single wall cylinder and varied the extruder temp to see if I was too hot or cold, no joy.
I will re dry it soon and post again if that changes anything.
At this point their prices are $40 US, I won't be buying more.
Me: That's a cool DubStep. I really like the drop. But could you turn it down a little?
Son: That's the refrigerator Dad.
And that is why I will never buy HotPoint again!
Christian79
Printmaster!

Post by Christian79 »

MrPTrog wrote:So how did it print for you?
I ordered a roll of silver from botfeeder.ca. I was very happy with boxing and shipping. My average diameter was very tight. I measure the same spot twice, 90° out to each other incase the filament is oval. My roll proved to be very round.
Unfortunately my prints have been less than satisfactory. Sides are not smooth. Texture is kinda fuzzy. I printed a single wall cylinder and varied the extruder temp to see if I was too hot or cold, no joy.
I will re dry it soon and post again if that changes anything.
At this point their prices are $40 US, I won't be buying more.
Overall the rolls average between 1.74 and 1.76 which works for me just fine. I have been very happy with the results but have not had much time to print.
In my case I have had better luck with bridging with the botfeeder filament, of course that is when I can get the printer to obey my speed commands.

If you want to be sure it is the filament and not your printer, buy some of the SeeMECNC filament. It seems to be top shelf and US made.
This way if you get the same results you know it is your printer and not the filament. These printers need to be massaged and dialed in rather well to work nicely.
Don't let the name "printer" fool ya….. This is by no means a plug and play hobby. If I am good at it after say 2 to 3 years then I am happy!

Return to “Members Marketplace”