Welcome to Australia

Here's a place to share with others local to you
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Welcome to Australia

Post by McSlappy »

Hello everyone!
The purpose of this subforum is to allow Aussies and Kiwi's to connect with each other, talk about South Pacific topics (especially relating to 3D printing) and help each other out. This shouldn't be a replacement to the regular forums, but a fun place to just chat about Ausse/NZ stuff and printing.

I'll start.

Yesterday I went kayaking at the mouth of the Maroochydore River on the Sunshine Coast. Lovely day, water was beautiful and warm. My brother in law and myself decided to paddle into the surf and catch some waves in. We caught one and it was epic! Skipping along the crest of that wave was awesome so we turned right back around and went again.
The waves were pretty choppy, not coming in nice sets so we struggled a bit and capsized as we were turning around. No biggie, we flipped it back over and jumped back in. We caught another little wave in, but it petered out. While waiting for a better one we fell in again. We righted the kayak and I hopped back in, facing backwards to watch the surf. My brother didn't get a chance to get back in as I fell off with the next large wave. At this point I was a little worried since the waves were pretty big, and getting bigger and they were crashing into each other and over us fast enough that we didn't have enough time to get in and get going. I was holding both oars and the kayak handle as My bro swam towards me. A quite large wave with lots of whitewater came over us both and ripped the kayak from my hands and sent it very out of reach towards the river mouth. I'm not sure if it was at this point that I first notice that we were now really far from shore or river mouth. Holding the two oars and struggling to swim and breath I began to panic. I looked now at the shore and saw the people just specks on the sand as mountains of waves rose to separate my view over and over again.
I held onto the oars because I felt that letting them go would be admitting that we were in trouble, and I was hesitant to do that. After a few moments I F*** it and pushed them away. Waves were crashing over us and tumbling us under and filling our lungs with water. There was barely time to come up and breathe before facing another foamy mountain again. I had this realisation, this sinking horrifying feeling and I felt that I was going to die. I was too tired to swim, the waves were too relentless and if my brother started to sink I didn't have the strength to save him.
My brother said that perhaps we should yell for help, but I said that there was no way anyone could hear us or help us and we had to do this on our own.
I ran through the last few things that I'd said to my daughter and had this guilty feeling about jokingly saying that if I died in the water that she could have my Minecraft diamonds.. Suddenly it didn't feel funny. I couldn't see how we would survive this. I thought of my wife, and how Australia wasn't an easy place for her to settle, she missed home a lot and sometimes struggled with the culture here and I knew that this would kill any hope I had of her ever liking Australia.
I thought of a lot more stuff, all of it reflective and pretty deep. I guess that's the sort of things that go through your head when you think you're dying.
I looked at the shore, on both sides of the river and they were so far away. Even on a clear lake it would take me 20 minutes to swim it, but I was already struggling to float and my breathing was giving out. The look of the distance filled me with despair and I felt very alone. My brother looked terrified, as I'm sure I did also.
I started to remember the things you hear about being stuck in a rip.. "Just go with it".... "Swim sideways, don't fight it" and I had a few moments of panic, at the idea of letting myself go towards the larger waves and further out. I couldn't do it, I had to swim sideways across the waves and so I chose the one that looked closest, partly to keep an eye on my brother, but mostly to avoid the reminder of the terrifying distance between us and any shore. I laid somewhat on my back and started paddling, reminding my bro to do the same.
The waves continued to crash over us and smother us again and again, tumbling us upside down and holding us down, luckily the life jackets we were wearing helped us pop back up each time. Honestly without those I wouldn't have lasted 1 minute out there, even now I know I almost died while wearing one.
I am not sure how long we swam for, maybe 10 minutes, fighting the waves, calling to each other (we were about 20ft apart) all the while slowly calming down, slowing our breathing, trying to just paddle a bit without expending too much energy, avoiding waves, doing it again. I kept reminding him to relax, just paddle, breathe, lay on your back, don't rush... All of it was for my benefit as much as his.
He had his legs down in the water, something I'm not keen on since I still fear being eaten by sharks for some reason (which we later learned there were tiger sharks that hang out there), and because of this he felt his toes touch a sandbank! I couldn't believe it, I put my feet down and sure enough sand. Just deep enough to not allow us to fully stand, but enough to give us a little touch of God's awesome earth once more and a little hope. I had a moment to look towards shore again and noticed that we were even further from the shore we were aiming at, but closer to the other. Both frustrating and relieving at the same time, since our efforts had been in vain. We now slowly paddled towards the closer shore which for the first time looked like a distance we might be able to make. I tried waving at the fisherman on the rocks but they were still to far to see if they even saw us. A little further on we found a sand bank that allowed us to stand now in mid-chest height and was able to stop and breath and rest. The waves were smaller here and I noticed for the first time the strength of the current, it was no wonder we were sucked out to sea.
And then, the lifeguards! A bright red rubber boat sped up to us and asked us if we needed a ride back in. I almost declined out of embarrassment, but like the oars I threw that out and gladly accepted. They pulled us aboard and we sped back to shore.
They returned to the water to get the oars and see if they could get the kayak and we sat against a rock and just rested.
I felt sick to my stomach, I think from all the seawater I swallowed. I felt tired. I felt bad. A kind fisherman returned us to our beach and towed the kayak back. I had written the kayak and the oars off and would have gladly bought many more in exchange for my life, but we got it back.

Michael and Lina from the Maroochydore lifesavers club were our lifeguards who rescued us, and I am very grateful to them. I will be making something 3d printed for them I think :)

The moment of absolute terror I felt and the certainty that I was going to die will probably not leave me for some time. It's been almost 24 hours and I still feel very similar to when it first happened. The feeling you get when someone scares you - except it's been going on all night and day. It will fade I'm sure, but not soon enough.

So, if you ever visit Australia, or if you live here as I do. Don't take the power of the ocean lightly. Check and double check the tide direction and if you go in a boat. Make sure it has life jackets. I would be another name in the local newspaper if it weren't for the jacket. Oh and try to relax, and don't fight the surf.

Cheers.
Isaac.
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)
shapeshifter
Prints-a-lot

Re: Welcome to Australia

Post by shapeshifter »

Shit that's scary mate and unfortunately I know exactly how you feel. Glad you're ok though!!! Take it easy and hopefully your feeling much better now!!!
craftymethod
Printmaster!

Post by craftymethod »

wow man... that's a crazy story!

Glad you got out of it ok...

My name is Benjamin from south WA.. be warned... we have some crrrazzzzy sea conditions here!
crocky
Printmaster!

Post by crocky »

Just as well you're still around :)

I have been busy as usual, that much to do and I don't know where to start.... Haven't got the second extruder going yet, too many print jobs to do :) current project is a Beaglebone Black with a 4.3" Cape that I am learning to program :)
Bob
Rostock Max V2, Ball Cup Arms, New Carriages, HE280, Dampers, PSU Breathing, Simplify 3D, GeckoTek3D, Raspberry Pi3. Duet soon... Kossel Mini still under construction.
Delta's are the way!
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

Yeah I'm glad I'm around, took me a day or so to fully realise that I actually was still alive. Sounds odd, but getting out alive felt so surreal that I wasn't sure I actually had.

I even went to the beach and caught some waves with only slight nervousness. All is good, life is good.
apostoly
Printmaster!

Post by apostoly »

McSlappy wrote:Yeah I'm glad I'm around, took me a day or so to fully realise that I actually was still alive. Sounds odd, but getting out alive felt so surreal that I wasn't sure I actually had.

I even went to the beach and caught some waves with only slight nervousness. All is good, life is good.
Wow what a story, glad you're ok mate!!
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

Story needs more sharks, snakes, spiders and drop bears for foreigners reading in.

Glad to hear you made it.

I spend a lot of time on or under the water off Perth but, apart from the sea breeze that brings in decent size swell, I'm on a reasonable boat with no horror stories yet. Touch wood.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

TIL that in Australia, even the water is pissed off and trying to kill you. (along with _everything_ else)

:D

How close do you live to Woorim?

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

I'd like to try Perth's water some day....

Woorim... Looks like just over 1 hour from me, why?
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

My Spitfire-crazy friend lives there. He's the one that's derailed my F-15 progress by burying me in Bf-109 engineering drawings. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Haha

I spent my post-divorce year living in a workshop (a pretty nice one). My 'flatmate' was a Merlin engine out of, I think, a Sea Spirit bomber. Bloody monster of a thing. I believe it's been moved on and possibly headed to a spitty frame, again somewhere local - possibly the aviation museum.
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

I'll be heading to Perth come June to deliver a paper at the Heavy Haul Conference. Sounds like you just have to avoid all live things and drink beer.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Pretty simple, sound approach to personal safety and sanity.

At least in June the temperatures will be compatible with human survival.
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

Yeah, it's not the heat that'll kill you, it's the humidity :)
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

Coming from Alabama, I understand!
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

@ Nite; Yeah I bet Alabama gets bloody humid. I lived in Colorado when I was over there and the dryness was lovely - even hot days couldn't hold the heat... Ah Colorado.. Your beer was the best..
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

geneb wrote:My Spitfire-crazy friend lives there. He's the one that's derailed my F-15 progress by burying me in Bf-109 engineering drawings. :)

g.
So you're switching your project from your f-15? Are you building the other plane now? What's this crazy Aussie done to you? Do I need to go over there and talk some sense?
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

No, the F-15 just stares angrily at me when I go out to the workshop and don't sit down at the electronics bench to finish the left side console wiring harness. :)

The Bf-109K4 project is a 2 meter cockpit section that I'm trying to complete in SolidWorks before I start cutting any structure. It's taking a while because every time I think I'm done, someone pops up with a better drawing or more detailed info and that triggers part changes. :)

g.
Delta Power!
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

So you're reconstructing the cockpit from drawings - are you able to go and find an existing one and sit in it for a few hours to get all the bits and pieces?

Once you've done with the model are you building it or is he doing that?

Your f-15 project always fascinated me, a spitfire is awesome too. Will you make these into flight simulators?
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

There's no Bf-109s local to me that I can access, so it's all photos & mechanical drawings. When I'm done with the CAD work, I'll likely do a test build using dirt cheap OSB (Oriented Strand Board) to get all the toolpaths correct and validate the assembly process. The OSB I have access to averages 12.5mm thickness, so it's a good material to use in place of the 12mm Baltic Birch I want to use in the final version. I can afford to screw up a lot with $9 sheets of OSB over the $45 sheets of BB. :) The end use will be flight simulators. I'll work the bugs out of the systems using FlightGear (http://www.flightgear.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and will eventually use it with the DCS Bf-109K4 Karfurst (the "u" has umlauts) game.

I don't know if Ross is going to build one or not. He'll end up with all my part files when I'm done with it.

g.
Delta Power!
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

So you'll have a one of a kind custom flight sim with an accurately themed cockpit?
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

It won't be one of a kind. I will likely sell plans and an instrument panel kit.

g.
Delta Power!
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

I expect to see some sort of coverage of this on some extreme tech show :)
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

This is the blog entry I wrote up for the project: http://www.simpits.org/geneb/?p=365" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D

g.
Delta Power!

Return to “Australia and New Zealand”