best source of high quality filament in NZ

Here's a place to share with others local to you
jason128
Printmaster!

best source of high quality filament in NZ

Post by jason128 »

anyone have a source of good quality filament in NZ? i don't mind paying a premium knowing its good quality.
so far i have tried a few trade me suppliers, and Sandbrooks -reeltoreal.co.nz
but so far none are nearly as strong as the seemecnc filament i have.
the best success with locally sourced filament was with PLA branded for a up printer - the trouble is it only comes in 500g and costs stupid amounts.

the good quality stuff seems to get much better bonding between layers, and never have any extrusions peeling away- where as the stuff i have had from Sandbrooks seems to really struggle with interlyayer strength.

i'm mainly after strength- and tend to print in abs more than anything else

any ideas would be great

cheers

Jason
'
D-G-C
Plasticator

Re: best source of high quality filament in NZ

Post by D-G-C »

Hi Jason,

Did you contact Tasman Machinery http://www.tasmanmachinery.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ? They selling 3D printer and I suppose they will sell filament as well.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Check out doodaddoes on youtube or mcslappy ? On this forum. I think he sells the stuff over there and seems to be an honest guy.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

D-G-C wrote:Hi Jason,

Did you contact Tasman Machinery http://www.tasmanmachinery.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ? They selling 3D printer and I suppose they will sell filament as well.
Considering that they seem to be sellers of industrial machines, I doubt that the filaments would be cheap or available by the spool. Most of the industrial printers I have encountered want cartridges of filament with authentication chips, and the cost of those is quite high, while they cannot be refilled, meaning that Tasman would be unlikely to have spooled filament at any price, much less a reasonable one.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Teoman's sources are probably both good sources for those down under.
Someone who lives in Australia really should consider a Filastruder filament making machine and set up a business of creating filaments for use for
those who live in Australia. I have a feeling that such a business would do well. Just eliminating the super expensive costs of shipping should ensure
such a business would do well as long as the owner of the Company knows how to treat customers.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

http://forum.seemecnc.com/memberlist.ph ... ile&u=1428" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
jason128
Printmaster!

Post by jason128 »

thanks for that- Ill try Tasman machinery.- looks like they sell makerbot for $80nzd per kg. Anyone had any experience with the quality of this? I dont mind paying a premium if its good, but its double the rate of generic stuff floating around on trademe

Unfortunately usually its faster & cheaper to order from seemecnc or E3d than Aussie, as the freight ends up being similar.

At the moment iv'e had very mixed results form different suppliers, and i suspect most are using the same generic wholesaler, as the look exactly the same.
If i have any success ill let you know
D-G-C
Plasticator

Post by D-G-C »

teoman wrote:Check out doodaddoes on youtube or mcslappy ? On this forum. I think he sells the stuff over there and seems to be an honest guy.
I agree DooDasDoes is a good source in Australia. I got my Delta from him. I posted the link to avoid the oversee postage. Postage is expensive in Australia compare with other countries.
I will ask Isaac if he will start the proposed filament production ;)

Return to “Australia and New Zealand”