Thread Locking Compound

A place for the physical connections
Bumblebee
Noob

Thread Locking Compound

Post by Bumblebee »

Hey,
In the Rostock MAX assembly guide, it recommends using thread locking compound to keep the grub screws in the motor gear and mounting hardware to ensure they don't come loose.
Is this a necessary step? Or is it skipping it something that just adds some maintenance time down the road? If its just an inconvenience, how serious of one is it?
Thanks!
lordbinky
Printmaster!

Re: Thread Locking Compound

Post by lordbinky »

Skipping it would add maintenance time later that could be avoided, but that is after you figure out what is wrong and where. Additionally, you'd be lucky if it doesn't mess up a print which could already have hours of work into it, but that's unlikely because why would you notice something is wrong before it messes up?
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

I wouldn't skip it for those particular screws.
If the drive gears slip on the motor shaft, it tends to be more subtle than you would expect and can lead to a lot of swearing tracking it down.
Batteau62
Printmaster!

Post by Batteau62 »

Don't skip this, in fact I would consider filing a flat on the stepper motor shafts to ensure no slipping. I just had a pulley move(with flats and thread lock) back toward a stepper. There is a fair amount of vibration and movement involved with a Max. Do anything to keep things in place, you will thank yourself later. :)
-"Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool."
-"As soon as you make something fool proof...along comes an idiot."
-"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." ~Thomas Edison
cambo3d
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by cambo3d »

this shouldn't be optional, its a must to prevent those screws from undoing themselves, which they will overtime. threadlocker will prevent this from happening and save you a bunch of troubleshooting time later on.
September
Prints-a-lot

Post by September »

Batteau62 wrote:Don't skip this, in fact I would consider filing a flat on the stepper motor shafts to ensure no slipping. I just had a pulley move(with flats and thread lock) back toward a stepper. There is a fair amount of vibration and movement involved with a Max. Do anything to keep things in place, you will thank yourself later. :)

FYI, the current stepper motors that come with the RostockMAX (Wantai) already have a flat side and the pulleys that come with are dual grubs, at least in the kit I received early June.

Either way as others have stated highly recommended to use the thread locking compound, it's not that expensive and may save you a world of hurt later down the track, far easier to do it now.
CJGerard
Printmaster!

Post by CJGerard »

Don't use the permanent thread compound. Ie, if you are using Loctite use the "Blue" and do not use the "Red." The only way to get the red to break loose later is to either super heat it or drill out the screws.
Boss 1 - "I'm tiered of arguing with you! You come up with the MOST Stupid-Outlandish-Impossible way to do something & then you walk out into the shop and DO IT and IT WORKS. Its no fun anymore."
Boss 2 - "Huh? Chris is a Ninja?"

Return to “Nuts and Bolts”