Duet setup - instructions in progress

3D-Print
Printmaster!

Re: Duet setup - instructions in progress

Post by 3D-Print »

IMBoring25 wrote:I'm not sure what arguments and/or permissions that shell script might need. The instructions I've been using to flash mine came from the RepRapPro site, where they call bossac directly, the Mac command being:

Code: Select all

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/bossac -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmware-XXX-DD-MM-YYYY.bin
The arguments are -e[rase], -w[rite], -v[erify], -b[oot] and the path to the firmware image you want to flash.
Interesting that the "Java/......" Folder and subfolder is not present on my computer. Not sure if this is why I was having in consistent problems.
My 3D-Printing learning curve is asymptotic to a Delta's X, Y and Z-axes
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Of note, after I did the initial flash of the panel due, I had trouble with the touchscreen with slow response times. I could not change any settings or baud rate. Therefore I re-flashed to the prior version, and reset the baud rate to which fixed the problem!?

After this I could not connect the panel due to the duet. I did not unplug the panel due from the duets during the re-flash and I was suspicious that I had also he erased the firmware of the duet which has been noted in other threads. Therefore I tried to re-flash the duet, however using exactly the same commands as above, I was not able to connect with the error it could not find the port. Despite the terminal window command not finding the port, the arduino app was able to communicate with the port I defined and with "M" codes I was able to confirm that the firmware was still present.

Thus, I'm not sure why the terminal window commands would not connect to the duet, but would connect to the panel due?

After I reset the baud rate on the panel duet down (56K) everything's OK and it would connect to the duet.

Thus, not sure why the iMac is fussy but it is definitely fussy!!
Last edited by 3D-Print on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Next to update the SD card. Still reading and learning but does everything the duet needs reside on the SD card in the three folders as detailed on page one of this thread by mhackney.

Thanks.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Yes, those should do it

/sys

is the important one

/web is also for the web interface

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Copied off the config.g, home delta.g and bed.g files that mhackney posted. I installed these on the SD card in the respective folder. I did not touch any other files.

Was able to connect to the printer and the PanelDue was active, however I could not do anything other than "home" the print head which did not move appropriately. When I hit the home button the y and z axis carriages dropped while the X axis carriage did not move and was freely movable as if the stepper was not activated.

I tried geneb config.g file as well and had the same results. I also had a different SD card and the same result. Using the PanelDue I was not able to activate the print bed or hot end. As well not able to manually move any axis.

Is there something I missed with the SD card files? The X, y and z end stop LED are lit up. I will triple check the contacts/Molex connectors again but these were ok.

I have not connected to my iMac via the cat5 yet.

Thanks.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

All, please remember that my files are for guidance only. You should work through configuration as described on David's blog. My machine is highly customized and has different steps per mm and motion may even be reversed from a stock modern rostock. I also use a geared extruder (QR).

We need someone with a stock Rostock to configure and then post their files for the "masses".

The stepper direction is dependent on two things: how it's wired and how its configured in config.g. It sounds like yours might be the opposite so you need to change the direction in config.g

The end stop LEDs should only light up for a brief instant while homing as I recall - I'm traveling so can;t verify, maybe someone else can. This can also be changed in config.g although I'm not sure why yours would be different as this is about the only stock thing left on my Max!

Do you see reasonable room temperature readings on the temp display?

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Yes, the temperatures are appropriate.

It does make sense that your config.g is different and recognize that the radius, height and delta arm length is machine variable. As you mentioned on page one, this should at least allow you to know everything is functioning, then just need to adjust accordingly to match each printer. This is why I was appreciative that geneb also posted his confg.g........... with which I still had the same issues.

If the config.g should have worked (even if I needed to reverse the congif.g stepper directions) it would makes me think that there is a physical contact issue with a wire, or a Molex connector and thus the reason I could not control the print head manually with the Panel Due. I do wonder if it is something else is the issue since I had a problem with all three axis (i.e. I could not control any axis with the PanelDue), as well as I could not turn on the print bed or HotEnd. The bed is functional and works as posted earlier when I switched to 24V and manually activated the SSR with 12V after which bed and bed LED responded appropriately.

As I type, I wonder if this is an issue between the PanelDue and Duet. The firmware I used for the PanelDue is "PanelDue-7.0-1.13.bin" and the firmware for the Duet is "RepRapFirmware-1.09r-dc42.bin"

Thanks for all the insight!!

Dan
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

We need someone with a stock Rostock to configure and then post their files for the "masses".
I wish I was more capable, I would do it if I was. Still trying to figure the coding out. Gives me a headache! :(
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Give me a bit to get my ducks in a row and I'll post my files for Blue MAX. It's a v1 with the new carriages and arms.

Plug your PEEK fan into the FAN 1 (leave FAN 0 for the layer fan) connector and put "M106 P1 T60" in your config.g file - when the hot end hits 60C, it'll turn the fan on just as it did with Repetier Firmware. The down side is that it doesn't obey the speed (Snnn) parameter, so you can't dial back the velocity of you want to.

You'll also need to issue M106 I0 so the fan outputs aren't inverted.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

geneb wrote:Give me a bit to get my ducks in a row and I'll post my files for Blue MAX. It's a v1 with the new carriages and arms.

Plug your PEEK fan into the FAN 1 (leave FAN 0 for the layer fan) connector and put "M106 P1 T60" in your config.g file - when the hot end hits 60C, it'll turn the fan on just as it did with Repetier Firmware. The down side is that it doesn't obey the speed (Snnn) parameter, so you can't dial back the velocity of you want to.

g.
Awesome! Thank you!!!
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

geneb wrote:Give me a bit to get my ducks in a row and I'll post my files for Blue MAX. It's a v1 with the new carriages and arms.

g.
Thanks Gene, looking forward to it. How do you train ducks anyway?
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

With Ritz Quackers? :D
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

With the idea that this was a problem with the PanelDue and Duet interface, I remembered something that David Crocker mentioned in his commissioning instructions (https://miscsolutions.wordpress.com/paneldue/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). "If the PanelDue does not pick up the temperatures; machine name etc. from your printer, it may be that the baud rates do not match."

When I got home late last evening from work, I checked and indeed, the PanelDue were not set at the same rate as the Duet. changed the baud rate in the config.g to mach the 115200 of the PanelDue. This then allowed me to activate the HotEnd and print bed on the Duet with both LED lights turning on. :D :D

The HotEnd came up to temp, however, my bed didn't activate. As mentioned earlier, I knew the SSR was functional, thus, after rechecking my wiring, I took out the duet board and on the back of the board realized there is polarity to the heated bed terminal block and I had attached the SSR wires like the Duet power input terminal block which was reversed. Thus, after switching the wires to match the heater terminal block +/- appropriately (see image with correct [red (+) and black (-)], the SSR activated and the bed came to 100 degrees very quickly (faster than the HotEnd heated to 200 degrees)!!! :D :D Both the HotEnd and Onyx maintained temp switching on and off.

I still have to reverse the stepper directions.............. and then calibrate.......

Sorry, I edited a number of times, can't type today!!!!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

That's great progress. I thought you mentioned earlier that the PanelDue and Duet baud rates matched (I am traveling and reading on my iPhone) otherwise I would have suggested checking that - sorry!

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

3D-Print, thanks for your post, that's the kind of post we need to help more people, like me, to figure things out.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Windshadow wrote:With Ritz Quackers? :D
You Quack me up!
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

mhackney wrote:That's great progress. I thought you mentioned earlier that the PanelDue and Duet baud rates matched (I am traveling and reading on my iPhone) otherwise I would have suggested checking that - sorry!
Not a problem. I did say that and had backed down the down the rate when I was updating the PanelDue firmware because it would not connect to the duet. I didn't try to home or turn on the HotEnd at that time since it was not set up for the V2. But when I copied over your config.g I did not change the set baud of 111520 of your config.g file. They are now both set to the same.

Thanks.
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

The above is a great example of "my signature" asymptotic comment!!!

Regarding learning, as I understand g-code more and more, I excited about what it can do and scared about how I can mess it all up!!!
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Here is a video clip of what happens when I "Home!"

You can see the X and Z axis move up towards the end stops and the Y axis drops (at a different and slower rate).

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2gz9-uhuJA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Thus, I thought I likely had a bad connection on the Y-axis stepper, or a reversed wire in the Molex connector (not so). I removed the Duet, cut the Y-axis stepper wires, made up new Molex connectors and tried again....... As geneb would say....... Bammmmm......... Same thing..

So here is where it get freaky.
I swapped the Z-axis and the Y-axis molex connectors on the board and ........... exactly the same thing as in the movie????????
So I put the Z axis back in it's correct position on the Duet and swapped the X-axis and the Y-axis and .......... exactly the same movement?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
I then disconnected the Y-axis and the the only thing that happened is that the y-axis stepper did not engage and was freely moveable while the X-axis and Z-axis moved up to the EndStops.
I disconnected both the Y and Z-steppers and the X-axis moved up towards the EndStop.

How the _________#$@**%$$ does that happen???? :shock:
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

The other interesting aspect is that I cannot manually control any of the stepper motors from the PanelDue or the web interface. The only thing I can manually control is the bed temp and the hot end.
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

I reflashed the Duet and PanelDue to make sure the firmware was not the issue. Of note, I could not do this from the iMac (3 hours latter) however, very easily performed this from my PC at work with only 15 minutes of effort. I copied all the files in a single folder to my PC desktop and performed the following using the attached bossac.exe.

Two notes: 1) I had to erase and reset both the Duet and PanelDue before the COM was recognized, and 2) I still could not get the PanelDue -7.0-1.3 to function properly, thus I used 1.12.
For the Duet:
1. Press Erase button on the duet.
2. Wait for a count of 5s
3. Press the Reset button on the Duet.
4. Wait for a count of 5s
5. Disconnect
6. Re-connect Duet USB
8. Start Command Prompt
8. In Device manager (i.e. Ports) find the COM the Duet is connected
9. bossac --port=COMX -U true -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmwareXXX-YYY.bin
10. Wait for flash to finish and reset the duet.
11. Disconnect Duet USB

For the PanelDue:
1. Press Erase button on the PanelDue.
2. Wait for a count of 5s
3. Press the Reset button on the PanelDue.
4. Wait for a count of 5s
5. Disconnect USB
6. Re-connect Duet USB
7. Start Command Prompt
8. In Device manager (i.e. Ports) find the COM the PanelDue is connected to
9. bossac --port=COMX -U true -e -w -v -b PanelDue-XXX-YYY.bin
10. Wait for flash to finish and reset the PanelDue.
11. Disconnect PanelDue USB
bossac.zip
(254.17 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Despite all of this the home action is the same as the above attached video. I am thinking this is a board issue. :?:
Last edited by 3D-Print on Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Here is my config.g that I modified from geneb.

Maybe someone sees something funky that is causing the issues.

Thanks,

Dan

; Basic configuration for My BAP - a Rostock MAX V2

; Communication and general
M111 S0 ; Debug off
M550 PBad Ass Printer ; Machine name and Netbios name (can be anything you like)
M551 Prostock ; Machine password (used for FTP)
M540 P0xBE:0xEF:0xDE:0xAD:0xFE:0xED ; MAC Address
;*** Adjust the IP address and gateway in the following 2 lines to suit your network
M552 P10.0.1.199 ; IP address.
M554 P10.0.1.199 ; Gateway
M553 P255.255.255.0 ; Netmask
M555 P2 ; Set output to look like Marlin
G21 ; Work in millimetres
G90 ; Send absolute coordinates...
M83 ; ...but relative extruder moves
M575 P1 B115200 S1 ; Set auxillary serial port baud rate and require checksum (For PanelDue)

;Turn off fans
;M106 I1 ; fans are inverting
M106 P0 S0 ; Turn off Fan 0 (backward compatible with older firmware)
;M106 P1 S0 ; Turn off Fan 1
M106 P1 T60 S55 ;Activate Fan #1 if the extruder temp is over 60C.

; Axis and motor configuration
M569 P0 S0 ; X Drive 0 goes backwards
M569 P1 S0 ; Y Drive 1 goes backwards
M569 P2 S0 ; Z Drive 2 goes backwards
M569 P3 S0 ; E0 Drive 3 (extruder) goes backwards
;M569 P4 S1 ; E1 Drive 4 goes forwards
;M569 P5 S1 ; E2 Drive 5 goes forwards
;M569 P6 S1 ; E3 Drive 6 goes forwards
;M569 P7 S1 ; E4 Drive 7 goes forwards
;M569 P8 S1 ; E5 Drive 8 goes forwards - not used with 2-fans version of firmware.

M574 X2 Y2 Z2 S1 ; set endstop configuration (all endstops at high end, active high)
;*** The homed height is deliberately set too high in the following - you will adjust it during calibration.
M665 R129 L269 B140 H360.0 ; set delta radius, diagonal rod length, printable radius and homed height
M666 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00 ; put your endstop adjustments here, as given by auto calibration 22/05/15
M92 X80 Y80 Z80 ; Set axis steps/mm
M906 X1000 Y1000 Z1000 E1500:1500:1500:1500:1500:1500 ; Set motor currents (mA); set each extruder explicitly
M906 I100 ; Set motor idle factor to 100% while testing so they don't idle at all
M201 X1000 Y1000 Z1000 E1000 ; Accelerations (mm/s^2) Set all E-motors the same
M203 X20000 Y20000 Z20000 E3600 ; Maximum speeds (mm/min) Set all E-motors the same
M566 X1200 Y1200 Z1200 E1200 ; Maximum instant speed changes mm/minute. Set all E-motors the same

; Thermistors
; Duet0.8.5 uses 4.7K resistors
M305 P0 T100000 B3950 R4700 H30 L0 ; Put your own H and/or L values here to set the bed thermistor ADC correction
M305 P1 T100000 B4267 R4700 H30 L0 ; Put your own H and/or L values here to set the 1st nozzle thermistor ADC correction
M305 P2 T100000 B4267 R4700 H30 L0 ; Put your own H and/or L values here to set the 2nd nozzle thermistor ADC correction
M305 P3 T100000 B4267 R4700 H30 L0 ; Put your own H and/or L values here to set the 3rd nozzle thermistor ADC correction
M305 P4 T100000 B4267 R4700 H30 L0 ; Put your own H and/or L values here to set the 4th nozzle thermistor ADC correction
M305 P5 T100000 B4267 R4700 H30 L0 ; Put your own H and/or L values here to set the 5th nozzle thermistor ADC correction
;M305 P6 T100000 B4267 R4700 H30 L0 ; Put your own H and/or L values here to set the 6th nozzle thermistor ADC correction

M570 S180 ; Hot end may be a little slow to heat up so allow it 180 seconds

; Tool definitions FOR stock SeeMeCNC hot end - Tool 0.
M563 P0 D0 H1 ; Define tool 0
G10 P0 S0 R0 ; Set tool 0 operating and standby temperatures
M92 E94.35 ; Set steps/mm for extruder 0.

;*** If you have a dual-nozzle build, un-comment the next 2 lines
;M563 P1 D1 H2 ; Define tool 1
;G10 P1 S0 R0 ; Set tool 1 operating and standby temperatures

;*** With a Duex 4 add 3 more tools
;M563 P2 D2 H3 ; Define tool 2
;G10 P2 S0 R0 ; Set tool 0 operating and standby temperatures

;M563 P3 D3 H4 ; Define tool 3
;G10 P3 S0 R0 ; Set tool 0 operating and standby temperatures

;M563 P4 D4 H5 ; Define tool 4
;G10 P4 S0 R0 ; Set tool 0 operating and standby temperatures

;M563 P5 D5 H6 ; Define tool 5
;G10 P5 S0 R0 ; Set tool 0 operating and standby temperatures

// Z probe and compensation definition
;*** If you have an IR zprobe instead of a switch, change P4 to P1 in the following M558 command
;*** FSR is a switch, so set to P4! Is H3 important?
M558 P4 X0 Y0 Z0 H5 F300 ; Z probe is a switch and is not used for homing any axes
G31 X0 Y0 Z0 ; Set the zprobe height and threshold (put your own values here)

;*** If you are using axis compensation, put the figures in the following command
M556 S78 X0 Y0 Z0 ; Axis compensation here
M208 S1 Z-0.2 ; set minimum Z
;
T0 ; select first hot end.
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

OK I tried everything on RepRap (https://reprappro.com/documentation/tro ... r_problems" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) as well as rewired and put on new Molex connectors to ensure that I did crush and break a wire. The problem still exist and these are in the correct spot (see image)

It does look like this is a board issue. Have contacted RepRap and Filastuder and will keep this updated.
Attachments
image.jpeg
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

RepRapPro is no longer a going concern. They were half the team that developed the Duet, the other half being Think3DPrint3D. That is your likely source for ongoing technical support.

Return to “Duet”