Rostock MAX v3 Crash with Dual Extrusion

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
PengLord
Plasticator

Rostock MAX v3 Crash with Dual Extrusion

Post by PengLord »

I have a Rostock MAX v3 equipped with the dual-extrusion Y-Adapter.
The currently firmware is 0.92.2 (20170822)
The only change to configuration.h is specifying that the the printer is equipped with the y-adapter (#define NUM_EXTRUDER = 2)

Whether I am using Mattercontrol of sliced gcode from Simplify3D, when the machine needs to switch filament it retracts E0 properly but then crashes and becomes non-responsive before engaging E1. By all accounts E1 appears to be properly installed. Additionally, when I "home all" the machine homes then locks up as well. This is the second RAMBo and LCD controller I've had installed, the previous unit experienced random lock ups.

I have not added any tool change code to Mattercontrol of S3D, I could not determine if it would be necessary.

I can print fine while only using a single extruder.

Summary of actions: Clear EEPROM, flash firmware (almost completely straight from GitHub), calibrate, print, lock up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
spudman
Noob

Re: Rostock MAX v3 Crash with Dual Extrusion

Post by spudman »

this sounds eerily familiar .... so what version of Arduino are you using?

Had a very similar experience with the firmware on my max v3 dual install. After some digging through these forums I found a post suggesting an older version of the Arduino IDE. The version that worked for me was v1.6.2. Hope it does the trick for you.
PengLord
Plasticator

Post by PengLord »

spudman wrote:this sounds eerily familiar .... so what version of Arduino are you using?

Had a very similar experience with the firmware on my max v3 dual install. After some digging through these forums I found a post suggesting an older version of the Arduino IDE. The version that worked for me was v1.6.2. Hope it does the trick for you.
Thank you, I'm on layer three of a dual-color print now. All I can say about this situation is "wow", can't believe all it took was down grading the IDE.
This weekend, I'll experiment with newer versions of the IDE but for now, I'm printing.

Thank you again.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Welcome to implementing complex projects in Arduino (Or anything really). A change in the build environment can cause really astoundingly strange behavior, and unfortunately, Arduino occasionally lets them through without throwing the correct error.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001

Return to “RostockMAX v3”