WIP info & photos.

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

WIP info & photos.

Post by geneb »

As I posted elsewhere, I've created a 1:1 scale hardware chart to make it easy to identify parts. Here's what that looks like:
full size screw drawings.PDF
(182.17 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
This is what the kit looks like when you get it. There may be some small packaging differences, but by and large, the image is representative of what you'll receive.
kit contents.png
People that have built earlier versions of the Rostock MAX will be happy to know that there's no more RTV! The HE280 hot end has been updated to use a heater cartridge and that means no RTV is required on the hot end. As a safety feature, the HE280 has a low-temp thermal fuse attached to the heat sink. If there's ever a runaway heating condition, the thermal fuse will pop and kill power to the heater cartridge - it's wired inline.

No more running piles of wire through the towers! Because the v3 contains all the "brains" and motors in the top, there's only five wires to run now! 1 12awg black wire goes in the X tower, 1 12awg black wire and two 26ga white wires run in the Y tower, and 1 12awg red wire runs in the Z tower. One black & red go "up" to the RAMBo and one black goes "down" to the Onyx. The + terminal of the Onyx is directly connected to the power supply via a 700mm 12awg red wire. That amount of wire should make it very easy to work on the Onyx or power supply if necessary.

More soon!

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Re: WIP info & photos.

Post by Tincho85 »

As always, great work Gene.
Hmmm, I think I said this before, but being grateful is never redundant. You should know that when I was searching the web for my first 3d printer, your manual was the thing that made me pull the trigger and buy the RostockMAX.

A users guide/assembly manual is very important for first time users.
Martín S.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I'm happy to hear that Tincho85! I'm glad you liked it. I enjoy writing them.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
cloneit3d
Printmaster!

Post by cloneit3d »

Nice work Gene!!!!
Self designed plasma cutting table running Mach3
Orbot Hadron running and E3d 6, Smoothie on an Azteeg Mini, LCD, fully adjustable glass bed of my design with a silicone mat heater.
Prtrbot Simple Metal
Table top CNC running Mach 3
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

geneb wrote:People that have built earlier versions of the Rostock MAX will be happy to know that there's no more RTV! The HE280 hot end has been updated to use a heater cartridge and that means no RTV is required on the hot end. As a safety feature, the HE280 has a low-temp thermal fuse attached to the heat sink. If there's ever a runaway heating condition, the thermal fuse will pop and kill power to the heater cartridge - it's wired inline.
SeeMeCNC is releasing a lot of really innovative stuff this year. It's nice to see. I've never heard of anyone doing a thermal fuse on a hot end before.

Next thing I'd like to see is a 3D printer controller with three-wire fan headers, like PCs have, so the firmware could detect if the fan wasn't spinning for some reason.
Maddog
Plasticator

Post by Maddog »

Moved to Rostock Max V3,
Last edited by Maddog on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

Maddog wrote:Anybody independent reviewed the autoleveling feature yet? Does it work good? How accurate is it?
It's hit or miss on the Eris. SeeMeCNC claims it's more accurate on the MAX v3, possibly because the arms are stiffer.
While putting all the goodies up top may work for SEEMECNC, being top heavier is not a good thing. It's taller right? It was tall enough already.
I don't like that about it, but then I live where there are earthquakes.
I would like to see stepper vibration mounts that reduce noise. Cork gaskets work?
Look for the Astrosyn steel and rubber dampers on tridprinting.com. I would link you, but their site is flaky right now. The cork/rubber ones are crap compared to the Astrosyns because only the Astrosyns provide full isolation. With rubber/cork, plenty of vibration is free to be transmitted to the frame through the mounting screws.
Did they fix it so you can tighten the belts without 3 hands? Phillips Screwdriver, wrench and flat screwdriver. I prefer to use 2 hands. Can't a simpler tension screw be added to each tower.
The motor mount is designed to allow repositioning the motor in order to modify the tension.
I was hoping they would add a dual extruder option and a real place for the filament spool to go.
In 2016, I think every newly released printer should have support, at least as an add-on, for three extruders. Accommodations should be built into the frame, etc.

Return to “RostockMAX v3”