Bed resistor?

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
skyjuice
Printmaster!

Bed resistor?

Post by skyjuice »

Hey everyone,

Hope all of you are experiencing perfect prints with perfect temps and no other problems! Haha, anyways, I have been looking through these forums for an answer, but it seems I may be the first one to ask. What is the actual name or typr of resistor that goes on the bottom of the Rev 8 heat bed? I think that could be the problem when my temps go DEF. The reason I say this is because all day, literally ALL day I have been trying to find the source to my temps/thermistors failing and when I was applying the Kapton tape back to secure the bed wires (I had given up for the night), I accidentally moved the resistor and like magic, the temps showed up on the LCD and no more DEF. I will definitely replace the resistor as I believe that was the culprit all along. I guess I just didn't think that had that big of an impact on the entire operation. What do you all think? I am open to ideas.

also, I have replaced the bed thermistor two times today with new ones, didn't remedy the DEF. Also using a brand spanking new HE from Seemecnc (factory assembled for warranty). Just thought that would be relevant to share.

thanks in advance and I hope that if someone else is having the same issue, that this thread can help them as well.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Bed resistor?

Post by teoman »

Which resistor are you talking about (i have the v2).

On mine there are resistors on the bed to limit the current going to the LED's.

You do not really need them. But they should also not affect the operation of the thermistor.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
nebbian
Printmaster!

Post by nebbian »

Have you tried resoldering the resistor?
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Perhaps your resistor is improperly placed, and you are shorting out the thermistor instead? Like Teoman said, the resistor is only for limiting current to the led.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
skyjuice
Printmaster!

Post by skyjuice »

I have the V3. Yeah, I know it limits the flow to the LED and was surprised that the temps changed when moved it. I tried that trick again this morning and of course the resistor snapped off. Now i'm off to waste another day looking for that thing. Customer service blows. They don't have a phone number and their support emails sometimes take a couple days.

What else should I be looking for regarding the heat bed, when dealing with random DEF temps? Replaced thermistor, checked solders, even resoldered. Ideas?
moo77777
Prints-a-lot

Post by moo77777 »

When you start up the printer, what are the temperatures that it reads before it goes DEF?
skyjuice
Printmaster!

Post by skyjuice »

moo77777 wrote:When you start up the printer, what are the temperatures that it reads before it goes DEF?
NOZ: 33
BED: 13
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

skyjuice wrote:
moo77777 wrote:When you start up the printer, what are the temperatures that it reads before it goes DEF?
It's the bed thermistor reading low. Below ~14C, it will error out. You can either adjust the Beta value in the firmware to correct for this, or reduce the temp at which it errors. Alternatively, if it actually is that cold, move your printer somewhere warmer.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
skyjuice
Printmaster!

Post by skyjuice »

Xenocrates wrote:
skyjuice wrote:
It's the bed thermistor reading low. Below ~14C, it will error out. You can either adjust the Beta value in the firmware to correct for this, or reduce the temp at which it errors. Alternatively, if it actually is that cold, move your printer somewhere warmer.
Thank goodness it's not that cold! I built a laboratory in my garage with a nice electric baseboard heater :-) I also replaced the thermistor and now it's been running for abour 15 hours with no hiccups!!

Return to “RostockMAX v3”