usb switch

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
wshiwsbrding
Prints-a-lot

usb switch

Post by wshiwsbrding »

Anybody successfully using a usb swtich in their v3? Will it work to be automatic or must it have manual buttons?

I found this one I was thinking of trying: https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-2-Port-Pr ... AKQX6BFQC5
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: usb switch

Post by mhackney »

What problem are you trying to solve?

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Noircogi
Printmaster!

Post by Noircogi »

A raspberry Pi 3 is only about $35 and provides a much more elegant solution for talking to your printer from multiple hosts.

Edit: It looks like you already have octoprint set up. In that case, perhaps you're trying to build and flash new firmware for the Max3.

That's a pretty rare thing to do, but if you plan do to it a lot, you can actually install the arduino tools on your RPI and build/install from there.

If you're looking to change repetier EEPROM settings, there's an octoprint plugin for that.
wshiwsbrding
Prints-a-lot

Post by wshiwsbrding »

Right now Im trying to figure out how to install geneb's plugin. So I have my rPi unplugged. I didnt know I could install Arduino tool right on my rPi and I don't know how to do that either way.

But I was also thinking I could put a usb switch in there for using mattercontrol for certain prints. As suggested by someone earlier I don't recall who. They seemed to have experience with it though they didnt say whether it mattered if the switch were automatic or manual.
Noircogi
Printmaster!

Post by Noircogi »

To install that plugin on my rpi, I just went to the plugins page on the octoprint web interface and pointed it to the .zip file for the plugin. Five seconds later it was done. Doing it that way won't auto-install new versions but is quick and easy.
wshiwsbrding
Prints-a-lot

Post by wshiwsbrding »

I finally did that too. It seemed blatantly obvious once I took notice of that field at the bottom of the plugin manager page, but tell you what, before that I was pretty well lost on getting that plugin installed.

I logged back into my rPi through putty, started playing with commands, nothing seemed to be what I needed to do. I tried pulling the sd card from the rPi to manually unpack the files onto it, but I couldnt find any directories matching the description so that wasnt it either. Then finally I noticed those fields on that page.

I ran the new auto calibration and was able to get it to .09 but that was the best I could do. My prints have already improved a little just from that though so Im stoked. Printing an ABS bottle adaptor for a cup holder in my brother's f150 currently and it looks great.

Back on subject a little, I went ahead and ordered the usb switch I linked to in my first post, plus a panel mount usb b cable that should be nice to have mounted to the designated usb cut out at the top.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I updated the README for those using the OctoPi distribution. The pip command that should be used in that case is in /home/pi/oprint/bin - if you log into the pi account and enter "./oprint/bin/pip install https://github.com/geneb/OctoPrint-Delt ... master.zip" the installation process will work fine.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects

Return to “RostockMAX v3”