'Home' when reset button is pushed

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
RichWP
Prints-a-lot

'Home' when reset button is pushed

Post by RichWP »

Hello,

On the RMv3, is there a way to add a G28/Home all axes command when I press the reset button?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Rich.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: 'Home' when reset button is pushed

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I'm hoping for this as well. I don't like having to navigate through the menu after killing a print just to home the thing. I liked it the way it was before.

I did notice "kill method" listed in the firmware, but there wasn't an explanation of what the options were, so I didn't play with it yet.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

And all this time I thought they killed it just for the Eris. Granted not everyone may be installing a display on theirs, but it does suck to have a hot nozzle stop and melt the surface of the fablam, or pei.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

I don't know what is supported by the standard electronics and firmware, but with Duet electronics you get Pause Print and Cancel Print buttons on the web interface and the touch panel. Their behaviour, as well as the behaviour at power on or reset, can be customised by editing gcode files on the SD card.

Doesn't the standard electronics/firmware combo provide a pause facility that moves the head away from the print? It seems to me that pressing the reset button is rather drastic and should only be used to stop a print where there is a risk of injury or damage. Also I don't think it is very safe for machinery to start moving as soon as it powered up.
nebbian
Printmaster!

Post by nebbian »

In Configuration.h, look for the line:

Code: Select all

#define DELTA_HOME_ON_POWER 1
This will home on power on, and also homes when you press the kill/reset button.

You can also kill a job by selecting SD card pause in the LCD menu, which parks the head a bit above the job, and allows you to resume it if required.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Thanks!!!
Line 711
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
RichWP
Prints-a-lot

Post by RichWP »

I don't know what is supported by the standard electronics and firmware, but with Duet electronics you get Pause Print and Cancel Print buttons on the web interface and the touch panel. Their behaviour, as well as the behaviour at power on or reset, can be customised by editing gcode files on the SD card.
Awesome... I plan on converting over to DuetWifi this weekend (can't wait!). I already pre-commissioned my board (per MHackney's directions) and am already pretty impressed just playing around with the web interface... Can't wait to see how it improves my prints.
Doesn't the standard electronics/firmware combo provide a pause facility that moves the head away from the print? It seems to me that pressing the reset button is rather drastic and should only be used to stop a print where there is a risk of injury or damage. Also I don't think it is very safe for machinery to start moving as soon as it powered up.
I just finished building my RMv3, so my use case for the reset button looks something like this:
1. Start print via SD card
2. Watch my first layer fail
3. Hit the reset button (then either manually move the hot-end off the print, or navigate the controller menu to 'home')
4. tweak settings
5. repeat until success
Right now the reset button (as far as I can tell) turns off the hot end, bed and disables all the steppers... Given that, adding 'home' to the sequence seems like it would be okay - let me know if I'm missing something.
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

I see the reset button as somewhat analogous to what would be called an emergency stop in industrial machinery. There are scenarios where you might want to use it and you wouldn't want the motors spinning back up...Hair or clothing caught in a mechanism or a failed endstop leading to failed homing and a motor grinding against the endstop...I'm sure there are more.

A custom "cancel print" macro is a better solution and I do have one on my Duet machine.
RichWP
Prints-a-lot

Post by RichWP »

Just an update for anyone who's interested... I contacted SeeMeCNC/Caleb about this, and here's the response I received:
Just asked John and there isn't currently a way to set the towers to home after reset with the new HE280 hotend, but we're working on getting that feature up and running.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Well, on the Eris, making the change that Nebbian suggested works on my Eris.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
RichWP
Prints-a-lot

Post by RichWP »

Well, on the Eris, making the change that Nebbian suggested works on my Eris.
It works fine on my RMv3 as well.

Sorry - I wasn't being clear - I asked SeeMe about this before Nebbian posted, and just got the response from them today, so I thought I'd share that this may be formally addressed in the future.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

To be clear, we are talking about 2 similar, but different settings... The difference may not matter to some, but I'm holding out for the answer to OP's question, myself.

- The reset button previously would kill the job and home the machine, which was nice because it wouldn't park the fully heated hotend on your (presumably) failed print. Turning on the power did NOT home the machine.

- The home on power setting will home the machine after a reset, yes. But it will also indiscriminately home the machine every single time that it turns on.

This is probably inconsequential for a machine in good repair, but there are definitely some circumstances where you wouldn't want the machine to home when you turned it on. On a new build, you'd crash the machine before you could confirm your endstops with M118. Plus, if you had an endstop failure (also mentioned above), you'd have a jackhammer or be grinding a belt before you could stop the machine and even load new firmware... For everyday printing it would be no problem, but the potential for problems and crashes does increase.
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

I totally agree Jim. And I am quite certain my V2 did exactly that: home after reset-button-press, but not after switching on. That is, untill I upgraded firmware to a non-SeeMeCNC branch. So I think it is something that was implemented in that branche, but not in current official Repetier firmware.
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!

Return to “RostockMAX v3”