Silencing The noise

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
djarmag
Printmaster!

Silencing The noise

Post by djarmag »

I was wondering if anyone has tried to lower the amount of noise this machine produces. I was thinking of dynamat lining the top section, or would it be unnecessary? Just a thought
dc42
Printmaster!

Re: Silencing The noise

Post by dc42 »

Upgrading the electronics to Duet WiFi should greatly reduce the noise generated by the stepper motors - I expect some of the R3 owners who have done it already can confirm this. The fan noise will probably be the next thing to work on.
tjschweizer
Plasticator

Post by tjschweizer »

So I first tried using Tricklaser's motor dampers, and it did quiet the noise significantly but it made belt tensioning a bit trickier. After I had gathered some experience with my printer, I tore it all down and rebuilt it to eliminate some issues that I was having due to mistakes I made the first time. In this process though I accidentally shredded the dampers, so I removed them. Anyways, I found out that the tinted plastic windows that go in the top and bottom base actually amplify the noise of the steppers. I took some electrical tap and lined the edges of those windows before putting them back in, to act as a gasket of sorts, and now it is much quieter - even quieter than when I had the dampers installed.
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

Nothing will quiet it down like swapping out the rambo for a duet wifi. The stepper drivers are the bulk of the noise.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

Yep, plus you get a better interface and firmware. Autocalibration that works, and software that is constantly updated.

I upgraded my printer to duet and now the only noise I hear is from my fans....

I don't have any dampeners installed either
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Agree that using the Duet mad a huge difference and resulted in quieter stepper noise. My heat chamber also help a slight bit with noise.
My 3D-Printing learning curve is asymptotic to a Delta's X, Y and Z-axes
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I'm going to agree with the comments about the Duet, especially the Wifi, since the drivers it uses are intentionally designed to be low noise. Even the .8.5 makes a difference, as it can switch faster which seems to change the pitch of the noise and reduce it. Also on my list of things for noise reduction would be ported covers on the corners, which also improves airflow and keeps things cooler. Another is that the power supply fan on Meanwells seem to be hit and miss for noise. Mine is pretty quiet, but others are getting driven mad by them, so consider working on that. The Berd-Air is quieter than a layer fan set, especially in an enclosure I've found. Watercooling the hotend will reduce the noise, as will increasing the size of the cooling fan for the Rambo (Even more if you pick something like a 60MM SilenX fan or similar (I also recommend Noctua, but have actually used the slimline 60MM SilenX fan but not Noctua's equivalent)).
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

i don't think the berdAir is quieter... i found it magnitudes louder, but, i have it mounted on the side of my enclosure which is probably the worst possible configuration from an acoustic stand point as the side panel of polycarbonate acts like a drum... but it's still worth it from a difference in quality standpoint :)
djarmag
Printmaster!

Post by djarmag »

WOW, I am simply amazed by the responses, I DEFINITELY opened a big can of worms! Being a new user, I already am fascinated how this V3 prints and after reading mhackneys blog about converting to duet wifi, it is something I would like to do in the future when I feel more confident in taking that step. Most of the noise I am noticing is from the extruder/fans and that overwhelms the power supply and top section completely. Watercooling hot end, swapping mainboards, now I feel like I'm building my gaming computer all over again :lol:
DodgeDerek
Plasticator

Post by DodgeDerek »

I have a V2 where I went the Dynamat route and that did help with some of the louder, resonance buzzing. However that noise reduction is a drop in the bucket compared to what I am seeing with the Duet.

Disclaimer: I have not completed the Duet upgrade yet, but even with just basic motion going and the printer still lacking most side panels, it is remarkably quieter. The RAMBo boards just seem to be determined to sing you the song of their people.
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

on my Max v2, I installed AstroSyn dampers on the three tower motors... a very good thing to quiet them down.
I also put sound deadening material wherever I could in the base and top sections.

However, on the v2, the LOUDEST most obnoxious sound was coming from the extruder motor in the stock mounting. It resonated throughout the entire machine and I could hear it almost everywhere in the house.

When I build my enclosure, I moved the extruder outside of the machine, mounting it on a bit of t-track, and isolating the track from the top platform with some thick foam padding... now it's VERY quiet. It was so quiet, that it made the cooling fan (next to the on/off switch) seem noisy... so I replaced that fan with a quieter box fan. So, especially when I shut the enclosure doors (which suppresses the layer fan whine) I might have one of the quietest Max v2's around that still uses a Rambo board.

Some of these mods (stepper motor mount and the enclosure) can be seen in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o68o4S2eLsI
timskloss
Printmaster!

Post by timskloss »

djarmag wrote:I was wondering if anyone has tried to lower the amount of noise this machine produces. I was thinking of dynamat lining the top section, or would it be unnecessary? Just a thought
I installed these when my V3 was going together for the first time. https://www.matterhackers.com/store/pri ... ers-3-pack

The tower motors are nearly silent. The extruder and HE280 fan make the most noise now.
We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers...
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

Those are the same dampers I used.
joe
Printmaster!

Post by joe »

timskloss wrote:
djarmag wrote:I was wondering if anyone has tried to lower the amount of noise this machine produces. I was thinking of dynamat lining the top section, or would it be unnecessary? Just a thought
I installed these when my V3 was going together for the first time. https://www.matterhackers.com/store/pri ... ers-3-pack

The tower motors are nearly silent. The extruder and HE280 fan make the most noise now.
I use these $2.20 each -- http://www.robotdigg.com/product/341/An ... 17-stepper
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Xenocrates wrote:I'm going to agree with the comments about the Duet, especially the Wifi, since the drivers it uses are intentionally designed to be low noise. Even the .8.5 makes a difference, as it can switch faster which seems to change the pitch of the noise and reduce it.
I can't comment on the .8.5 but I know that the machine makes a completely different and much less noisy sound with a duet 0.6, that can still be bought for just under 70 GB pounds. It is sooo quiet that I have no audible feedback from my coach in the living anymore, so I am very happy with the excelent webinterface I can look at on my phone ;-)
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
jevs
Prints-a-lot

Post by jevs »

http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... 95#p107495

I am about to undo a noise mod. I think this introduces mechanical deficiencies.
stough
Prints-a-lot

Re: Silencing The noise (Duet Upgrade)

Post by stough »

For those of you who upgraded to the Duet: Does it work with the accelerometer probe on the HE280? I have designed and built effectors for the E3D and PrometheusV2 hot ends that use HE280 boards, so I'm pretty wedded to getting the HE280 probe to work if I upgrade the RAMBO.

Thanks in advance for any Duet wisdom,
Tim
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

You need an adaptor between them. See this thread http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... 80#p100039.
Kethku
Plasticator

Post by Kethku »

For what its worth, I found fsr bed leveling to be miles better than the accelerometer probe with the duet wifi. I built the adapter linked above, and hooked everything up but then swapped to fsr because the grid based compensation wasn't good enough.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

The probe in the HE280 isn't compatible with the DuetWifi. You can either get the Duet3D SmartEffector or the SeeMeCNC SE300 if you want good auto-cal with the DuetWifi.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

The probe in the HE280 isn't compatible with the DuetWifi. You can either get the Duet3D SmartEffector or the SeeMeCNC SE300 if you want good auto-cal with the DuetWifi.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
TheDon
Prints-a-lot

Post by TheDon »

loudest part of my V3.2 conversion is the cooling fan in the base. I really need to replace it with a noctua

Return to “RostockMAX v3”