Raspberry Pi power

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
smgvbest
Plasticator

Raspberry Pi power

Post by smgvbest »

Hello

I've been experiencing random reboots of the Raspberry PI in my MAX V3. I think I've traced it down to power supply.
Looking at how power is supplied the Raspi I took a look at the schematic of the Rambo looking for the power section
Power.JPG
What you have is a LM22675 supplying 5V for the Rambo Board and Raspberry PI. The LM22675 is a capable of delivering upto 1amp of power.
the issue is the recommended power for a raspi is 2amps. with some of the 1amp going to power the Rambo that leaves less that 1 amp for the raspberry pi.

I'm going to try one of these I have on hand
http://www.mpja.com/LM2596-Step-Down-Ad ... /30148+PS/
set for 5.25V (seems to be a Raspi favorite and wire directly to the 12V support at X30)

Going to see if that will help. I thought about pluging in a regular supply but this is really just as simple.
Current printers
Rostock Max V3
Flashforge Creator Pro
Prusa i3 mk3 w/mmu (TBP)
smgvbest
Plasticator

Re: Raspberry Pi power

Post by smgvbest »

I moved my Raspberry PI to a dedicated power source and have not had a random/lost connection since.
Has anyone else encounters this? lack of comments kind of tells me no on has.

I'm looking at 2-3 alteratives for power
1 use a DC-DC convertor 12v to 5v @ 2.5 amp (taking this approach for now)
2. change out the LM22675 on the rambo for a LM22676 which can handle the increase current used by the Pi

option 2 involves soldering the LM22675 from the board and replacing it. except for the large ground pad under the device this actually should not be hard. I'll do this but only after I can get a spare RAMBO.
Current printers
Rostock Max V3
Flashforge Creator Pro
Prusa i3 mk3 w/mmu (TBP)
djarmag
Printmaster!

Post by djarmag »

Im on stock v3 and haven't experience any intermittent power loss or restarts
smgvbest
Plasticator

Post by smgvbest »

are you running time-lapse or any other functions on OctoPrint?
other that running additional plugings for Octoprint my V3 is pretty stock except for some printed side panels for bringing out the raspi's Ethernet, USB and Video Connectors.
Current printers
Rostock Max V3
Flashforge Creator Pro
Prusa i3 mk3 w/mmu (TBP)
djarmag
Printmaster!

Post by djarmag »

Yes, I have had hours of printing in Octoprint and time lapse recording, couple plugins installed for eeprom. I remember during the build that when I tugged on the screw type terminals, they came out when I thought I had them tight so possibly check all your wires are secured and pin retention is good.
Noircogi
Printmaster!

Post by Noircogi »

It probably depends which camera you're using. They may have widely different power consumption.

Return to “RostockMAX v3”