New duel extrusion

The new for 2016 RostockMAX v3!
Twac1
Printmaster!

New duel extrusion

Post by Twac1 »

Kit comes in today for the duel extruder. Anyone working with this?
pouncingiguana
Printmaster!

Re: New duel extrusion

Post by pouncingiguana »

Every day.
jstone3769
Plasticator

Post by jstone3769 »

I'm working on mine too...Wasn't too difficult to install but I still have color mixing problems.
Twac1
Printmaster!

Post by Twac1 »

I don't want to install mine if I can't run just a single extrusion. Can I still run it with a single extrusion after I update the firmware?
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

Twac1 wrote:I don't want to install mine if I can't run just a single extrusion. Can I still run it with a single extrusion after I update the firmware?
No problem at all running with one extruder...
You can use either one, or both.
pouncingiguana
Printmaster!

Post by pouncingiguana »

The color mixing problems vary depending on the filaments used, but I've discovered that there's not such thing as a purge tower that's too big when using a light colored filament.
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

I agree with the comment about light color filaments. I just posted a video of a 2 color frog, printed in red and blue with a 20mm priming pillar... it worked out beautifully.
The same frog printed in white and purple did show some tinting of some of the white areas. It was worse with a bright white 3DBenchy boat with purple trim.
So choose your colors wisely <s>

In case you want to see the red/blue frog, take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_a9GofByKY
Twac1
Printmaster!

Post by Twac1 »

Alan z looks like you got it running great! Could you post your settings? Using PLA?
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Duel extruders?

*pictures two EZRStruders with pistols at dawn*

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
gchristopher
Printmaster!

Post by gchristopher »

geneb wrote:Duel extruders?

*pictures two EZRStruders with pistols at dawn*
We get things like that around here sometimes...

[img]http://gchristopher.net/3dprinting/nozzle_duel.jpg[/img]
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

AlanZ wrote:In case you want to see the red/blue frog, take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_a9GofByKY
Great video Alan, I definitely want to try this some time! but for now I need to get the heatchamber done ;-)
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
Twac1
Printmaster!

Post by Twac1 »

ok so did my first test in matter control. First and main issue is that on my purge tower the first layer does what it should then the second jumps up 4mm and prints in the air followed by the hotend diving down back to the where the second layer is and then back up 4mm switching between filaments on the purge tower and going back to the original color?!
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

That almost sounds like the slicer doesn't know where the other hot end is located...

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
corranthrn
Plasticator

Post by corranthrn »

I was using the current dev dual extrusion firmware, and it created a loop where, when the tool change occurred, another tool change was initiated, and the printer just said there grinding filament and sounding angry. Have to remove the T0 and T1's from the Select Commands in the firmware.

Would love some other feedback to how people are using this. Are you using Simplify3D to do the tool changes, or are you using the firmware commands?
pouncingiguana
Printmaster!

Post by pouncingiguana »

When you say "Current", what's the date on your dev firmware?

Something to try: Run your print off the SD card and remove the USB cable and see if it does the same thing
corranthrn
Plasticator

Post by corranthrn »

03162017. It created a loop. I removed the T1 and T0 from the select commands (because it creates a loop, freezing my printer, and shoving endless filament through the printer if you don't reset).

The select extruder commands are triggered when the firmware received a T# command, then in the command, it calls another. I tried it on both USB and SD card.
pouncingiguana
Printmaster!

Post by pouncingiguana »

Try the latest Master branch of the firmware (posted last night) and see if that helps anything.

It also sounds like maybe your extruders are not being reset at the beginning of each print. Try adding this to your start GCODE:

Code: Select all

G92 E0
G92 E1
Morriz
Plasticator

Post by Morriz »

Hello,

just installed new dual extrusion add-on on my Rostock Max v.3.

I'v installed "dev" branche of Firmware in RAMBo (20170316).

Then? What slicer do you use? Cura 15 (Cura 2.4 e 2.5 haven't intercace support for dual), MatterControl 1.7 or others?

I try Cura 15 but when printed it starts 5 cm above the bed and set bed temp to 200°.

Some print screen of your conf slicer or conf file, please.

Thanks
Marcello
corranthrn
Plasticator

Post by corranthrn »

Hi Marcello,

I'm using Simplify3D or Repetier/Cura. I don't have any problems with slicing. I did have problems with regular jams though. Normally, should start out with the 1st extruder selected and fed in. When the firmware receives a T1 or T0, it should automatically retract and feed the correct amounts. Mine worked for a little, but was regularly jamming.

I'm probably going to remove the entire dual extruder setup as it is just too inconsistent. I know some people made custom G-Code to handle the retract and feeds better, but my printer/slicer didn't handle the tool changes very well either.

Wishing you luck with yours,
CorranThrn
Morriz
Plasticator

Post by Morriz »

Thank you for your reply CorranThrn,

Marcello
ivanhandler
Printmaster!

Post by ivanhandler »

Twac1 wrote:ok so did my first test in matter control. First and main issue is that on my purge tower the first layer does what it should then the second jumps up 4mm and prints in the air followed by the hotend diving down back to the where the second layer is and then back up 4mm switching between filaments on the purge tower and going back to the original color?!
My guess is that you have the the Support Pillar Resolution set at 4.00 mm. I would set it down to your layer height. This is another area I am trying to understand: I think it may be necessary to set the Pillar Resolution to half the height of your model's layer height since you are using two materials per layer. Good luck.
ivanhandler
Printmaster!

Post by ivanhandler »

So, I am using Simplify3D and it is working just fine. My problem is that I am using PVA and I can't seem to get it to adhere. I am using a PrintBite surface heated to 70C (PrintBite recommends 10C higher than normal). The regular model filament has no problem, but I can't seem to get the PVA to adhere. I am playing with the temperature to no avail. Anybody used PVA in a dual extrusion setting with a pillar? Any advice or experiences to share?
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

Haven't done it in a while but I had PVA sticking to Kapton over glass.

Return to “RostockMAX v3”