Cura 4.8 setup woes now...

The one, the only, the Atremis. Forum for the monster metal machine from SeeMeCNC
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

Cura 4.8 setup woes now...

Post by DDXdesign »

Now that I have the Artemis online and awaiting instructions:

1. The Artemis profile that is in Cura already only has 1 extruder and I can't seem to change it. SeeMe says to instead go into Add a printer and hit Next instead of choosing a printer model. But, 4.8 only has an Add button and forces you to choose a model, rather than having a Next button. I've added it as a Custom FFF Printer instead, so hope there isn't anything hidden or tricky I need to do further.

2. The 3MF file provided by SeeMeCNC is supposed to set up the printer profile as well as a sample dual-extrusion model on the bed, but you're supposed to "Open as Project" and 4.8 apparently doesn't have that option either. I have it set in general prefs to always ask when opening project files, but when I try to open this 3MF file, Cura does *nothing* at all.

3. edit: found the filament load macros, my mistake

Gotta get this working asap, so, yay.
Last edited by DDXdesign on Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Cura 4.8 setup woes now...

Post by geneb »

Just double-click on the .3mf file and Cura should open it.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

Post by DDXdesign »

geneb wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:38 pm Just double-click on the .3mf file and Cura should open it.

g.
That just opened another instance of Cura with nothing in it.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Yes, but it should have loaded the profile.

g.
Delta Power!
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

Post by DDXdesign »

No additional profiles, it just opened with the Custom FFF Printer profile I had already set up.

I was under the impression, from SeeMe's description on their site, that the one 3MF file contained the machine profile, the dual-color batwing model, and the slicing profiles for each extruder.

Just, please tell me I didn't waste $1600 on a machine I can't friggin set up.

EDIT: I tried loading 4 STL objects and pointing two of them at the first extruder and two at the second. Sliced fine. Went to print and nothing happened. Hotend was "stuck"(?) at 150 even though the profile called for 200. Come on, this is crazy. I will pay someone to help me get this working, else I'm just gonna have to send it back.
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

Post by DDXdesign »

AHA, I found the blinky batarang 3MF file, and that one DID open "properly" in Cura.

Starting it up after all that, there is still a problem but it seems a lesser one - when the machine went to create the brim/raft thing for the prime tower, the extruder did a whole bunch of extra pushing, grinding/skipping for a full couple seconds before calming down and laying it out. I'm now looking for a setting that makes that happen, I suppose?

One step closer every time I guess. I would still love to zoom with someone who can actually suss everything out with me.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I would suggest you contact support.

g.
Delta Power!
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

Post by DDXdesign »

For some reason I am not getting more than 1 or 2 sentences at a time from support, feel like I'm some kind of bother after spending so much frigging cash with them. I came here AFTER trying support.

Current issues:
1. Filament/extruder grinding a lot on first move to prime tower and very occasionally later, sounds as if it's trying to extrude at initial loading speed through a cold nozzle or something. EDIT: Actually I kept an eye on it for the next couple tests, and it does this before even starting the skirt, not on the first move to the prime tower.
2. Filament unload macros will not work (new today!) - Duet says 'tool not driven because the hotend is too cold' (paraphrasing) even though the "wait for hotend to get to temp" command is commented out of both macros, since the filament on the 2-into-1 lies dormant a few inches backed off the nozzle and doesn't need to wait.
3. Print quality I would assume to be just as good as my Rmax, but it isn't there yet; I'm oddly having to dial it in more instead of just repeating my rmax settings. That's interesting and I'm unsure why that would be.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I would check the start gcode to make sure that it's not trying to prime too much.

I just looked at the git repo for the Artemis and I found that both Unload scripts had the M109 command commented out. I've emailed them about this - un-comment the lines in your local files.

g.
Delta Power!
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

Post by PartDaddy »

Cura 4.8 won't work. It won't likely be fixed until the next release. We don't make software, we only advise customers to use what is proven to work, tested, and solid.

Take another look at your email from SeeMeCNC technical support Saturday at 4:20pm.

no YAT, no USB connecting. We do not run our printers through Cura. Cura only is used to generate Gcode and upload to the printer or run over an SD card inserted in the touchscreen.

We stopped recommending any USB connection in 2016/2017. Only this information:
https://www.seemecnc.com/pages/seemecnc ... tart-guide

Cura 4.6.2 is solid. In our guide (link below), STEP 5 has show you how to open the 3MF project file. This sets Cura 4.6.2 completely up in one step. The 3MF file would be downloaded in STEP 2 of our guide.

From the above Quick Start page of our website, you will end up at this Cura 4.6.2 setup guide. We are not supporting any other version (because they have defects and Cura 4.6.2 works perfect)
https://seemecnc.dozuki.com/Guide/Clean ... 41?lang=en

In Cura 4.6.2
  • go to Preferences.
  • On the "General" screen scroll to the bottom.
  • (see picture below) select "Always ask me this"
  • then close the window and try "File > Open Files.." in the menu bar again
  • Choose "Open As Project"
Cura-preference-settings-open-3MF-project-files
Cura-preference-settings-open-3MF-project-files
Cura_ask_opening_3MF_project_files.jpg (385.39 KiB) Viewed 8049 times
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Blackpoint Engineering is SeeMeCNC
Since 1996
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

Post by DDXdesign »

PartDaddy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:43 am Cura 4.8 won't work. It won't likely be fixed until the next release. We don't make software, we only advise customers to use what is proven to work, tested, and solid.
I just always keep my software up to date, is why I'm on 4.8 now - what differs in the newer versions that makes them unsuitable?
Take another look at your email from SeeMeCNC technical support Saturday at 4:20pm.

no YAT, no USB connecting. We do not run our printers through Cura. Cura only is used to generate Gcode and upload to the printer or run over an SD card inserted in the touchscreen.

We stopped recommending any USB connection in 2016/2017.
This is strange, not only because YAT was literally the ONLY way I could get the M587 command into the machine to get it on wifi, but also because the YAT method is exactly what was recommended/needed to set up my RMax on network as well, in 2019. So I'm not sure what to think or do here. Oh and I'm not trying to "run the printer through Cura" I just use it to make gcode of my models, as you said. I did include that detail when I responded to that support email, too.
Cura 4.6.2 is solid. In our guide (link below), STEP 5 has show you how to open the 3MF project file. This sets Cura 4.6.2 completely up in one step. The 3MF file would be downloaded in STEP 2 of our guide.
I did finally find the blinky batarang 3MF file, which I *was* able to open and get the profile into Cura with. If Cura will let me downgrade or double load 4.6.2 alongside then I can definitely try it, but I'll have to see.

I just don't understand the bizarrely different setups between using the Rmax vs the Artemis, as beyond the second extruder everything should function exactly the same.
Last edited by DDXdesign on Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

Post by DDXdesign »

geneb wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:47 am I would check the start gcode to make sure that it's not trying to prime too much.

I just looked at the git repo for the Artemis and I found that both Unload scripts had the M109 command commented out. I've emailed them about this - un-comment the lines in your local files.

g.
One success: I basically took the priming part of the gcode out of the printer's start gcode because each extruder has its own priming set in its own respective start code.

I don't understand uncommenting the M109 though; With the Y-end setup, the filament never rests in the nozzle; it's always dormant at the 160mm away or whatever, so the extruder doesn't have to wait at all to pull it. Right? Wrong? Am I missing something?
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

DDXdesign wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:31 pm
geneb wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:47 am I would check the start gcode to make sure that it's not trying to prime too much.

g.
One success: I basically took the priming part of the gcode out of the printer's start gcode because each extruder has its own priming set in its own respective start code.

I don't understand uncommenting the M109 though; With the Y-end setup, the filament never rests in the nozzle; it's always dormant at the 160mm away or whatever, so the extruder doesn't have to wait at all to pull it. Right? Wrong? Am I missing something?
The firmware won't permit the extruder to move if the hot end isn't at temperature.

YAT was originally recommended because most of the early Duet-equipped machines didn't come with a screen and was made available as an option later on. When manufacturing changed to including a display with all models, the YAT instructions were dropped as being unnecessary and an additional support load.

BTW, I tested out the console input box on my v3.2 machine's screen, and while it doesn't side-scroll, it does permit blind character entry, which can be problematic without using a stylus to ensure you're hitting the letter you're after.

I've been told that updated scripts have been posted to the git repo, so you might want to check those out.

g.
Delta Power!
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

Post by DDXdesign »

I think I forgot to reply to this, Gene -

Yeah, with my Duet it wouldn't accept blind character entry, though oddly if I just hit 1s all the way across, it went about 6-8 more characters than when I was trying to enter the ssid/pwd combo. YAT is what ended up working this time around, used just for that one command set. When I move into my new place in a couple months I will be sure to set a shorter SSID and password though.

And apologies to @PartDaddy - I just thought the support emails were unusually terse and sounded like form letters, which was odd to me considering how nice you guys were about the initial issues with my Max board a couple years ago.

Return to “Artemis”