The Artemis arrives in NJ

The one, the only, the Atremis. Forum for the monster metal machine from SeeMeCNC
AlanZ
Printmaster!

The Artemis arrives in NJ

Post by AlanZ »

This is quite the beast of a box.

They should consider better sealing of the box... the tape, as you can see, gave way. So some packing bands around the box would help secure the contents and also give something to grab.

I will assemble tonight and post photos of the assembly ASAP.
25659550_10213507117128256_1995761244749533365_n.jpg
pouncingiguana
Printmaster!

Re: The Artemis arrives in NJ

Post by pouncingiguana »

Wow, That's no good. We'll make sure the next round are better secured. Should still be fine with all the packing we've got in there, but give us a shout if it's not.
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

It appears that all the parts arrived safe and sound.
IMG_5420.JPG
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

Looking over today's build of the assembly instructions, I noticed

My Artemis did not come packed with the little plastic rivet screw covers (no big deal)
The instructions say to lubricate the aluminum ball joints, but I don't see any lubricant packed, nor an indication of what type of lubricant to use.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

Ah, I see... my bottom plate is held on with screws.
It looks like subsequent builds use the plastic rivets instead.
I will be quite gentle when using the screws... yes, yes, hand tool only!
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

Words I never thought I'd ever post on a public forum:

"I found the lubricant!"

It is packed in with the back of aluminum ball joints, but the lubricant is white in a clear packet, and quite invisible when the bag of ball joints is on top of the white packing list.
wepollock
Printmaster!

Post by wepollock »

White lithium grease?
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

--The build is complete, but it won't extrude. I can manually extrude by turning the knob when the hot end is up to temp, but the extruder motor won't turn... it just "flutters". We checked for continuity across the extruder coils, so that seems fine. Any thoughts are appreciated.
--Also in step 11 it says to insert the red wire into pin 2, but all the photos show pin 1, so I used pin 1. When it refused to extrude, I tried moving the pin, but that was no help, so I put it back on pin 1. What pin did other folks use?
--And...two wires in the whip (heater power) were too short to reach the connector blocks, so I added about 4" of wire to reach the Wago connectors in step 34.
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

Very nice printer, well done SeeMeCNC and congratulations to AlanZ. I'm a bit jealous :P
Regarding your motor problem, what does it happen if you take the motor off of the extruder? it still "flutters"?
Martín S.
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

AlanZ wrote:--The build is complete, but it won't extrude. I can manually extrude by turning the knob when the hot end is up to temp, but the extruder motor won't turn... it just "flutters". We checked for continuity across the extruder coils, so that seems fine. Any thoughts are appreciated.
--Also in step 11 it says to insert the red wire into pin 2, but all the photos show pin 1, so I used pin 1. When it refused to extrude, I tried moving the pin, but that was no help, so I put it back on pin 1. What pin did other folks use?
--And...two wires in the whip (heater power) were too short to reach the connector blocks, so I added about 4" of wire to reach the Wago connectors in step 34.
Possible causes of the motor fluttering include:

1. A bad crimp connection in the cable, so that only one of the motor phases is being energised. Did you measure the resistance starting at the connector that plugs into the Duet?

2. Faulty E0 driver. Try connecting it to the E1 motor output instead, and in the M563 P0 command in config.g change D0 to D1.

Can you provide a link to the build instructions so that I can see what the "red wire" is?
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

Thanks for the reply, I will try another driver

The assembly instructions are here: https://seemecnc.dozuki.com/Guide/Assem ... 81?lang=en
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

The red wire in question appears to be used in step 29 for the FSR probe
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

The manual has been corrected, the instructions now call for the red wire to go on pin 1, so now the text and photos are in sync. The red wire picks up 5v from the expansion connector.
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

Here is what I tried:

I disconnected the x-axis stepper and placed the extruder stepper connector onto the x axis terminal
I then homed the printer.
The stepper motor spun properly, and obviously would continue to spin because there is no endstop being engaged.

So, at least we know that the motor can spin.

Next, I put the x-stepper back to its normal connection and moved the extruder connector to E1.
Then I changed the line in config,g so that M563 is set for D1 instead of D0 and saved the config and rebooted.

I heated the nozzle and tried to extrude... and got exactly the same symptoms as when it was attached to E0.
So I have returned to the original wiring and configuration.

Any thoughts about next steps?
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

Here is what I tried next.
I swapped the connections for the X and E0 steppers.
Then in Duet, I homed the printer, and the extruder motor started turning in a retraction direction.
I manually clicked the X axis end stop to stop the extruder, and let the other arms home naturally.
After all the arms hit their end stops, they drop down a few mm.
During this drop down event, the extruder motor fluttered.
As for the X stepper, I brought the hot end to 180C and called for extrusion, then retraction, and yes, the X tower carriage moved up and down... so that's a good thing.
So why the extruder stepper is fluttering/buzzing still remains to be seen.
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

At the connector, I measured resistance... across pins 1 and 2 1.5 ohms. The same across pins 3 and 4.
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

A few shots of my board, perhaps someone can spot a problem with the wiring and suggest a fix or something to try.
Attachments
IMG_5435.JPG
IMG_5434.JPG
IMG_5433.JPG
IMG_5432.JPG
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

Blocked hot end perhaps? Or incorrect temperature calibration, so that the hot end is not as hot as you think it is?

Does the Artemis use a Bowden tube; if so, can you remove it and check that you can drive filament through the extruder drive by itself?
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

DC42,

The hot end is fine... I can turn the extruder knob (when the stepper is disabled) and feed filament through the hot end without incident.

However, all of my testing of the extruder problem has been with no filament in the extruder.

My most recent test:

I just removed the X axis wire connector and plugged the extruder connected into the x axis pins.

calling for extrusion moved the X carriage down smoothly, and retracing moved the x carriage up.

All of my tests have been without any filament in the extruder... there are no physical issues with the gear... everything moves easily when the extruder is not under power.
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

From what you are saying, the X motor works when plugged into the extruder connector, but the extruder motor still doesn't work when plugged into the X motor connector. That points to a problem with the extruder motor, or its wiring, or its mechanical connection with the rest of the extruder.
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

Well, it looks like it is a bad stepper motor. Let's see if a replacement fixes the issue.
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

IT’S ALIVE! ... and printing it’s first Benchy...

... but not without some fussing. Permit me to continue the story of the fluttering extruder...

Due to some testing, the team at SeeMeCNC decided that the extruder stepper was bad... a first! Because of the holiday weekend, last night I opted to order a stepper from Amazon, for next day delivery. It was delivered to my home at 9 am. Sweet...

So before taking my existing stepper/EZRStruder apart, I put a plug onto the end of the new stepper’s wires, connected it to the Duet, brought up the hot end temp, and low and behold, the motor turned as expected... no fluttering...

I then cut the wires from the original stepper, and soldered the new stepper wires onto the 4 wires in the tower... neat installation, I even color coded the heat shrink tubing. (I had lots of wire and supplies left over from converting my Rostock Max v2 to dual the extrusion earlier this year)...

Then it was time to test the new stepper again before dismantling the original stepper....

And, and, and... it fluttered!

So the issue was clearly the wiring that ran through the X tower extending the stepper wires. So I went into my wire stash, got out some colored 18g solid wire, and replaced the original wire extensions with my own. Reattached any of the whip connectors that pulled off of the board, and Viola!

As I type this, the Artemis is happily printing its first 3D Benchy test print. It’s a PLEASURE to watch this machine in action... so smooth and quiet.

One thing we noticed yesterday was the extruder extension wires are a thinner gauge than all of the other extruder wires...I wonder if this caused the issue, and if everyone else has thin wires going into the KK connector at E0.
pouncingiguana
Printmaster!

Post by pouncingiguana »

Wow. Off the top of my head I can't imagine what in the wiring would make it run fine at high speed but screw up at low speed. Bad solder joint with a higher than normal resistance? Either way, I'm glad you're up and running! Sorry that you had a rocky road to get there. We'll be in touch when we're back in the office.
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

I never had a moment of doubt that we'd get this up and running (and find out what was going on).
The debugging was a bit tedious, but the printer is outstanding, so worth the additional effort.
AlanZ
Printmaster!

Post by AlanZ »

Considering that I replaced the stock solder joints on the extension cabling with new solder joints, I don't think that's it.
I didn't see anything particularly problematic with the extensions, other than they are pretty thin.

Return to “Artemis”