adarcher's build/troubleshooting

The one, the only, the Atremis. Forum for the monster metal machine from SeeMeCNC
dc42
Printmaster!

Re: adarcher's build/troubleshooting

Post by dc42 »

If you rename the DuetWiFiFirmware.bin file that you want to install to Duet2CombinedFirnware.bin and upload it through DWC on the Settings General page, it should install.
wepollock
Printmaster!

Post by wepollock »

You are not getting good calibrations;
and you are not getting good first layers YET;

All possible contributors;

the position of the FSR pads were changed
the bed clips were changed
the printing surface was changed.
and its unknown whether or not you are you still heating your bed before calibrating? Known FSR issue also mentioned here

If you had a QC issue (with a tap et al) seemecnc would have taken care of it. Were it me, I would just use such a concern as an excuse to buy a tap set.

It's not that I am not reading your posts, grock-ign them what have you, but it seems to me that your printer has a bad case of Munchausen by Proxy. The solution for that... well err...

*I also recollect (could be quite mistaken) a mention that you used the capricorn tube within the seemecnc hotend, there was a warning about that too. Another known issue with early Titans are bearings and front cover.
Why would you want to have a franken-effector - I am assuming you are using a part designed by E3d for the duet effector board?
adarcher
Printmaster!

Post by adarcher »

dc42 wrote:If you rename the DuetWiFiFirmware.bin file that you want to install to Duet2CombinedFirnware.bin and upload it through DWC on the Settings General page, it should install.
Thanks, I got it to install--great work on the firmware update rate btw.

Before I did that though, I debugged the high pitch sound a bit.

I'm guessing I need to look at the current values of the motors though if I want to use the SeeMeCnC config.g with 1.21. The G0 Z5 F30000 recommended start gcode goes over the limit of the motors and causes the high pitch sound I mentioned. I realized this once I put the titan back on and tried to extrude at 60mm/sec. I lowered the feedrate and I'm doing well now. Got the best first layer so far with the 4 point multi-tap setting. Usually only needs two taps for the whole sequence, but some times it needs the 3rd or 4th. That's really the only thing missing from the SeeMeCNC version I think.

@Wepollock, those items were addressed in my post.

Except the bed surface. While the PEI sheet might have some effect, it's already been removed from the equation from other tests like the other parts.

Yes I know heating is not recommended. BUT, most everyone states that they do and even test gcode come with G32 on a heated bed. I've already solved that to a point with only heating to a max of 40 so I don't have to wait for the final value after my G32. I've solved/bandaided the FSR problem.

I don't need to go too much into nit picking things like tap sets here. It was an example to prove a point. It doesn't stop the printer from working and has already been reported. Someday, when I care enough, I'll remove the electronics in the top and tap the hole(s). Until then, I don't want to bother risking, no matter how careful I am, getting metal shavings where they shouldn't.

I'll ignore the insult at the end. I mention my issues here in the hope that they can either get help or help others. Just because you think the issue is easy doesn't mean it's the same for everyone. It's like a lemon car, sometimes there is a sample that performs outside the desired spec. I don't think mine is a lemon, but it sure does have enough little issues that make trouble shooting it less than a walk in the park.

I appreciate your responses and help, but sometimes you come off a bit patronizing.
wepollock
Printmaster!

Post by wepollock »

as i mentioned - i found that 12v can not run a geared extruder at high speed: that is in part why i am going to 24v.
dc provided a link to the math..

there is no reason to heat the bed to calibrate ..
wepollock
Printmaster!

Post by wepollock »

First layer problem could also be z-offset.

You can also baby step the effector up/down a bit interactively using the duet interface.

The printer could be set too fast as well.

(and for me I find the software/programming/gcode aspects very challenging - not easy, with the mechanical stuff being the most fun)
adarcher
Printmaster!

Post by adarcher »

wepollock wrote:as i mentioned - i found that 12v can not run a geared extruder at high speed: that is in part why i am going to 24v.
dc provided a link to the math..

there is no reason to heat the bed to calibrate ..
Yup, but something else is different in the 1.21 firmware because without changing from stock anything, the XYZ motors create that highpitch noise and don't move--that's what I was talking about, the extruder is what reminded me of what could be the issue.

The culprit was the "G0 Z5 F30000;" line recommended in the Cura profile setup. Once I changed that to "G0 Z5 F15000;" my prints went on to do what they will.

I'll watch for your 24V upgrade writeup. I usually like to upgrade everything to the same hardware specs and my mk3 is 24V already. It'd mean all my 12V heaters would be mothballed. Also, I've never found the small 24V blowers to replace the blowers from SeeMeCNC.
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

adarcher wrote: Yup, but something else is different in the 1.21 firmware because without changing from stock anything, the XYZ motors create that highpitch noise and don't move--that's what I was talking about, the extruder is what reminded me of what could be the issue.

The culprit was the "G0 Z5 F30000;" line recommended in the Cura profile setup. Once I changed that to "G0 Z5 F15000;" my prints went on to do what they will.
What maximum speeds have you set in the M203 command in config.g?
adarcher
Printmaster!

Post by adarcher »

dc42 wrote:
adarcher wrote: Yup, but something else is different in the 1.21 firmware because without changing from stock anything, the XYZ motors create that highpitch noise and don't move--that's what I was talking about, the extruder is what reminded me of what could be the issue.

What maximum speeds have you set in the M203 command in config.g?
Looks like the default seemecnc values of 30000 for XYZE
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

The default max speed isn't set for E as far as I know. The only *explicit* default movement rate is set for the Z axis, and that's done in the pre & post gcode because of something dumb that Cura does.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
adarcher
Printmaster!

Post by adarcher »

geneb wrote:The default max speed isn't set for E as far as I know. The only *explicit* default movement rate is set for the Z axis, and that's done in the pre & post gcode because of something dumb that Cura does.

g.
Since I changed it, I had to go look it up. It's at 30000 in the github repo (both FSR and strain).

SeeMeCNC Github
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

It's actually not the default rate, but the max rate. Again, to get around something dumb that Cura does.

g.
Delta Power!
adarcher
Printmaster!

Post by adarcher »

geneb wrote:It's actually not the default rate, but the max rate. Again, to get around something dumb that Cura does.

g.
Yeah, I'm getting fed up with Cura actually. I want something that won't hop around inside the print doing little dots of plastic to fill holes that shouldn't have been there at the start.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Cura's just doing what its told. Try changing the infill density.

g.
Delta Power!

Return to “Artemis”