New Artemis, Homing and calibration issues

The one, the only, the Atremis. Forum for the monster metal machine from SeeMeCNC
Noircogi
Printmaster!

New Artemis, Homing and calibration issues

Post by Noircogi »

I got my Artemis today and assembled it. I already have a Max3 which I built as well.

There is an issue with the X tower. When I select "home" from the web interface, sometimes it works, and sometimes it moves the X carriage way down then back up. When it does work, the X carriage is about 3/4 of an inch from the top after homing, but Y and Z are very near the limit switch.

If I manually move the carriage or touch the limit switches, I see the LEDs for the limit switches go out for each one, including X.

If I try to run the "First Probe" macro, it will eventually get confused and start reporting errors. The steppers all seem to be running smoothly and the X limit switch appears to be working OK as well.

Any suggestions what the problem might be?
The biggest hint is the X carriage going way down during homing, why would it do that? It's almost like the X direction is reversed, but it doesn't behave consistently that way.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: New Artemis, Homing and calibration issues

Post by geneb »

I would carefully examine the stepper connector for the X axis. Make sure the crimps are good and that the socket is fully seated in the connector shell.

The behavior you describe screams "intermittent connection".

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
wepollock
Printmaster!

Post by wepollock »

To debug the problem (were it me) I would;

1) unhook the arms and the effector before going further; so I could safely test w/o having to worry about crashing the effector into the bed.

2) check to make sure that the stepper motor wires are seated.. <- I see gene got that covered... (we were posting at the same time lol)
Yeah that is the first thing I would check.

3) Compare the wires to make sure they are in the correct color order.
4) switch axis (x) to axis (y) and vise versa - the problem should migrate from the x to y axis.

--I don't think your problem is below (but I would still check it out - because it is easy to do)

In the web interface you can go to
Settings->Machine Properties - you can test the endstops by manually pressing them; you will see the result on the web interface..

You can also go to settings: system editor; and check out homedelta.g

G91 ; use relative positioning
G1 S1 X750 Y750 Z750 F5000 ; move all carriages up, stopping at the endstops
G1 S2 X-5 Y-5 Z-5 F500 ; move all towers down 5mm
G1 S1 X8 Y8 Z8 F500 ; move towers slowly up 8mm, stopping at the endstops
G1 S2 X-5 Y-5 Z-5 F500 ; move carriages down 5mm
G90 ; back to absolute positioning

To confirm you are homing on the Duet web interface - a misconfigured slicer might home improperly as described.
Noircogi
Printmaster!

Post by Noircogi »

Gene was right. Intermittent connection on the X stepper motor. I had to disconnect and reconnect it a couple of times to get it solid. Perhaps there was some oxidation on the pins. Homing and calibration work fine now.

This morning I was able to get that going and verify the bed heater and thermistor are working. Tonight after work I will move on to the rest of the checkout.

Thanks!
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

\o/
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Noircogi
Printmaster!

Post by Noircogi »

Turns out it was still flakey. I ended up cutting the connector off and using a few of the spare pins to re-do it. There must have been a bad crimp in the factory-supplied set. It's now happily printing the pre-sliced benchy with the supplied neon green PLA and all looks good.
adarcher
Printmaster!

Post by adarcher »

Glad you got it all working!

The pins also have a little tab to keep them in. When I had the same problem, I saw that I had to use a knife to bend them back out so they'd "snap" into place again.

Post a pic of your benchy when it's done :)

Return to “Artemis”