ABS recommendations

The one, the only, the Atremis. Forum for the monster metal machine from SeeMeCNC
Burley
Prints-a-lot

ABS recommendations

Post by Burley »

Trying some small parts with ABS. Not interested in ABS juice. Anyone printing straight on the glass?
Burley
Noircogi
Printmaster!

Re: ABS recommendations

Post by Noircogi »

I've not done a lot of ABS on the Artemis, but I've done a ton of it on my Max V3 with enclosure.

I heat the bead to 110C for the first few layers, then drop to 100.

Every once in a while (many prints), I clean the glass well, then apply a wet coat of Aqua-net purple. That's the "all weather, extra hold, unscented" type.

ABS sticks very well with that setup.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I'll second the AquaNet tip - the heated bed performance is a lot better with the Artemis since the heat spreader gives a much more even heat. Just be aware that the vinyl decal on the heat spreader will darken at higher temps. (Unless you've got one of the black anodized beds, then you don't have anything to worry about).

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
JayDee
Plasticator

Post by JayDee »

The best solution by far I've tried for printing ABS on glass is Airwolf's Wolfbite product. It's a liquid solution (viscosity of water) you simply brush on the glass and allow to dry. It leaves your prints clean and smooth without having to deal with the horrible sticky mess of glue, ABS juice, hairspray, or any other goop you put on your glass. It lasts for many prints (haven't counted exactly) before needing to be renewed. The adhesion is fantastic, and when the bed cools down the prints will generally pop right off. A word of caution: the adhesion is so good that if you get impatient and pry a print off before the bed has cooled sufficiently, you'll actually pull up a chunk of the bed glass!
JayDee
Plasticator

Post by JayDee »

I'll add that I recently tried the plastic film from GeckoTek (http://www.geckotek.co) on my Artemis. It works incredibly well with ABS, but to a fault. The adhesion is so strong and uniform that it's really difficult to remove prints with a large bed contact area, even after the machine has cooled down completely. I've destroyed several otherwise good prints trying to get them off. For small prints with not much contact area, it's great.
RegB
Printmaster!

Post by RegB »

I agree the aquanet hairspray WORKS very well, but I have been allowing it to "dry" and then heating the bed to 40 deg C and (because I used to do it on my Max V2) I apply two coats of Elmers disappearing purple.

Not sure that the glue ADDS anything, but I don't dare stop using it.

BTW, the ABS profile from seemecnc sets the bed to 90 C.
110 C seems to work MUCH better, i.e. my prints don't break free halfway through.

Return to “Artemis”