2 Color printing with CURA

The one, the only, the Atremis. Forum for the monster metal machine from SeeMeCNC
KB9AVO
Plasticator

2 Color printing with CURA

Post by KB9AVO »

There is a special sequence of doing a layout of a 2 color print on the Artemis with CURA. PartDaddy showed me and when I got back to my shop I forgot most of it.. Mind is sometime like a holey bucket. I wanted to see if anyone out there alo has the secret and has made a video of it Step by Step.

Printer works fine, but would like to use it at full potential

Paul. :D :D :D
RegB
Printmaster!

Re: 2 Color printing with CURA

Post by RegB »

I would be interested in that too.
Just having some setting for dual extruders, e.g. both in ABS, one in ABS the other in support material.
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Post by lightninjay »

The only way I know of, is to open two separate model files (stl or obj) in Cura, after making sure that in the "Machine Settings" menu, you've changed your settings to reflect 2 extruders. Once that has been done, and both models are loaded onto the virtual platform, right-click on the platform and click "Dual extrusion merge". Whichever model you loaded onto the print plate first will be your extruder 1 color, and the second model loaded will become extruder 2's color.

Hope this helps!

-Jay
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong. Try again, and if it fails again, try once more. Through trial and error, one can be the first to accomplish something great.
RegB
Printmaster!

Post by RegB »

That seems like a whole lot more trouble than it would take to modify a slicing program to at least switch extruders for support material and/or at layer numbers.

Anyone know of slicers that CAN do that ?
slic3r for example, or matter control ?
RegB
Printmaster!

Post by RegB »

This seems interesting;
http://manual.slic3r.org/expert-mode/multiple-extruders

Wondering how much of my old Max V2 settings from 4 years ago would port over to Arty ....Hmm, might be worth a try.
RegB
Printmaster!

Post by RegB »

I'm still trying to slog through this, MOSTLY for 2 material printing so that I can use water soluble support material.
I avoid it for a while, then create an object that needs internal support that would be very hard to remove with pliers.

Right now I have both extruders responding to elementary commands, but can't actually print anything.
CURA seems to be doing the right thing and the printer does go through the motions of using a dump/wipe tower in the right location, etc.

ONE problem seems to be that the initial brim/support material doesn't retract anywhere near enough for the actual model's material to get into the Y junction.
Another is that the switch to model material turns OFF the extruder heater for the support material, but doesn't turn ON the extruder heater for the model material - I know, I know, they are one and the same heater - but whatever code is coming out of CURA (I'm guessing) may be trying to turn on some "other" heater that doesn't exist.

Anyone get this to work yet ?

============================

I'll show some more of my ignorance;
There is a profile for dual PLA, but not one for dual ABS.
It seems to me that a different profile is needed for model PLA with water soluble support - and of course another profile for model ABS with soluble support - - on and on.
Is there a relatively simple way to edit a template profile for whatever mix and match a user wants ?

Return to “Artemis”