Artemis + Y-Adapter + Simplify3D

The one, the only, the Atremis. Forum for the monster metal machine from SeeMeCNC
artexmg
Printmaster!

Artemis + Y-Adapter + Simplify3D

Post by artexmg »

OK, I just upgraded my printer (Artemis) with the Y-Adapter.

Already did the changes to config.g file:

MS63 P1 D1 H1 F1
G10 P1 S0 R0

I'm using Simplify 3D, so I created a Dual Extruder Setup (fff file).

I can print with both extruders NOT AT THE SAME TIME. Individually both are working fine.

My problem is when I try to combine them.

I just cannot get the Script for "Tool Change" right.

I already searched all forums I could, including a setup for the E3D Cyclop (which is basically a Y-Adapter) but it seems that there is not detailed information on how to configure Simplify3D.

Somebody has already this upgrade working for the Artemis?

I read that a guy has a V3 with the same mod, but he says that he did nothing in Simplify 3D, that it was the firmware what took care of it. Already asked for more details.

Do I have to upgrade Artemis Firmware?
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Artemis + Y-Adapter + Simplify3D

Post by geneb »

The only time you /ever/ need to upgrade the Artemis firmware is if Duet3D publishes a new build that has a bug fix or new feature that you want or need. Unlike the RAMBo firmware, every single aspect of how the Artemis firmware works is controlled by the config.g, config-override.g, and other ".g" files.

I can't help you with S3D, but here's the guide on how it's done in Cura:
https://seemecnc.dozuki.com/Guide/Cura+ ... 09?lang=en

(The guide is currently being worked on so may not be done when you read this reply.)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

geneb wrote:The only time you /ever/ need to upgrade the Artemis firmware is if Duet3D publishes a new build that has a bug fix or new feature that you want or need. Unlike the RAMBo firmware, every single aspect of how the Artemis firmware works is controlled by the config.g, config-override.g, and other ".g" files.

I can't help you with S3D, but here's the guide on how it's done in Cura:
https://seemecnc.dozuki.com/Guide/Cura+ ... 09?lang=en

(The guide is currently being worked on so may not be done when you read this reply.)

g.
Thanks geneb. I read (and followed) the instructions to have a baseline with Cura. First print didn't work as it seems to be acting over 1 extruder, but I will troubleshoot, I believe there should be a problem in the Config.g and report back!
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

Thanks! I didn't know this doc, definitely, I'll have to read it tonight.
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

Ok, I got a first working version profile for Simplify3D (S3D). You can find it attached to this post.

I'm trying to replicate the same logic used in CURA by using the "Tool Change Script" and "Starting Script".

It is a first working draft of a work in progress, so take it with a grain of salt.

Two things to take into account:

1) You need to set both filaments at same distance as if you were using the profile for CURA, this is, around a 40mm gap between the Y adapter and the end of the filament.

2) I hardcoded a XY postion where the nozzle moves to change tools X=0,Y=-130, if your print is using this coordinate will get that spot with lost of "strings"
Attachments
Artemis Dual V1.zip
(3.33 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

This is my second print using this profile for S3D, not bad, but still needs to be improved.
Frog Dual.png
alexzogh
Plasticator

Post by alexzogh »

I realize I'm late to the party on this one, but you don't need a tool change script here at all with S3d.

You need two "processes" One process is for Tool 0, and one process is for tool 1. you just assign each process to the "part" you want for each color. in the FFF setting for each process, you will see a button at the bottom that says "select models" - just select the parts you want for that particular color, then do the same for the other process.

You can create as many processes as you want. I do this all the time for multi-prints, where some may require a 100% infill, others need a fine print, etc... When you have multiple processes and you go to "prepare to print" you will then get a new "process selection" menu pop up. You just select "select all" to print all of the processes, and be sure to choose "continuous printing" in the printing mode.

The tool change process should be automatic, and the whole process is managed by the firmware.
BigDaddyEureka
Plasticator

Post by BigDaddyEureka »

@alexzogh - I think you're right for dual color printing. The Dual Extrusion Wizard will want two processes, one for the "left extruder" and one for the "right extruder." In reality there's only one extruder on the Artemis, and you're using the tool change command to extract the frist filament and switch to the second (or vice versa).

However, this won't work for printing with PLA for the base material and PVA for the supports. If you try to do it that way, it S3D will overprint PVA onto your PLa and wreck the whole thing. What is needed is the ability to define Tool 0 (zero) as the first extruder with the PLA and Tool 1 as the second extruder with PVA...BUT in reality the T0 and T1 commands are really only actuating the feeder mechanisms and there's only the one nozzle on the Artemis. You'll take a hit for the temperature switch since the nozzle will be too hot or too cold (since PLA and PVa print at different temperatures), and you still need a retract on the change or we will get string city everywhere.

Has anyone gotten PLA-PVA to work on the Artemis yet using S3D? If so, can you post up a *.factory or a *.fff file for it?
BigDaddyEureka
Plasticator

Post by BigDaddyEureka »

Well, with no replies in amonth I thought I'd leave a few breadcrumbs for others....check out http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... 31#p110231 for more information...
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

@BigDaddyEureka just reading your answer (he). Did you get it to work PLA/PVA? the link you left is broken.

Return to “Artemis”