Slic3r 0.9.9 vs KISSlicer?

A place to talk about slic3r software (http://slic3r.org)
Turner
Plasticator

Slic3r 0.9.9 vs KISSlicer?

Post by Turner »

I have heard from the top guys that KISSlicer is the way to go, due to illogical paths which Slic3r 0.9.8 was making. It seems like 0.9.9 completely fixed this problem, and more! I was about to install and figure out KISSlicer as a replacement, but noticed the Slic3r 0.9.9 update and installed it instead, and I am very happy! I just printed the tree-frog, and upon completion, it was almost completely flawless straight off the printer.

Has anybody compared KISSlicer with the new Slic3r 0.9.9?
Flateric
Printmaster!

Re: Slic3r 0.9.9 vs KISSlicer?

Post by Flateric »

Honestly I use both...ALOT. I own both, donated cash for both, like both, hate both.

LOL, great answer hey?

Seriously though there are days when I cannot get a good print out of one but I get great stuff from the other. Then the next thing I know I am loving the one I hated the very next day.

The one I cannot figure out at ALL is the Skienforge one. Hell I cannot even get it to slice. LOL
"Now you see why evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
Turner
Plasticator

Post by Turner »

Thanks for the input! I will have to just give in and give KISSlicer a try.
Flateric
Printmaster!

Post by Flateric »

I would like to elaborate a bit more on my answer I suppose.

It partially depends upon the type of object I am trying to print. How much time I have to mess about with it and if it is for show or function.

I generally find that the overall visual apperance of the final piece to be nice from Kiss. I speculate that this is a result of, in my personal opinion only, it's superior path decision making. Kiss I doubt anyone will argue just makes better choices more often than Slic3r seems too. I also find that Kiss seems to have a better handle on the whole ooze issue and also less problems with strings and messy restarts. I attribute this to the more specific options available to handle the specifics of these print issues.

Slic3r is more convenient to use and just get on with it when needing to get something done. It's integrated directly into the printing utility so handy to just quickly configure and hit go with. I find that for functional but not as beautiful results I have liked it's results more. They are not as "perfect" looking, but seem to be more accurate in size and stronger and more durable.

Not sure if this helps or confuses more than anything, but there ya go.
"Now you see why evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
howsTricks
Plasticator

Post by howsTricks »

Issue #1 of reprap magazine compares these two plus Cura, seems like they each have their strengths like Flateric mentioned.

http://reprapmagazine.com/

Return to “Slic3r”