Slic3r Prints Never Start...

A place to talk about slic3r software (http://slic3r.org)
jarek319
Prints-a-lot

Slic3r Prints Never Start...

Post by jarek319 »

I've been using MatterEngine in MatterControl to slice my files for my Rostock Max V2, successfully. I've started playing with new filaments, and I wanted to try the herbertcurve infill pattern. The only problem is, when I export the Gcode to my SD Card, then plug the SD Card into the Rostock Max V2 and select the file I want to start, the Target Temperature for the Extruder and Bed set themselves to 0 and 0, while the MatterSlice slicer sets therm to 220 and 90 (as they should be). I double checked my settings, and if I manually turn the temperatures up using the LCD menu, the print starts and completes smoothly.
craftymethod
Printmaster!

Re: Slic3r Prints Never Start...

Post by craftymethod »

If you print from the SD card it uses the Slic3r engine? didn't realise that...

Im guessing its a setting somewhere for the start temps?
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Printing from the SD card has nothing to do with the slicer used. If he's actually using Slic3r to generate the gcode, he's doing so specifically - MatterControl won't randomly choose a different slicer just because you're writing the gcode file out to an SD card.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
jarek319
Prints-a-lot

Post by jarek319 »

Just to check, I plugged my printer's usb cable into the computer running MatterControl, and the same thing happened if I just tried hitting "Print". I know it takes much longer to slice using Slic3r, but I can tell when this happens because I can manually set the temperatures using the Controls panel in MatterControl, then when I click Print and wait for the slicing to be done, when the gcode is supposed to send the commands to heat the extruder and bed, the "intended temperatures" on the Rostock Max V2 LCD panel set to 0, and I have to manually set the temperatures on the LCD Panel to get the printer to start.

HELP!?!?!
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

can you save the gcode to the desktop and attach it here? (for both slicers)
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

I have the same problem and I exported the Gcode to see it.
G21 ; set units to millimeters
M104 S{temperature}
M190 S{bed_temperature}
M109 S{temperature}
G28

As you can see the "{temperature}" field should have a number in it but it does not.

I don't know how to correct it or why it is that way.

Dale Eason
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

Not sure how you got those settings. Check your Start G-code field. References to Slic3r variables should be in square brackets, not curly brackets. It would also make more sense to use the first layer temp variables instead of those corresponding to the rest of the print.
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

Thank you. The tip about the syntax for Slicr was the key. I never found a way to edit the Gcode directly in MatterControl. Everytime I tried is reverted back to the original setting even after I saved it. Instead I imported a new slicer Material setting. Using that one fixed it except I now need to update all of the other settings that I adjusted to make good prints.

Dale
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

I just tried to use the Slic3r engine for the first time and I'm having the same issue. I opened the Gcode terminal and this is what it showed:

N1 M110 S1*96
ok
wait
N2 G21*24
ok 2
N3 M104 S{TEMPERATURE}*28
Error:Format error
Resend:3
ok
Resend:3
ok
ok 3
TargetExtr0:0
N4 M190 S{BED_TEMPERATURE}*10
ok 4
N5 M105*34
ok 5
N6 M109 S{TEMPERATURE}*20
Resend:6
ok
<-Resend:6
ok
ok 6
TargetExtr0:0
N7 G28*20

Not sure why. I have the material set to 230 for the hot end and 95 for the bed.
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

Did you get your copy of Slic3r the same place the others did? Your Slic3r variables in the start G-code are also in curly brackets instead of square brackets. The code won't parse that correctly.
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

IMBoring25 wrote:Did you get your copy of Slic3r the same place the others did? Your Slic3r variables in the start G-code are also in curly brackets instead of square brackets. The code won't parse that correctly.
Slic3r came with MatterControl. The only thing I had to download were the preferences and that came from the SeeMeCNC download page
Noob

Post by Implicit »

I'm having same issue.
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

I downloaded the preferences you're talking about and looked at it. It specifies triangular infill, which is not a listed option in Slic3r, so it shouldn't be for the Slic3r engine. The curly brackets around the environment variable names would also be a problem if the Slic3r engine is trying to use that configuration, as they will not be parsed as variable names and will just show up in the gcode the way they are. If Slic3r is going to use it they need to be square brackets.

The note that some people are getting an SD print to start by selecting the file on the LCD and then manually setting the bed and extrusion temperatures puzzles me, as it doesn't launch the print for me when I select a file with the LCD but I've had success getting it to launch an SD print by passing it M24 from Repetier Host after pointing it to a file, without need to manually set any temperatures.
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

the latest version of MC has a huge slic3r bug in it, I notified them of my problem and they are aware of it, they will come up with something really quick I imagine.

TomC
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
dignition
Noob

Post by dignition »

For anyone finding this due to a Google search, here is how you fix the problem:

1. Open Slic3r and go to Printer Settings --> Custom G-code
2. Under "Start G-code", change every instance of a curly bracket, { or }, to a square bracket, [ or ]. Here is what is entered in my "Start G-code" section:
M104 S[temperature]

M190 S[bed_temperature]

M109 S[temperature]

G28
3. Save the settings and re-export the G-code for your print.
4. Open the file that you exported with a text editor and verify that it says something like this around line 10ish:

M104 S228

M190 S100

M109 S228

...and NOT something like this instead:

M104 S{temperature}

M190 S{bed_temperature}

M109 S{temperature}

5. Close the file without saving, move the G-code to your printer, and have at it!

One last thing, since you might run into this while tinkering: if you connect to your printer using MatterControl while printing (or pre-heating to print) from an SD card, chances are it will stop the print. I recommend just closing MatterControl when using Slic3r.

Return to “Slic3r”