Anyone heard of KISSlicer?

Talk about KISSlicer software here (http://kisslicer.com)
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Anyone heard of KISSlicer?

Post by michaellatif »

http://www.lonesock.net/kisslicer.html

Anyone use this slicing software? How does it compare to slic3r or skeinforge?
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
Leeway
Printmaster!

Re: Anyone heard of KISSlicer?

Post by Leeway »

I haven't used it. It is a command line program. I never got along well with DOS, so I try to stay away from command line stuff. ;)
Lee
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

Yeah, looks like it's all CLI based. It seems not bad and is feature/functionality rich.
I will have to play with it once I get done modifying my H-1, whenever that will be :-).
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
karabas
Plasticator

Post by karabas »

You are wrong. Newer versions are not command line and have friendly GUI and run under win/mac/linux. I jumped to this slicer and I like it. Look at http://kisslicer.com
Grab example setting zip for quicker starting. Extremly fast slicer. It has bugs but author reacts quickly and very responsive at his forum.

BTW I use Cura (skeinPyPy) previously.
Leeway
Printmaster!

Post by Leeway »

I am wrong NOW! ;)
I didn't see anything about a GUI when I looked at it the other day.
I did download it and will give it a go at some point. Looks interesting.
Thanks for the correction.
Lee
mastercaster
Noob

Post by mastercaster »

I am using / testing it. You need to set 2 extruders to get it to post A for the extruder. Rafting is nice, support works well.

Alan
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

FWIW I finally took a look at KISSlicer over the weekend, and I'm pretty impressed.
Support works, configuration is relatively straight forwards, although there is some odd terminology used because of the B&B history.
Results were excellent, it does some clever things like wipe before transition, i.e. it stops extruding them backs up over the path it just made to wipe excess plastic off the tip.
It's MUCH faster than any other slicer including Slic3r.

Well worth a look if you haven't already.
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

Yeah, I am starting to play a bit with it. I am impressed. I saw a few bots at this past weeks NC MakerFaire and they were using KISSSlicer pro. The print quality was impressive and the only real thing I could see was different (besides style of printer hardware) between their machines and my H-1 was the software used to produce the gcode.
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

There is IMO one issue with slic3r that can reduce overall quality, notably you can't really control the width of the extrusion explicitly, it get's clamped if you set the ratio manually, and the calculated default seems to be too high for optimum quality.
This can affect bridging and the general look to a lesser extent, more so with lower layer heights.

FWIW I think the print to do to verify your printer is setup as well as it can be mechanically is the single walled cube.
It's a no brainer to slice, and material overlap doesn't affect quality, so it takes the software out of the equation and you can see if the layers are aligning properly with changing Z.

The other thing I've now noticed makes a huge difference is the plastic itself, it's unclear to me if the difference I see is just down to the pigment in the plastic or it's a manufacturing quality issue, I just ordered a microscope to look at some of the filament I have here in more detail to see if there is an obvious difference.
thingevery
Prints-a-lot

Post by thingevery »

Is anybody using KISSlicer on Ubuntu 12.04? I'm getting an error about missing the file: 'libfltk_gl.so.1.3'

Is this something I can install? Or is KISSlicer not supported on 12.04?
barnett
Printmaster!

Post by barnett »

I haven't tried it, but if you check the KISSlicer forum, there is this post which has a link to this page where you can get that missing file.
thingevery
Prints-a-lot

Post by thingevery »

barnett, you rock!

I actually needed this 32 bit Intel version, which I was able to find at that link.

Thanks man!

Return to “KISSlicer”