Thinking of giving KISSlicer a try...what do I need to know?

Talk about KISSlicer software here (http://kisslicer.com)
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Thinking of giving KISSlicer a try...what do I need to know?

Post by 0110-m-p »

Because I have gotten tired of the crazy path that Slic3r decides to take sometimes (esp. on the first layer) and I have heard KISSlicer is better at this I'm going to give a try this weekend. I'm not looking for a tutorial or anything, just curious if there is any expert advice that can be given ahead of time to make my transition a little easier. Thanks!
Current Machines || Rostock Max (V1) | V3DR ||
Previous Machines || Flashforge Creator Pro ||
Flateric
Printmaster!

Re: Thinking of giving KISSlicer a try...what do I need to k

Post by Flateric »

I have heard that he has restarted development somewhat, although I have yet to see any substantial gains in this area to speak of. For now I would not go for the pro version and just go for the free version. Until regular updates begin to start again.
"Now you see why evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
Batteau62
Printmaster!

Post by Batteau62 »

KISS is my go to slicer. I recommend getting MHackney's profiles here: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1452" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; They will get you started. You can tweak as you go. Development is slooooow! But I still purchased a pro key because I like it so much. I really hope it continues. Have fun with it...and Happy Printing :!: :D
-"Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool."
-"As soon as you make something fool proof...along comes an idiot."
-"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." ~Thomas Edison
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

Thanks, I'm finishing up my bed leveling tonight and will be trying out my new IC3D ABS with Slic3r since I know what to expect. Once I get good parts with Slic3r I take the same STL and give it a go in KISSlicer and see what I can come up with.
bdjohns1
Printmaster!

Post by bdjohns1 »

Flateric wrote:I have heard that he has restarted development somewhat, although I have yet to see any substantial gains in this area to speak of. For now I would not go for the pro version and just go for the free version. Until regular updates begin to start again.
Unless you need multiple extruder support, that's about the only reason you have to have a pro key. There's one other feature (crowning path threshholds) that's unlocked with Pro, and it's not a showstopper.

He has added in some missing features (like actually printing a brim on parts to stick them to the bed better) in the beta releases.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

I paid for it because I used it, and I like to support developers, not the "pro features".
The other omitted feature in the free version is the ability to plate multiple parts.
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

It still is the best slicer that I've found despite it's slow development table. Ever since he added the brim feature I've had far less reason to ever use the others at all.

Tips... Check de-string and wipe and use 'loops go from inside to perimeter' if you're doing something to look nice rather than be dimensionally accurate.
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

Thanks for the tips everyone! I finally got my printer recalibrated and printing pretty in Slic3r tonight. I started playing with the KISSlicer software and really like it even if it is a little less pretty. Going to give it a go tomorrow.
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

So first off...KISSlicer is awesome. Went ahead and bought the Pro key to support the dev and to be able to print multiple objects.

Only problem I'm having is that it extrudes a huge blob of material at the beginning of the print based on the prime value. So to eliminate this I have to manually change the code to set the initial extruder value (E92) closer to what it want during the first move. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a way to fix this in the slicer settings?

Anyway...here are a few pictures of my first prints with my 0.4mm nozzle E3D V5 hot end.

0.15mms layer height, 25% infill...love the rounded infill option

[img]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3956/154 ... 01b6_b.jpg[/img]

0.15mm layers, 33% infill

[img]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3954/154 ... 7a1a_b.jpg[/img]

0.2mm layers, 100% infill, ultra fine supports

[img]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5613/154 ... 41d5_b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3945/156 ... 1849_b.jpg[/img]
DGBK
Printmaster!

Post by DGBK »

0110-m-p wrote:Only problem I'm having is that it extrudes a huge blob of material at the beginning of the print based on the prime value.]
I just switched to KISSSlicer two days ago, and I was reading through the forums to see if this question had been answered. Did you ever find a fix? The only place I have substantial blobbing is the beginning point of the bottom layer where it jumps from the skirt to the model.

It just seems to either extrude too much right at that spot or doesn't implement de-stringing on that jump.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

You need to add a G92 E0 to the start up microcode, I would assume MHackneys configuration files referenced here have something like it added.
Kiss' configuration relies pretty heavily on pieces of uCode inserted before and after the print, before and after extruder changes etc, and the defaults aren't very rational for our printers.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Some reason the kiss interface reminds me of using a lynx browser in the 90's :)
DGBK
Printmaster!

Post by DGBK »

Polygonhell wrote:You need to add a G92 E0 to the start up microcode, I would assume MHackneys configuration files referenced here have something like it added.
Kiss' configuration relies pretty heavily on pieces of uCode inserted before and after the print, before and after extruder changes etc, and the defaults aren't very rational for our printers.
Would I add that in the the "printer G-code" tab under "prefix"?

Return to “KISSlicer”