New Rostock Max V2 in Vancouver, Canada

Introduce yourself to the community!
Russ
Prints-a-lot

New Rostock Max V2 in Vancouver, Canada

Post by Russ »

Just a quick hello to all my fellow enthusiasts on this helpful forum, and a quick thanks to SeeMeCNC for a great kit! It's up and running with a .35mm nozzle, some cooling mods shown below and the AstroSyn dampers are in the mail. Fun stuff, and the prints, using Cura, are very nice. Such an upgrade from my Thing-O-Matic, hard to believe it has only been 3 years since that was a cutting edge printer. I'll try converting that one to NinjaFlex.

Here's my baby. I added a chassis cooling mod here

http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6470

and a Rambo cooling fan here

http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6472" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[img]https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/teth ... mplete.JPG[/img]

And here's the cooling mods

[img]https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/teth ... r/Base.jpg[/img]

Cheers!
Last edited by Russ on Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Vancouver, Canada

Rostock Max V2 - Lovin' it! Mods including dual 92mm chassis fans, vertical 92mm Rambo fan, and AstroSyn dampers.
MendelMax 1.5 - still in the box, what to do?
Thing-O-Matic - Rebuilt carriage, now converting to NinjaFlex
bot
Printmaster!

Re: New Rostock Max V2 in Vancouver, Canada

Post by bot »

Oh hey, neighbour. I just ordered a V2. How are you liking yours so far? Are those three 120mm fans in the base? How are you powering them?
*not actually a robot
Russ
Prints-a-lot

Post by Russ »

Hi bot,

Loving the V2 so far and it's making some great prints. The fans are 92mm and the mod info is here http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6472. Not sure if I ran into you in the local 3D604 or hackspace, you look familiar. Let me know how it goes!

Cheers,
Russ
Vancouver, Canada

Rostock Max V2 - Lovin' it! Mods including dual 92mm chassis fans, vertical 92mm Rambo fan, and AstroSyn dampers.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Good to hear the V2 is working out for you. I'm getting my "workshop" (condo-sized) all set up while I wait for the printer to arrive. I'm very excited. It's possible we've run into each other, but more likely you've met my brother Caleb. He has attended several 3d604 meetups in the past. I was only at science world when the expo was happening in 2013.

That cooling mod seems interesting, but if I'm not mistaken, the fan is directing cooling only to the back of the Rambo PCB. Is this effective at dissipating heat from the stepper drivers? Also, what are the other two fans I see doing? Providing airflow for the PSU cooling?

Once I get my printer running I'll likely be showing my face at local events.

Take care,
*not actually a robot
Russ
Prints-a-lot

Post by Russ »

I had two mods, one has two fans in the back. I switched from an ATX power supply to a 12v one, so it needed a good exhaust. For the Rambo, from what I read the main cooling is needed on the back, but I can't confirm that. The stock fan is on the back, but it would be tough to mount one on the front with all the wires. So far so good on long prints. Wishing there was some kind of stepper cooler chip temperature reading logic on these boards. That would be handy.

I was thinking about the E3DV6 as well. The resistors and RTV in the stock hotend have a bit of a temporary feeling. I wrapped mine up in Kapton really good just in case the RTV lets go. That and the hotend needs some protection from the peek fran.

[img]https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/teth ... otend1.jpg[/img]

I'm pondering acceleration settings now as I get some overrun on 90 degree corners at 100mm/s print speeds. Ah, the joys of tweaking those settings. I switched to Cura as Slic3r just had too many strange stringing/retraction issues.
Russ
Vancouver, Canada

bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Yeah there are so many variables to tweak, but finding the right balance (for the situation) is soooo rewarding. I can't wait. Did you find anywhere local to source that kapton tape or did you order from online? I've already got so many shipments coming in I'm reluctant to get more in... I'll lose track of them all.
*not actually a robot
Russ
Prints-a-lot

Post by Russ »

I think I saw some Kapton-ish looking tape at Lee's or Main Electronics last week. The color looked a bit off, so it may be a knockoff. I ordered mine from Amazon a couple of years ago.
Russ
Vancouver, Canada

teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Would you guys mind cropping and resizing your photos?

If using apple and preview, select the relevant part of the photo, and then press CMD+K. Then go to tools and select resize.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Yeah I picked up some kapton at Lee's today, as well as a cheap molex style crimping tool and some other goodies. It says "kapton" on the tape so I'm guessing/hoping it's legit.
*not actually a robot

Return to “New Member introduction”