new order

Introduce yourself to the community!
wild01
Plasticator

new order

Post by wild01 »

Well bit the bullet and finally ordered one yesterday. I know they say 7-10 day wait, but i still spent far to long today watching the shop cam as they packed kit's for shipment, hoping...

This is my first machine so I will have a lot of build questions. the physical build doesn't worry me at all I'm a millwright with machinist and cnc experience. if I can align a 60 ton motor within +- .001" with a couple dial indicators, a sledge hammer, porta power, and shim stock, this shouldn't be a problem. The calibration and firmware load worries me though, I AM NOT A PROGRAMMER the closest thing to code generation I come to is G-code. and even that's been a few years.

I know there are several tutorials out there for firmware load etc. but if someone could recommend a "explain it to me like I'm a five year old, and someone's life hangs in the balance" preferably video tutorial I would dearly appreciate it.

My idea of some assembly required. ;)
P12-23-11_15-53[1] (2).jpg
Me @ Rainbow Dam Montana Christmas 2011 (yes that's a tree on top)
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: new order

Post by mhackney »

Welcome aboard. Since you are familiar with CNC machining you probably won't have that much difficulty with the software side of things. It's all open source and well supported - if not in this forum, in the software's support forum.

I recommend you read geneb's Assembly Manual cover to cover - twice - while you are waiting! And read through the build threads for tips and other ideas.

cheers,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
wild01
Plasticator

Post by wild01 »

Well just got shipping notice. Now the wait. delivery scheduled for the 21st.
I've never understood how ups can get something from California to Colorado in 2 days, but it always takes 6 or 7 out of the north east. They're both about the same distance.
Flateric
Printmaster!

Post by Flateric »

I watched the live cams too when I was waiting for my order, LOL.

You think that wait is bad, when you order to Canada you have to wait for yet another entirely new Government to get their hands in there, slow things down, ask for more money's, then and only then do you get to have a new "scheduled" delivery date which will always be after your initial date.

It'll be there soon, hang in there.

I am waiting for my first hotend to come so I can finally start my first print, THAT"S frustrating...LOL.

My machine is tweaked and calibrated to the extreme though, well what I can do anyways.
"Now you see why evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
wild01
Plasticator

Post by wild01 »

Yeah, there are some things that will be illegal in Colorado in a few months that I need to print out so I'm anxious to get started.
rs50pilot
Printmaster!

Post by rs50pilot »

wild01 wrote:Yeah, there are some things that will be illegal in Colorado in a few months that I need to print out so I'm anxious to get started.
Yeah and I thought California was bad. But soon enough I will be disappointed.
tom10122
Printmaster!

Post by tom10122 »

wild01 wrote:Yeah, there are some things that will be illegal in Colorado in a few months that I need to print out so I'm anxious to get started.
Would that be a AR ? :)
wild01
Plasticator

Post by wild01 »

naw just some boxes. the ar isn't being outlawed. standard size boxes are
wild01
Plasticator

Post by wild01 »

well it's built now except i sneezed while soldering on the hot end thermistor and ripped it in half, Doh!. got another ordered. feet were missing their plastic nuts, seeme is sending new ones, also power stitch was doa, but grabbed another from radio shack (if only they carried thermistors)
been high speed dry running it (just delete hot end heat commands and run w/o loading filament) and it seems to work, but frequently freezes which I understand is a known issue w/ repetier host. msg example(18:17:49.165 : Error:No Line Number with checksum, Last Line:197301)

still running factory marlin firmware, attempted upgrade to polygonhell's repetier fw but repetier host just went into a repeating wait in the log when I tried to connect. also attempted johnny99's marlin fw for lcd but lcd didn't work and it did vbt (very bad things) ie moving w/o commands not stopping after hitting limit switches etc.

will reattempt after replacing thermistor, hopefully that will fix. also blew 5a micro fuse on rambo board (bypassed for now [wired in auto fuse to holder]) would appreciate source for new fuse.

looking forward to cleaning off my countertops, but I don't dare throw out my build trash until I am fully operational jic I missed a part.

well that's all for now wish me luck

Return to “New Member introduction”