Rostock MAX™ v2 for son

Introduce yourself to the community!
TwoTone
Printmaster!

Rostock MAX™ v2 for son

Post by TwoTone »

So my inlaws are getting my son a Rostock MAX™ v2 for his Bday. Just getting on here to learn as much as I can to help him.

So far, I already have a E3Dv6 with tip set, a set of NEMA 17 Dampers and 2 additional layer fans coming.
I have a 750w Corsair PS left over from a PC build.

Are there any other upgrades I should have on hand from the start?

I know eventually and enclosure that will require a top mount for the extruder.

Thanks, looking forward to see what he does with this.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Rostock MAX™ v2 for son

Post by teoman »

Build it stock first with dampers...

Read the threads on the damper installation.

You can have a look at cable management options to make a beautifull printer.

The manual is good, and there is not much to building the printer. You just need to invest the hours and dont skimp on doing the stuff properly.

Oh, some connectors , and a pei sheet later on and you are golden.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
TwoTone
Printmaster!

Post by TwoTone »

Thanks.

Another question I forgot to ask- a good beginners guide that most agree on?
Some of the advice I see on forum related to subject matter I know well shocks me. Trying to avoid that same bad advice as I help him get the most out of this.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

You can't go wrong with the manual. And time.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
gchristopher
Printmaster!

Post by gchristopher »

TwoTone wrote:Another question I forgot to ask- a good beginners guide that most agree on?
Second vote for the manual. It's pretty exceptional.
TwoTone wrote:Some of the advice I see on forum related to subject matter I know well shocks me. Trying to avoid that same bad advice as I help him get the most out of this.
Most everyone here would be happy for you to share your expertise! That's really the only way to elevate the discussion and improve the quality of community advice. What were the topics that stood out as shocking? (I know that my build breaks code by failing to include a physical barrier between 120VAC and some other wiring.) I'm always curious as to what else I'm doing really wrong.
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

Build the stock hot end first..(just upgrade to the screw in potted thermistor as seen in this video by our esteemed manual writer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvXKt3xDt4E ) use it to make the ABS fan shrouds and a few ABS test prints... and document everything in writing as you print and change filament then when you move to PLA. get comfortable with the stock hot end using PLA before you complicate things with the E3D hot end as it has a higher learning curve with PLA though it is the bees knees with high temp stuff like nylon
TwoTone
Printmaster!

Post by TwoTone »

gchristopher wrote:
TwoTone wrote:Another question I forgot to ask- a good beginners guide that most agree on?
Second vote for the manual. It's pretty exceptional.
TwoTone wrote:Some of the advice I see on forum related to subject matter I know well shocks me. Trying to avoid that same bad advice as I help him get the most out of this.
Most everyone here would be happy for you to share your expertise! That's really the only way to elevate the discussion and improve the quality of community advice. What were the topics that stood out as shocking? (I know that my build breaks code by failing to include a physical barrier between 120VAC and some other wiring.) I'm always curious as to what else I'm doing really wrong.
I think you miss understood, forums that have nothing to do with 3D printers. I know the subjects very well and sometimes the posts are just really bad and I wonder about a newcomer reading that post and following the advice.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

So you're referring to advice on a non-3d printing oriented forum giving out bad 3d printing advice? Name names! :D

BTW, there's no need for an ATX power supply. The v2 kit has used a dedicated 29A 12v power supply since December '15.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
noventix
Printmaster!

Post by noventix »

Agreed on the manual, and the comments. Build stock first, using the instructions from Gene. There is nothing quite as satisfying as building the printer, and then printing the PEEK fan shroud. Insanely cool.

I have put plenty of hours in with the base unit and am now calibrating my upgrades. I don't think I could have done this without running with the stock equipment first. This is an exercise in patience.
Rostock Max V2. E3D V6 Hotend. E3D Titan Extruder. TrickLaser Carbon Fiber 300mm Arms. TrickLaser MaxMetal Platform. TrickLaser Trick Trucks. TrickLaser Heat Spreader. TrickLaser LED Light Ring. MeanWell SP-500-24. Simplify3D.
greyghost
Plasticator

Post by greyghost »

noventix wrote:Agreed on the manual, and the comments. Build stock first, using the instructions from Gene. There is nothing quite as satisfying as building the printer, and then printing the PEEK fan shroud. Insanely cool.

I have put plenty of hours in with the base unit and am now calibrating my upgrades. I don't think I could have done this without running with the stock equipment first. This is an exercise in patience.
I agree. I bought the e3d v6 upgrade but built it stock since you have to print the mount for the e3d. Follow the guides and you will be good to go. I wish I had known about using cat5 to keep my wires nice and bundled. Another thing, when the guide says 20 hours build time they really mean it. My brother and I worked on it together and I think we clocked about 24 hours building it.
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

geneb wrote:So you're referring to advice on a non-3d printing oriented forum giving out bad 3d printing advice?
What I think he means is, he looks at other forums about other things, and they give bad advice about those things. Therefore, he wants to know if we give bad advice as well, or are we a reputable bunch?

I am speaking from experience when I say the folks on here won't steer you wrong. And most everyone is very nice!
Rostock MAX V2 with trick trucks, cf arms, prometheus hot end, nimble extruder, berdAir cooling.
Cura slicer, Duet Wifi, iMac
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Download the latest manual from Seemecnc.com downloads section and build the printer EXACTLY from that manual. Do not just look at the pictures, make sure you read the text also.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
TwoTone
Printmaster!

Post by TwoTone »

ramai wrote:
geneb wrote:So you're referring to advice on a non-3d printing oriented forum giving out bad 3d printing advice?
What I think he means is, he looks at other forums about other things, and they give bad advice about those things. Therefore, he wants to know if we give bad advice as well, or are we a reputable bunch?

I am speaking from experience when I say the folks on here won't steer you wrong. And most everyone is very nice!
Yes that's what I meant- not so much about this board since I assumed being a manufactures community you guys should know your stuff, just all the research I'm doing in general on 3D printing. When you know nothing about a subject, you worry if what you're reading is sound advice or garbage.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

The advice is sound, but the advisors are loony tunes. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

geneb wrote:The advice is sound, but the advisors are loony tunes. :)

g.
I resemble that remark! :P
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”

Return to “New Member introduction”