Live from Detroit.........well, just a bit North anyways

Introduce yourself to the community!
grindliner
Noob

Live from Detroit.........well, just a bit North anyways

Post by grindliner »

Hey all, new to the 3D world, I was gathering parts to build the MPCNC, then ran across a deal on a Rostock Max V2 (I think), so I bit and snagged it for $200. Now I just need to go through it with a fine toothed comb and figure out if it works
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

Re: Live from Detroit.........well, just a bit North anyways

Post by PartDaddy »

Hi grindliner, that's a great deal. The RAMBo control board and motors along are worth it. Power it on and see what the screen says.

Follow the original guide here: https://www.seemecnc.com/pages/downloads

You can get this machine printing great with ball joints carriages, arms, if it doesn't have them. Welcome to the forum.
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Blackpoint Engineering is SeeMeCNC
Since 1996
grindliner
Noob

Post by grindliner »

thats why I bought it, I figured I couldn't go wrong. the guy I bought it from got it at an auction with a lot of office furniture he bought.
It does power up, but the display only shows two rows of blocks. the wiring is a bit of a mess, and the usb port on the rambo is at an angle.
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/yvKxf ... 2-h1214-no[/img]
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

Post by PartDaddy »

I'd begin with the assembly manual at the link above. Original documentation from us. Track down wiring and check for short circuits, etc.

> The LCD could just be plugged in wrong, you can't fry it even if you plug the two plugs in wrong, however they only work one way.
> Ultimachine might repair the RAMBo USB jack, sounds broke, usually just cost of shipping to them, but you'll need to email them direct.
> The EZ struder works, but older model. EZR is the new model.
> Hotend (eeeek) Maybe consider an HE280 and a whip, but it'll take some work
> yes, wiring leaves a lot to be desired.
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Blackpoint Engineering is SeeMeCNC
Since 1996
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Welcome from somewhere else Detroit-ish. (I'm not in detroit itself, but close enough for convience's sake.) If you have some issues trying to restore your Max 2, should you choose to, I can offer some amount of help. If you're just after the RAMBO, and don't particularly care for the rest of the printer, someone may be willing to take it off your hands, such as me (I'm minorly tempted. I'd enjoy having an experimental and a production printer that are somewhat close), who could do a Duet swap. If your Rambo isn't working, I have one that does at least boot up (I uninstalled it from a printer for troubleshooting, and installed a Duet when it was still boot looping in isolation, until I tracked down that the reset button had failed closed and removed it)

The hotend does look like an E3D (or clone), so it may not be as bad as Part-daddy was thinking.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001

Return to “New Member introduction”