New member from Osceola (30 mins away from SeeMeCNC!)

Introduce yourself to the community!
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

New member from Osceola (30 mins away from SeeMeCNC!)

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Hey everybody, Jim here. I went to Goshen last week and picked up a Rostock Max kit (got the factory tour too!). Black wood with the Onyx bed and the LCD kit.

I had good intentions of photographing every step of the process and helping to supplement the instructions, but I got excited and forgot to take pictures for every step :) I have been posting my progress to imgur though. http://imgur.com/a/PWPR3#27

So far so good. I've got the structure built, the extruder assembled, the electronics mounted, and the moving pieces nicely filed and fitted. I'm ready to tighten up the bearings, install the belts, snap on the arms and build the hotend. Hopefully I'll be ready to plug it in this weekend!
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: New member from Osceola (30 mins away from SeeMeCNC!)

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Imgur album, now with titles and descriptions!
cambo3d
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by cambo3d »

couple of things, what type of glass did you use?

Looks like the resister leads are touching the hotend, I would double check that to make sure there not touching any part of the aluminum or end up with a short.

looks like a good build, got your lcd working with no problems. I'm beginning to dig the black version.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

cambo3d wrote:couple of things, what type of glass did you use?

Looks like the resister leads are touching the hotend, I would double check that to make sure there not touching any part of the aluminum or end up with a short.

looks like a good build, got your lcd working with no problems. I'm beginning to dig the black version.
I just bought a $3 piece of plate glass from the local home improvement store. Menards, in my case. (Lowes has plate glass, but it's in their employees only glass cutting booth, and I couldn't find any glass at all at Home Depot)

LCD works like a charm. John from SeeMeCNC loaded a beta firmware on it last night (may be a release version, but he called me a guinea pig). The menu structure is a little different, but definitely an improvement.

The resistor leads are not touching anything conductive, but it sure looks like it in my picture. I actually bent the leads to hug the curve of the aluminum with about a 3mm gap. I didn't want anything touching the plastic carrier, so I made the hotend as neat and compact as I could. Wish I had more teflon tubing left when I installed the thermistor, some kapton tape would have helped too. That may get redone soon...
cambo3d
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by cambo3d »

was it pyrex or boro type glass, regular glass will crack under heat stress. Just a word of caution something to look out for.

what beta firmware? he got a new firmware comin out?
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

cambo3d wrote:was it pyrex or boro type glass, regular glass will crack under heat stress. Just a word of caution something to look out for.

what beta firmware? he got a new firmware comin out?
I've used conventional window glass on printers for years at bed temps in the 100 range and have never had a piece break.
Doesn't mean it can't happen, but I wouldn't fet about it.
The Max might be more of an issue more because of the size of the bed and the amount he Onyx is likely to move when it gets hot, I'm using the Boro circle on mine, but only because it was convenient to tack onto an order I was making and getting glass cut at my local ACE hardware always takes absolutely forever.

Return to “New Member introduction”