Hello from Raleigh, NC, USA

Introduce yourself to the community!
DocHogan
Prints-a-lot

Hello from Raleigh, NC, USA

Post by DocHogan »

Howdy all.

I'm a 3D printing newbie with some background in modelling (Maya/ZBrush/Rhino) for personal entertainment, 2d CAD (AutoCAD) for contour job shop layout (waterjet, brake). Professional experience in job shop and production shop machining (manual and CNC 3-axis milling, manual turning, multi-turret live tool CNC turning)

I'm an avid boardgamer, and among other uses, a large focus of my projects right now will be storage and organization accessories (box inserts). I hope to make a purchase of a Rostock MAX v2 in 5-7 weeks, and am *devouring* all of the awesome info on these forums! The RoMAX is honestly not the best printer for the job, but is damned cool to watch and is just about the best value for the build volume I've found in a ready-to-build kit, with good customer service/support and a great community; a cartesian printer with an extra large print volume (a la gMax or x400) is the ultimate goal, but that machine can be scratch-built with the assistance of the RoMAX :D

I'm loving geneb's build manual; I could swear, though, that I had at one point found a real-time start-to-finish build series on YouTube, which I'm not able to find now. There is an excellent single video of the whole build, but it has a lot of time-lapse; there is also a decent start-to-finish series on a v1 (which I'm also having difficulty finding again). Can anyone direct me to a start-to-finish, real-time video build log for a v2?

Planned or desired near-term upgrades:
stepper isolation on axes
magnetic joints/carbon fiber rods
e3d Kraken / mainly for size and cooling, dual extrusion, high temp capability for exotic materials; no plans on quad extrusion any time soon
Azteeg X3 Pro with VIKI screen / ARM based controller when they can support all steppers/thermistors/heaters with a minimum of all features provided in current firmwares
?? open to suggestions ;)
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Hello from Raleigh, NC, USA

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Welcome to the Forum!
It is good to to know that you will be purchasing the Rostock Max V2 with a couple of months.
We are here to help if you have any problems during your build.
With your experience you want to answer some questions of other members.
Happy planning and Printing.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Boundless
Printmaster!

Post by Boundless »

Howdy Doc,

Just thought I'd chime in to say hey to a close neighbor. I'm down in Wilmington and finished my Rostock Max v2 recently. Really enjoyed the build and printing rocks.

This is a great forum, many ready to help if we can.
lbarger
Printmaster!

Post by lbarger »

Hello Doc in Raleigh (and Boundless in Wilmington),

I'm Lee from Hillsborough. My RMax V2 kit arrives tomorrow. Plan to take a couple days off to start putting it all together. Doc, I like that list of future upgrades, very similar to my own wish list. I'm starting with a 550W PS and extension cables to cut instead of the PS cables (so future swaps should require no wire cutting). Also planning a two tone paint job, vibration dampers and recommended plugs for the hotend/fan wiring.

Might this be the build video you were looking for? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k1eKH0_fR4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I need more minions!

Return to “New Member introduction”