Hey everyone

Introduce yourself to the community!
tom10122
Printmaster!

Hey everyone

Post by tom10122 »

Hey everyone. New to 3d printers hope to get one soon. I think I'm one of the youngest here(16 on the 18th) I;m hoping to get some money soon to get a kit.
Extrude3D
Printmaster!

Re: Hey everyone

Post by Extrude3D »

I am a student as well and just bought my kit. My build log will start when final exams finish and will be from a students perspective (however, I do have lots of experience with electronics and hardware as I have completed lots of projects before).

Buy the normal kit ($149) and build it. You can just keep adding parts at $100-130 intervals whenever you get the money. Right now, since I sold a few things and finished up an app design for a client, I have enough to afford the parts I need but I am still not buying it all at once.

-Extrude3D (Pronounced: extruded)

by the way: if you are in the NY area, shoot me a private message.
Last edited by Extrude3D on Sat May 12, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Extrude3D/Brent
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

Hey Tom,

If I were in your position, I would purchase the basic kit as Extrude3D said ($150), that will be more then plenty for a 3-4 weeks of assembly. Then add to it motors, controller, filament, etc... If you want to do it on the cheap, I have had friends salvage parts (motors) from printers or surplus hardware shops and assembled their own controllers (Sanguinololu/RAMPS). These two helped shave down the cost, but takes time and experience with DIY electronics.

Best of luck!
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
Extrude3D
Printmaster!

Post by Extrude3D »

michaellatif wrote:Hey Tom,

If I were in your position, I would purchase the basic kit as Extrude3D said ($150), that will be more then plenty for a 3-4 weeks of assembly. Then add to it motors, controller, filament, etc... If you want to do it on the cheap, I have had friends salvage parts (motors) from printers or surplus hardware shops and assembled their own controllers (Sanguinololu/RAMPS). These two helped shave down the cost, but takes time and experience with DIY electronics.

Best of luck!
Yea, I am looking at 4 weeks max for assembly. Or a few long days :ugeek:

If you want to buy motors, you could probably go where Michael said, or you can find some surplus on eBay for around $60-100 (I got my NEMA 17's from a local machine shop for $68).
-Extrude3D/Brent
tom10122
Printmaster!

Post by tom10122 »

Hi, i do have a lot of experience with electronics too, I'm working on a portable gamecube right now, am gonna get the full kit so I don't forget anything that I need, I am actually in north nj .
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

tom10122 wrote:Hi, i do have a lot of experience with electronics too, I'm working on a portable gamecube right now, am gonna get the full kit so I don't forget anything that I need, I am actually in north nj .
If you don't already have a Mach3 license, make sure to add one to your order, you will need it for the full kit.
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
tom10122
Printmaster!

Post by tom10122 »

I "borrowed" mach3 from a torrent site
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

tom10122 wrote:I "borrowed" mach3 from a torrent site
o_O . . . as a software developer I am crying on the inside. Just promise that if you like the tool that you will purchase a license.
The tool does have a trial mode that allows you to run up to 500 lines of gcode.

Oh, and BTW, most ISP's are now tracking what you download via torrent. You may not get a letter saying 'cease and desist' but they have it on record now.
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
Extrude3D
Printmaster!

Post by Extrude3D »

michaellatif wrote:
tom10122 wrote:I "borrowed" mach3 from a torrent site
o_O . . . as a software developer I am crying on the inside. Just promise that if you like the tool that you will purchase a license.
The tool does have a trial mode that allows you to run up to 500 lines of gcode.

Oh, and BTW, most ISP's are now tracking what you download via torrent. You may not get a letter saying 'cease and desist' but they have it on record now.

That is the most rude thing I have ever heard Tom. You didnt borrow it. If you borrowed it, you would have downloaded the trial. You are never going to buy it, face it. You now have a working serial and full installation and there is no real reason to uninstall/reinstall.

As an iOS Developer, that is just rude. If someone pirated my apps (Which they do not because I actively monitor major torrent sites and install0us repos.) and claimed to 'borrow' it, I would uninstall it forcibly from their device and then uninstall cydia as they are unable to handle what that software does, or understand what cyida was made for.

The above applies to your usage of BitTorrent. Stealing software is NOT okay and it is NOT borrowing

=====ONCE AGAIN=======
[img]http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/streams%5C ... medium.jpg[/img]

Do you think they put these there for fun? NO they dont. What makes you think you can do this and claim to 'borrow'.

Renting a DVD/Bluray from blockbuster is DIFFERENT than stealing it from Best Buy and claiming to 'borrow' it.
-Extrude3D/Brent
tom10122
Printmaster!

Post by tom10122 »

Yeah I know , I read uP on that a bit , I get 5 warnings before my ISP gets shut off , haven't got one yet . ;) .I actually code alittle myself (x-code for iPhone) and I know how you feel it pisses me off when people pirate apps. And extrude, i know they can track it but legally they are not allowed to keep records of my Internet usage, people get caught by companies monitoring the file.I'm 16 I'm not spend extra money on software
Extrude3D
Printmaster!

Post by Extrude3D »

No, you dont know.

I'm 16 I'm not spend extra money on software
Honestly, I happen to be 16 as well and I (even though I am not going the mach 3 route) would spend money on software that is required for the operation of the product. If you can not afford the software, it is not yours to have.

I actually code alittle myself (x-code for iPhone)
You may code yourself, but that is different from producing a commercial product, distributing it and then learning that someone is stealing.

legally they are not allowed to keep records of my Internet usage, people get caught by companies monitoring the file.
Heck yea they are, and they can find it by SSH'ing into your modem and using DPI (Deep Packet Inspection). When seeding/downloading/uploading a torrent, ANYONE else who is downloading the torrent can see your IP address as it is publicly available. If you were to pirate, I would do it through other means (which you have to really search for because I will not mention groups here) that do not publicly reveal my IP Address.

Source, if you want to 'read up' : http://forums.peerblock.com/read.php?8,4977,4985

You are a thief
-Extrude3D/Brent
tom10122
Printmaster!

Post by tom10122 »

Companies sell millions of copies of their software and freak out over one leak , look a apple ,they are one of the best (if not the best) electronics companies in the world and you don't need any serial for their operating systems. They are still going strong .
Extrude3D
Printmaster!

Post by Extrude3D »

tom10122 wrote:Companies sell millions of copies of their software and freak out over one leak , look a apple ,they are one of the best (if not the best) electronics companies in the world and you don't need any serial for their operating systems. They are still going strong .
Mach3 is a commercial product (http://www.machsupport.com/), yet is not a multi billion dollar company like apple. . You dont need a serial for OS X because they have billions upon billions of dollars and their software ships with the computers and is CHEAP.

Dont tell me you pirated OS X Lion too....

We are not talking about apple, we are talking about an independently owned company which is not even a public stock.
-Extrude3D/Brent
tom10122
Printmaster!

Post by tom10122 »

It is still a company doing quite well. No I did not pirate lion as I have an amd hackintosh. If they cared much at all then they would institute a better serial key system
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

Ok fellas, lets stop with the back and forth. Tom10122 is going to do what he wants, regardless of what we say.
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
tom10122
Printmaster!

Post by tom10122 »

Thank you , I don't pirate much software my teacher has a whole mess of educational liscences I get for autocad and other misc
Leeway
Printmaster!

Post by Leeway »

While Mach does offer a trial version, it would not be very useful in 3D printing. I could use it some for some minor ops on my lathe and mill, but anything creative will take more lines of code. Piracy is theft and theft is illegal. It doesn't really matter if you get caught, it just isn't something to be proud of. I would not list that ability on my resume. ;)
There are legitimate free sources of software that can be used instead of Mach. My 3D printer doesn't use Mach, though I have 3 and soon 4 cnc machines that do.
I love using Mach 3 now and will eventually use it on a printer, but it really is overkill for a 3D printer.
I would like to see a dumbed down version specifically for 3D printers, but it is easier just not to use the features you don't need.
You aren't the first to pirate Mach and doubtful you will be the last. Buying software is not a pleasant experience in general, but it is one that you will need to get used to if you want to stay out of hot water in the future. No telling what changes and penalties will be for this in the future, but it is safe to say that the developers want their share. :)
Lee
zaphod
Prints-a-lot

Post by zaphod »

Tom,
I'm using the Open source LinuxCNC and it is just a little harder since I'm a minority but I hope to blaze the trail and show how to use it with all the screen shots / etc. You may want to give it a try!

Best Wishes,

Z
awander
Prints-a-lot

Post by awander »

Mach3 supposedly has stuff built in to cause pirated copies to be, shall we say, "less than predictable.

That;s straight from Arty Fenerty, Mach's inventor.
Andy Wander

Return to “New Member introduction”