Newbie in the room. Lots of spending to come.

Introduce yourself to the community!
Stevolution
Printmaster!

Re: Newbie in the room. Lots of spending to come.

Post by Stevolution »

Am I right in thinking this is the correct E3D V6 nozzle?

http://e3d-online.com/E3D-v6/Full-Kit/v ... sal-Bowden
Nareikuk
Printmaster!

Post by Nareikuk »

That's the one.
Stevolution
Printmaster!

Post by Stevolution »

Hope you don't mind the questions. Hopefully some will be helpful for other people starting off....

3D conversion. I have been playing with Blender and made a few items. What is the process to get these items to a state ready to print?
I assume they are sliced using software into a file type the printer can read (G-code?).

I have heard of Slic3er, but keep seeing the name .91 Repetier everywhere. What are people using?

Thanks
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Stevolution wrote:Hope you don't mind the questions. Hopefully some will be helpful for other people starting off....

3D conversion. I have been playing with Blender and made a few items. What is the process to get these items to a state ready to print?
I assume they are sliced using software into a file type the printer can read (G-code?).

I have heard of Slic3er, but keep seeing the name .91 Repetier everywhere. What are people using?

Thanks
The Blender files should be saved as STL files then the STL files are loaded by whatever slicer you use, Slic3R or others. the resultant output of Slic3R is called G-Code and is loaded to the printer.
The printers use firmware that is on the Rambo card and this firmware is usually called .91 Repetier. The Repetier software also includes Repetier Host which runs on the computer to control the printer.
The slicer can be a variety of different software which most are listed under the subforum Software.
These are just basic answers to give you a brief understanding, please send us a message if more facts are needed.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Stevolution
Printmaster!

Post by Stevolution »

Wow... my 3d skills are useless.
It was a long time back when I played with 3d software (early Blender I think). I thought I could jump back in :roll: Getting old sucks

Been all evening trying to draw a simple open topped box in Freecad (tried Blender as well)... nope. Just got in a right mess.
Can't find a decent video tutorial or book either.

Not much point getting the uber super printer if I can't design the parts!
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Stevolution, if you're a Windows user, Design Spark Mechanical comes highly recommended and is a free download. There's a number of how-to videos on it's use from what I've been told.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
RocketMagnet
Printmaster!

Post by RocketMagnet »

If you want to get up and running designing stuff then

https://www.tinkercad.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Overall it's ruined a bit by being cloud based but it's as easy as it's possible to be. An open topped box of set dimensions will take under 30 seconds if that. Download it as an STL and load it into repetier /slice/print... easy.
There are basic tutorials on the site.

Drag box into workspace... set its dimensions.. drag another box into the workspace .. make it slightly smaller but maintain its height dimension and increase it's height off the floor by a few mm, change it to a hole and align it X/Y using the ruler tool or by eye, select both objects and combine the two and there you go.. open topped box. Click download as SLT and your good to go.

It's limited but being creative you can create extremely complex objects, best of all it's ultra quick and very easy to just play with.. I find in most pro software you have to know what your aiming for right from the start. I don't im more a general idea and just see where it goes atm.

I find trying to edit existing objects a good place to start, I personally imported the SeeMeCNC peek fan into Tinkercad and added a fan grid to the back of it with no experience of 3D modelling in about 20 mins or so.. now it would take 5 if that.. found it pretty easy actually.
Tinkergrid.png
Above Item in tinkercad one of the first things I ever done outside of some initial acclimatisation session before my printer arrived .. below the item printed out and in use on the Qrion... People can get snobby about tinkercad I suppose but at the end of the day it was quick and easy... the part does the job.. my printer doesn't care which software the item was designed in :)
PeekGuard.jpg
So don't get disheartened the full on CAD stuff has a steep learning curve. Designing stuff that prints easily takes practice and experience, I'll bet most people with more experience than us had exactly the same issues to begin with.. even experienced moddlers have to get used to designing with "printability" in mind...

So start simple and small and build up, easy to get carried away in your head :P. Personally I'm just learning Freecad to be a bit more respectable and when you do know what your doing complex mods are quicker
Stevolution
Printmaster!

Post by Stevolution »

Thanks guys

I downloaded Designspark and will have a go with Tinkercad.... see how we go
Stevolution
Printmaster!

Post by Stevolution »

OK. Tinkercad is way easier to use. I will stick with that and see where I go from there.

Thanks for the advice

Return to “New Member introduction”