How to Load Test a 12 or 24v PSU

briankb
Printmaster!

How to Load Test a 12 or 24v PSU

Post by briankb »

I recently picked up a Prusa i3 kit for $300 (new including shipping). After getting it working and even printing well but for the past few days I'm having intermittent issues and I'm trying to determine if it is the power supply (12v) or the controller board (MKS Base v1.3).

I removed the PSU and tested the voltage at the AC input and the three DC outputs but they were all as expected.

So now I'm trying to think how to check the PSU again while it's under a load of some kind.

I don't have any good ideas on how to do this, I have a few strips of 12v LED lights but I'm not sure that would put enough on it.

Any suggestions other than hooking up the printer and running it?
- CNC's: Rostock Max upgraded to v3.2, Prusa i3 MK3 MMU, Formlabs Form SLA, Shapeoko3 CNC, Palette+, Palette 2 Pro
- Software: Fusion 360, SpaceClaim Engineer, Simplify3D, Repetier Firmware & Host, VCarve Pro
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: How to Load Test a 12 or 24v PSU

Post by geneb »

Don't you have a heated bed on the printer? If not, get one and test the voltage while it's heating the bed.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
briankb
Printmaster!

Post by briankb »

Indeed and I have an extra one, wish I had just thought of that... thanks!
- CNC's: Rostock Max upgraded to v3.2, Prusa i3 MK3 MMU, Formlabs Form SLA, Shapeoko3 CNC, Palette+, Palette 2 Pro
- Software: Fusion 360, SpaceClaim Engineer, Simplify3D, Repetier Firmware & Host, VCarve Pro
BuckeyeVolunteer
Printmaster!

Post by BuckeyeVolunteer »

I have the same problem it's the MKS v1.3 board.

Return to “Power Supplies”