Adapting MK1 Heat Bed to H1

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
cquinby
Printmaster!

Adapting MK1 Heat Bed to H1

Post by cquinby »

Guys,

I am on a mission this weekend to get my MK1 bed onto the H1. I am frustrated with corners popping off the bed as i use ABS.

I am new to this stuff so I am not sure the proper way to install the bed but here is what I am thinking.

1. Swing the angled all thread rods to the outside, extend the all thread on the base (already purchased more 60 degree parts). this will open up the inside to allow for the MK1 bed while hopefully retaining the rigidity in the x axis. (I may put cross bracing across the angled all thread in the x axis).
2. Machine out a couple adapters in aluminum to go from the H1 base plate to the MK1 bed.
3. Insulate between the adapters and the MK1 (insulate the bottom of the MK1 I guess is the real goal here) with this material http://www.oatey.com/Channel/Shared/Pro ... ector.html
4. Go find a local glass shop that has some pyrex glass and have a top cut.
5. Source another Vellemen kit to control the heat bed and figure out what thermistor I need (wish SeeMeCNC sold them, I can always use extra extruder nozzles!)

Slap it together and go.

Am I missing anything?
__

Chris
Chris Muncy
Printmaster!

Re: Adapting MK1 Heat Bed to H1

Post by Chris Muncy »

Chris,

The thermister that comes with the MK138 kit will work fine for the bed as that is what I use but you need to make a resistor change to get the bed hot enough for ABS. I don't remember what resistor it is (I'm at work right now) but you short it out.

If you haven't seen it already you can see my mod at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxxaWwKWZXc
Chris Muncy
H-1 #5
cquinby
Printmaster!

Post by cquinby »

Cool Chris. Spoke with John and Steve at length this morning. I will be using the thermistor for the hot end and mess with the resistors to suite. Steve put the MK138 kit up to order it while I was on the phone! Great guys to say the least. Trying to talk them into getting a bulk price on nozzles...

I will take a look at your mod here in a bit.
__

Chris
cquinby
Printmaster!

Post by cquinby »

Good stuff there. Gave me some ideas for sure. Are there other options to Kapton tape? Just curious...

That warping issue is what I am trying to avoid. I think the top of the part is cooling to fast causing the warp issue. Have you been able to remidy it yet?
__

Chris
Chris Muncy
Printmaster!

Post by Chris Muncy »

The warping issue is cured with the heated bed. I can print almost as large as my print bed without any issues. As far as options to kapton tape I don't know. It seems to be the standard. Now if you plan on printing with PLA, then you can ans should print straight to glass (as long as it's heated)
Chris Muncy
H-1 #5
cquinby
Printmaster!

Post by cquinby »

what about the warping issue once you remove the part like in your video?
__

Chris
Chris Muncy
Printmaster!

Post by Chris Muncy »

Zero, nada, nyet.
As long as the first layer is well adhered to the bed. If my first layer is not sufficiently squished then I get lifting still. I also have to typically wait 10 to 15 minutes for my bead to get good and hot to 100C
Chris Muncy
H-1 #5
cquinby
Printmaster!

Post by cquinby »

Chris,

Have you tried to insulate the bottom side of the PCB? I have read that insulating the bottom is almost a must to maintain temp and speed up the start-up time. This is why I was looking at that insulation material in the first post.

Just ordered a few roles of kapton tape, should be here early next week.
__

Chris
Chris Muncy
Printmaster!

Post by Chris Muncy »

I haven't had any issues with temps but that doesn't mean I couldn't stuff something under the heater.
Chris Muncy
H-1 #5
Dave_Sohlstrom
Printmaster!

Post by Dave_Sohlstrom »

Hi guys

I'm still waiting for the temp controller for my heated bed so no heat yet. I had a 25'x2' roll of kool wool high temp insulation that was bought to build a burn out oven with. I cut a piece 8"X8" and split it so I have just a little over 1/4" that will go between the Alu table and the Alu heated bed. I will report on the results.
Dave Sohlstrom

H-1 Tank
cquinby
Printmaster!

Post by cquinby »

good stuff.

i just ordered 2 8x8" Borosillicate plates and some ultra thin insulation good to 480F to go between the aluminum and hot plate from McMaster. Called a local glass shop and it was $48 for one 8x8" plate, now I get 2!!!
__

Chris
JTCUSTOMS
Printmaster!

Post by JTCUSTOMS »

Do you have any links? I am just about to pull the trigger on the heated bed.

P.S. what part of WA are you from?
JTCUSTOMS

“Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.” Abraham Lincoln
cquinby
Printmaster!

Post by cquinby »

Stuff is from Mcmaster-carr.

Insulation is part number 9583T12
Borosilicate glass plate is part number 8476K183

I'm down south of olympia.
__

Chris

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”