Moving extruder motor

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Moving extruder motor

Post by BenTheRighteous »

So I looked around for a way to move the extruder stepper to the top of my Max (preparing to build an enclosure) and while I swear it's been done before, I couldn't find any downloads for it. So I modeled my own and want to share.

First up is the actual bracket to print to move the stepper:
http://repables.com/r/453/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And next is the stepper feed knob, the one that came with the kit was too long to fit the whole assembly between the top hole of the melamine:
http://repables.com/r/454/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IMG_20141230_101249.jpg
IMG_20141230_101318.jpg
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
JFettig
Printmaster!

Re: Moving extruder motor

Post by JFettig »

Great work! I'm planning on doing exactly that now. I was designing a dual motor mount but for now I'll print one of these.

I had my enclosure up to 40c and no missed steps so far with it inside.

Is the stock Bowden tune long enough?
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

I'm not sure - it might not be. I'm using the bowden I got with my e3d, which is long enough. I can't remember if I cut the stock bowden or not, but with the length it is now it would not reach.

I guess the motor heat is only a problem for some people. Mine doesn't miss steps but lately it's been getting hot enough to soften and jam filament, so the next mod I'll be doing will involve installing a cooling fan up there. I have a good idea for how I want to do it.
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Also, if you're looking for a dual extruder mount, have you seen this? http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:364325" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

Yes I have but I'd like to crank up the temps in my chamber even higher when I find a good heater solution so I definitely want to put them external. I started designing a mount that sits right where the spool holder sits, at a 45 degree angle to put the bowden tubes down the center hole.
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

I was able to get part 2 of this modeled and printed - I wanted to point a fan at the extruder stepper motor, but I didn't want anything to get in the way of proper airflow. So I added a fan mount and vents to the spool holder and one of the upper faceplates.

I think since the new models don't really stand on their own (it would be silly to print these without having first printed the top motor mount), I just added them to my existing repable upload, http://repables.com/r/453.

Uploaded a few more pictures there too. I made a small oopsie and didn't consider the stepper getting in the way of spool placement, so that's why the arm is at a funny angle now... I'll get around to fixing that sooner or later, but it works for now... :P
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Alright, the last part of this mod is finally complete! I modeled a new spool arm that's higher, thinner, and longer than the stock one. I no longer have trouble with oversize spools of filament, including the 3lb Amazon trimmer line that has such tiny little holes.

I haven't tested this arm without my cooling-fan-modified holder, but I suspect that it would not work well due to my side panel being 4mm taller.

Here are some pics to demonstrate how the final setup winds up looking. (But please ignore my in-process JFettig enclosure!)
IMG_20150123_170428.jpg
IMG_20150123_170337.jpg
Same URL as always, http://repables.com/r/453" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. :)
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Now THAT's a spool of filament!

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

I stole your idea and made it into a double mount - but I had to relocate my spools, one on each side. The 2nd extruder isn't wired up yet - don't have the hot end yet.

Nice enclosure :D

[img]http://i.imgur.com/B8cfht9.jpg[/img]
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Clever idea! I had been idly wondering where a 2nd extruder motor could go with such a setup, without sacrificing the top melamine. It hadn't occurred to me to move the spool - I like the approach!
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

Here is the mount I designed - it uses one of the screw holes from the original spool mount for the 2nd extruder bowden tube to pass through - you will have to drill it out so it fits through.

I attached the files for it and the spool mounts - I pretty much copied another that had some stuff in the design that I didn't like - the snap features I created didn't really work but they don't inhibit its operation. No support needed to print the spool parts. I can upload SW files if needed.
Attachments
SPOOL BASE.STL
(4.13 MiB) Downloaded 221 times
2-05 SPOOL SHAFT.STL
(4.48 MiB) Downloaded 214 times
1-25 SPOOL SHAFT.STL
(3.93 MiB) Downloaded 201 times
0-725 SPOOL SHAFT.STL
(3.78 MiB) Downloaded 194 times
DOUBLE MOUNT.STL
(316.29 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
techstorage
Printmaster!

Post by techstorage »

Nice setup guys, I just started to change my Black Max to Dual printing. I have the Legends pack from E3D and I like the idea of removing the extruder motor out of the enclosure at the same time.

I didn’t run extra wires into the towers last year when I assembled my printer, so I am toying with putting a tube down the back Z tower to create a new channel for the extra wires. With the belts in 2 channels and the cheapskates in the other two, I hope to get the wires inside one of the cheapskate channels. What have you done for the extra wires?

Thanks for posting your parts for the dual extruder mod.
drfuyutsuki
Plasticator

Post by drfuyutsuki »

As a heads up the stock screws attaching the cold extruder will not work. You need to pick up some 6-32x2.5" in order to use the top mount bracket. Something I wish I had realized before disassembling everything last night.
drfuyutsuki
Plasticator

Post by drfuyutsuki »

JFettig wrote:Here is the mount I designed - it uses one of the screw holes from the original spool mount for the 2nd extruder bowden tube to pass through - you will have to drill it out so it fits through.

I attached the files for it and the spool mounts - I pretty much copied another that had some stuff in the design that I didn't like - the snap features I created didn't really work but they don't inhibit its operation. No support needed to print the spool parts. I can upload SW files if needed.
J,
Could you thicken the holders fins slightly? My buddy, who admittedly likes to play with printed stuff, broke one off fairly easily. I think they could use to be about half again as think, e.g. 1.5mm instead of 1mm.
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

techstorage wrote:I didn’t run extra wires into the towers last year when I assembled my printer, so I am toying with putting a tube down the back Z tower to create a new channel for the extra wires. With the belts in 2 channels and the cheapskates in the other two, I hope to get the wires inside one of the cheapskate channels. What have you done for the extra wires?
I just got dual extrusion working myself and that's exactly what I did, minus the tubing. jdurand had a good idea about using plastic strapping to isolate the wires from the cheapskate rollers, so I went to home depot and scavenged some from their lumber department. It was scrap and they were happy to let me take as much as I wanted.

I'll post some pictures of everything when I get back in town next week.
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

I'm not quite sure what part you're referencing
techstorage
Printmaster!

Post by techstorage »

The plastic strapping sound easier to deal with then tubes. Thanks, I have plenty of scrap strapping to use also.
drfuyutsuki
Plasticator

Post by drfuyutsuki »

JFettig wrote:I'm not quite sure what part you're referencing
Attachments
14340010111531193776840.jpg
20150610_223340.jpg

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”