Installing Tricklaser CF arms

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
DGBK
Printmaster!

Installing Tricklaser CF arms

Post by DGBK »

Hey everyone. I got some of the 300mm carbon fiber arms for Christmas, and I'm trying to install them. My first impression of the product is that it's well built. Unfortunately, the instructions don't seem to be that great. The instructions are basically just a 2 page PDF with fuzzy pictures that aren't completely labelled. I'm having a hard time figuring out where to put all the hardware on my V2. I successfully built a Rostock Max V2, so I thought this would be no problem.

First, I'm doing the effector platform. From what I can see by the pictures, there are two brass washers that go all the way to the inside followed by two locking nuts. These basically center the threaded rod (which could really use a flatted piece in the middle to help the pliers grip better).

Next, the instructions show someone starting to put in a "truss head screw" between the axle and the platform. This could really use an after picture. I assume he went in at a angle, but only half of my screws (3/6) actually bit this way. The others just stripped out the plastic. I ended up gluing them in place with a couple drops of super glue to make sure they wouldn't fly off during a fast move. I didn't notice until later that the online version of the instructions says they may not be necessary.

That's as far as I've gotten tonight. The next step will be to slip on the ball ends followed by... I'm not sure. It seems to me you could use more locking nuts, since the package came with 12 of them. On the truck side it says to use the thin nuts. The documentation isn't clear on whether to use the exact same setup on the platform and the trucks. There are also 6 stainless steel washers that are slightly larger than the brass washers that aren't mentioned in the documentation at all. Is it possible that these go onto the axles as a buffer between the locking nuts and the ball ends? If so, why only 6? Shouldn't there be 12?

That makes three questions.
1. Do I need the stainless steel washers?
2. Are the setups on the truck and platform sides identical?
3. What is the setup inside to out? (I think it will be brass washer > lock nut > ball end > lock nut based on the pictures, or brass washer > lock nut > ball end > thin nut based on the notations).

Thanks for letting me vent a little and for any help you may bring.

If anyone wants a reference, the documentation is here: http://www.tricklaser.com/media/Trick%2 ... 281%29.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Re: Installing Tricklaser CF arms

Post by bvandiepenbos »

yes, the instructions need updated and improved. I am working on that.

re: 1.) the larger stainless washers are used only if you have the injection molded trucks with axle adapters. They go under screws that clamp axle.

re: 2.) yes the setup is same on platform and carriages. Make sure arms are spaced the same distance apart top and bottom.

re: 3.) inside to out is as shown on instructions... brass washer>lock nut>rod end>thin washer.
hold axle in center with locking pliers to install nuts.

sorry you are having trouble, I hope the above info helps.

I just checked with my staff that packages those and the instruction she is printing and sending are outdated, oops sorry about that.
The instructions online are newer than ones included with arms.

~*Brian
http://www.TrickLaser.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Maybe this picture might help. I'm not sure what the arm install on the new carriages look like

http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... rms#p63821" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DGBK
Printmaster!

Post by DGBK »

Brian, thanks for the quick customer service. I think the rest of the install should go smoothly. I can see why you are well liked around these parts. I do have the newer injection molded carriages, so I will be using those washers. I will hopefully finish up my install tonight after work.

Kas, thanks for the link. I saw that before, but I was still not 100% sure about the outside nuts. Due to the shape of the ball joint, a curved portion of a lock nut could have been hiding inside of the joint.

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”