bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

E3D Titan Extruder

Post by bubbasnow »

bradjshannon
Printmaster!

Re: E3D Titan Extruder

Post by bradjshannon »

That product demo animation is pretty impressive.
Woolf
Printmaster!

Post by Woolf »

I also have seen the new Titan extruder with a 3:1 gear reduction. The design concept looks great and really thought-out. I have ordered one, to replace my Ezstruder, to give it a shot!
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

They looked great at MRRF. I almost bought one while I was there, but you know, too many projects...

Excited to hear about how they work out for everyone else!
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I like the looks of it. But I think I'll stick with the Bondtech. Better gear ratio, hobbed on both sides, and no need to worry about Delrin gearing coming apart. I've dealt with some small features on Delrin, such as threads, and while they can be surprisingly resistant, they can also mush on you some, and are not exactly what I would pick for power transmission in an elevated temp environment. A bondtech is about twice the cost, but for the gains and my use case, I think it wins. Those on a budget or going for multi-extrusion probably have other opinions. Definitely an improvement over say, a Greg's-wade extruder.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

Got both of mine today, seemingly working well. Can answer questions after a couple more hours/prints
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Post by Shizuma »

Definitely interested in how well it works, almost went and pulled the trigger yesterday but decided to hold off for some reviews of it, been wanting to upgrade to a geared extruder but didn't want one with too high of a ratio, was looking for something around 2:1 / 3:1 so it perfect just enough to get more torque but not too high to slow things down. Hoping the extra toque will help printing at a decent speed with the Protopasta stainless steel and iron filaments as right now I have to slow the prints way down to around 15-20mm/s as the extruder motor slips constantly with anything higher, and even slips occasionally at that speed.
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

My E3d v6 has arrived, and my Titan extruder will be here very soon.

Anything special about the install for the titan? Looks like it should bolt right on.
elmoret
Printmaster!

Post by elmoret »

kraegar wrote:Anything special about the install for the titan? Looks like it should bolt right on.
Just be sure to remove the collet from the heatsink (if 1.75mm) and use a just barely short enough piece of PTFE, so the Titan will push down on the PTFE and not leave a gap down in the heatbreak.

bubbasnow, how's the Titan treating you?
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Post by Shizuma »

kraegar wrote:My E3d v6 has arrived, and my Titan extruder will be here very soon.

Anything special about the install for the titan? Looks like it should bolt right on.
From the looks of it you'll need to print up at least some form of mounting plate, I ended up pulling the trigger on it and buying one which is supposed to show up today so I'm planning on designing one to mount it right to the same mount points the EZ extruder uses.

The other thing I can think of is that because of the gearing it looks like it'll require reversing the extruder direction and of course changing the extruder steps/mm.
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

I was considering getting a fly-n-strude from tricklaser at the same time, might call Brian and see if he thinks it'll fit.
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

If I get a fly-n-strude, I'll do it later. I forgot to add on the bowden coupling, so it'll be a few days before I can try the titan and see how it does for me.

I'm going to download their mounting plate, and see if I can modify it so it works with the seemecnc mounting bracket somehow, and print one of those with the ezstruder.
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Post by Shizuma »

I have my Titan installed now and so far so good, haven't tried any difficult to extrude filament yet though, just some ABS.

One thing to point out is definitely calibrate your extruder steps/mm as the 456 steps/mm that E3D's install guide was way off for me, I ended up with 403 steps/mm

20160416_184124.jpg
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

Anyone got a mount print that'll work for the titan to the standard rostock max v2 mount? E3D doesn't have anything up yet.
Holy1
Printmaster!

Post by Holy1 »

Shizuma wrote:I have my Titan installed now and so far so good, haven't tried any difficult to extrude filament yet though, just some ABS.

One thing to point out is definitely calibrate your extruder steps/mm as the 456 steps/mm that E3D's install guide was way off for me, I ended up with 403 steps/mm

20160416_184124.jpg
Duct Tape?
Orion to Cartesian http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

kraegar wrote:Anyone got a mount print that'll work for the titan to the standard rostock max v2 mount? E3D doesn't have anything up yet.
they do have a 6 hole mount that you can screw in, listed under downloads on the wiki.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Holy1 wrote:
Shizuma wrote:I have my Titan installed now and so far so good, haven't tried any difficult to extrude filament yet though, just some ABS.

20160416_184124.jpg
Duct Tape?
It's a valid part of the engineering process. If it moves and it shouldn't add duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, WD40.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Post by Shizuma »

kraegar wrote:Anyone got a mount print that'll work for the titan to the standard rostock max v2 mount? E3D doesn't have anything up yet.
Not familiar with the extruder mount of the V2, but if it's the same as the later model V1 then I can upload the one I made for mine.

Holy1 wrote:

20160416_184124.jpg
Duct Tape?
Yeah, that was my "temporary" air duct to cool my extruder motor cause I was having issues with it getting extremely hot to the touch inside my enclosed build chamber, so I made an air duct with foam board, hot glue, and duct tape with an 80mm fan pulling air though the duct. Some day i'll replace it with a nice printed one, but not till I get around to building a new nicer enclosure around the printer
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

Shizuma wrote: Not familiar with the extruder mount of the V2, but if it's the same as the later model V1 then I can upload the one I made for mine.
I believe it's the same, if you can upload I'll print and give it a shot. The bracket that e3d has would be a pain to use, I'd rather just bolt on in place of the ezstruder.
Shizuma
Printmaster!

Post by Shizuma »

kraegar wrote:
Shizuma wrote: Not familiar with the extruder mount of the V2, but if it's the same as the later model V1 then I can upload the one I made for mine.
I believe it's the same, if you can upload I'll print and give it a shot. The bracket that e3d has would be a pain to use, I'd rather just bolt on in place of the ezstruder.
Here you go :)
Attachments
E3D titan mounting plate.STL
(208.29 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

Shizuma wrote:
kraegar wrote:
Here you go :)
I can confirm this bolts right up to a v2, thanks!
cfishy
Noob

Post by cfishy »

I posted a mount on thingiverse for my v2 - making it very similar mount like easy struder. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1511130

I put speed at 403 steps/min thanks for the tip. I'm installing it with a new e3d volcano to do fast low res printing for early prototypes. I hope it's fast enough for the biggest volcano nozzle... any tip would be welcomed.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

cfishy wrote:I posted a mount on thingiverse for my v2 - making it very similar mount like easy struder. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1511130

I put speed at 403 steps/min thanks for the tip. I'm installing it with a new e3d volcano to do fast low res printing for early prototypes. I hope it's fast enough for the biggest volcano nozzle... any tip would be welcomed.
Thank you for creating and posting the mount for all of us to use.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Woolf
Printmaster!

Post by Woolf »

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”