E3D Titan on E3D V6?

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: E3D Titan on E3D V6?

Post by bubbasnow »

jtrezzo wrote:I am up and running with my air struder with the e3D v6 and 13n pancake stepper. Great performance so far. I am running with retraction at 2mm at 50mm/s right now and prints are looking great. I haven't experimented much with different retraction lengths but am betting it could even go a little lower. Next on my list is to try some of the filaments that always jammed before like wood, flexible, metal.

Some images: (yes, I know my effector plate is upside down, but it works! :))
[img]http://i.imgur.com/yPqZ7D3.jpg[/img]
note, looks like your first layer is underextruding a bit. or your overlap is not enough between lines, or your filament diamter is a bit off in the slicer settings, or your nozzle width is set to mucho, or or or
TN Yankee
Printmaster!

Post by TN Yankee »

I've got a Titan on order, and was wondering how the little pancake motors work with NinjaFlex/SemiFlex, etc. Do they provide enough torque?

Thanks!
Span24
Printmaster!

Post by Span24 »

Well, after some work we have the mount printed, the titan installed and the wiring completed. However, 'Houston, we have a problem!'.

When we test the extruder (no filament) it does nothing but click. It does not advance. We tested for freedom of movement and there appears to be no binding.

We DID change the stepper motor out from stock with a smaller one which we mounted directly to the titan which is setup as an air-struder. Of course, it came from China. As we do not know but enough to be dangerous about swapping steppers I thought I should post the specs here and see if we need to change anything in the firmware to get this one to work. Keep in mind that the printer was bone stock and worked just fine prior to the swap and the old stepper still works (we wired in QDs so my son could swap back if he wants while he is away at college).

I have attached the spec sheet that came with the steppers. Yes, I bought 4 of them cause China is a long walk from Northern Indiana!
stepperspecs.jpg
Any assistance is appreciated. Pictures are forthcoming once we have a working printer again!!

Michael
Printers:
Orion
Rostock MAX V2 (x2)

Why YES, It IS Rocket Science!
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

You probably have the stepper wired incorrectly, i.e. you don't have the poles matched up properly. You can find out which one goes with the other by trying to turn the motor with two of the wires shorted together. There will be a bit of resistance when you try to turn the motor if you have the correct wire pairs shorted.
Span24
Printmaster!

Post by Span24 »

Thanks a Tonne NyLocke! Worked like a charm once we got it wired correctly. Of course, the wire colors on the old and new steppers didnt match nor did our extension wires!

Pics to follow!

Michael
Printers:
Orion
Rostock MAX V2 (x2)

Span24
Printmaster!

Post by Span24 »

Here are some images of the Air-Struded Titan with a 20cm Stepper. Will post more data after some calibration and test prints.
titan2 (Large).jpg
titan3 (Large).jpg
titan1 (Large).jpg
Thanks to all for the continued assistance!

Michael
Printers:
Orion
Rostock MAX V2 (x2)

Span24
Printmaster!

Post by Span24 »

OK, Next problem; We have the Titan retracting and extruding in the proper directions. However, no matter the 'Steps per mm' setting in the EEPROM the extruder only moves about 24mm when told to extrude 100mm. Additionally, the stepper is getting quite hot. Hot enough that you cant leave your finger on it without blistering your skin.

We researched the amperage adjustments in the firmware and it looks like the MOTOR CURRENT setting for the extruder is 130 which should be about .7Amps which matches the listed Rated Current for the stepper we have (refer to image above). So, at this point again, Im lost....

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Michael
Printers:
Orion
Rostock MAX V2 (x2)

geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Dial back the current and see if that helps.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

I think thats more like max current or its rated for that at lower voltage. Try 85 or 100 or something a bit lower.
Span24
Printmaster!

Post by Span24 »

Thanks for the info geneb and Nylocke! Adjusting the MOTOR_CURRENT value for E from 130 to 100 eliminated the heating problem. However, the extrusion issue still remains. No matter what value we use for STEPS PER MM in the EEPROM, we tried 80 (default), 417 (recommended starting point from e3D), and 840, it only extrudes and retracts 24mm when we command it to extrude/retract 100mm.

Thanks n advance!

Michael
Printers:
Orion
Rostock MAX V2 (x2)

IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

You want EXTRUDER steps per mm. Steps per mm without the clarifier is for the towers. Put that one back to 80.
Span24
Printmaster!

Post by Span24 »

IMBoring25 wrote:You want EXTRUDER steps per mm. Steps per mm without the clarifier is for the towers. Put that one back to 80.
HAHAHAHAHA! YUP! There IS a difference between STEPS PER MM and EXTR1 STEPS PER MM!

THANKS IMBoring25! It works GREAT! On to calibration and print testing!

Michael
Printers:
Orion
Rostock MAX V2 (x2)

kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

I'm still using my titan, but switched away from the "flying extruder" configuration. The extra mass swinging was producing some print artifacts at higher speeds, and some slight effector tilt. I currently have my extruder "mounted" using the bungie cords still, so it's about 1/3 of the way down - just a bit above where my hotend is when homed. It's out of the way enough I can print to full height, and the bungies keep it quiet still. The bowden is a good bit shorter than stock this way, just not as short as the flying config. It's a decent compromise, though.

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”