e3d V6 Rostock Max mount

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
McSlappy
Printmaster!

e3d V6 Rostock Max mount

Post by McSlappy »

This is just a height adjustment to the existing e3d / Prometheus mount I made.

http://repables.com/r/296/

You'll need some M4 60mm machine screws (2 3/8" long 1/8" diam approx).

If you find any issues, let me know :)
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)
ApacheXMD
Printmaster!

Re: e3d V6 Rostock Max mount

Post by ApacheXMD »

Won't the hotend be free to slide up and down if the green part isn't as thick as the "groove" in the hot end?
e3d mount.jpg
halotosis
Plasticator

Post by halotosis »

I printed this off for my E3D V6, which I just mounted last night. I worried about it sliding as well and think it would be better if the lower piece was the same thickness as the groove on the head. However, both the top and bottom were a tight fit... so tight I had to shave it a bit with a blade. It's not moving.

Thanks for the mount design, of the three I downloaded, this is the one that actually worked.

The only other recommendations... separate it into two files. I want to reprint the lower section with shorter standoffs, but I don't need a second top bracket. The positioning of the head is pretty much ideal and I gained about 10mm of build height from stock... but, now I either need a new layer fan or need to move the head back down a bit.
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

You know that gap bugged me on my v5 hot-end, but it never did move at all so I didn't bother changing it. Looking at it again this morning I've just tried to force it up, but can't and in my fuzzy morning mindset I cannot fathom why it doesn't move. It looks like it should.

Just in case, I've changed the file to eliminate the gap.

Ah, my v1 has no fan so I didn't consider this - should I make the legs 10mm taller?

The 'gapless' version and separated files are in place. Let me know about the 10mm and I'll upload a new one :)
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

McSlappy wrote:You know that gap bugged me on my v5 hot-end, but it never did move at all so I didn't bother changing it. Looking at it again this morning I've just tried to force it up, but can't and in my fuzzy morning mindset I cannot fathom why it doesn't move. It looks like it should.

Ah, my v1 has no fan so I didn't consider this - should I make the legs 10mm taller?

The 'gapless' version and separated files are in place. Let me know about the 10mm and I'll upload a new one :)
Have you connected your mount to a version 6 and if so, is there room for the fan and duct supplied by E3D?
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

I have not even received my v6 yet :/ so I've based everything off the drawings that they released. I aimed for it to fit with the e3d fan shroud, but I didn't consider the Rostock layer fan shroud :/

Eagle, you've got a v6 - any chance you could print the mount, and hold it against your setup and let me know what needs fixing?
halotosis
Plasticator

Post by halotosis »

Since I actually have it printed and mounted I can tell you it will NOT work withe stock layer fan duct. The duct sits too low compared to the print head and will run into the model. The E3D print nozzle is sitting about ten mm higher than the stock one did.

This is actually good from one perspective... the nozzle being as close to the center of the effector platform puts it closer to the center of rotation. Should he platform tilt (which it does a bit), this position will result in less movement of the nozzle and better accuracy.

I'd prefer to leave it exactly as is, but would need to find a duct for the fan. No one has released a good one for the V2 that I've seen yet. I've considered modelling one myself in solidworks, but my stills with it aren't good enough to produce something so curvy.

To make it work with the stock fan duct, you'll need to move the print head down about 8-10mm.
JohnStack
Printmaster!

Post by JohnStack »

Geesh, I was hoping someone would have solved this before mine comes from Filastruder. I got a shipping notice Friday.
Technologist, Maker, Willing to question conventional logic
http://dropc.am/p/KhiI1a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
halotosis
Plasticator

Post by halotosis »

JohnStack wrote:Geesh, I was hoping someone would have solved this before mine comes from Filastruder. I got a shipping notice Friday.
It is solved. if You still want to use the existing layer fan duct, just print the lower part of the model with it cut shorter. That's what I'm going to do sometime later today. Otherwise, thing works quite well. Fits really tight and secure, just had to clean the inside surface a bit until it fit quite snugly.

The cable management also works great. :)
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

Ok i've uploaded a 10mm shorter version which should work with the stock Rostock Fan. Sorry for not considering the fan :)

Let me know if that works.
ApacheXMD
Printmaster!

Post by ApacheXMD »

McSlappy wrote:You know that gap bugged me on my v5 hot-end, but it never did move at all so I didn't bother changing it. Looking at it again this morning I've just tried to force it up, but can't and in my fuzzy morning mindset I cannot fathom why it doesn't move. It looks like it should.

I printed your original design and tried it on my v6, and it is quite a tight fit, but even so I was able to force the hotend up under a bit a of pressure. I can imagine it moving if one accidently crashes the head to the build plate.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

McSlappy wrote:Ok i've uploaded a 10mm shorter version which should work with the stock Rostock Fan. Sorry for not considering the fan :)

Let me know if that works.
Thanks for uploading that new version.
I think that one should work fine.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

ApacheXMD wrote:

I printed your original design and tried it on my v6, and it is quite a tight fit, but even so I was able to force the hotend up under a bit a of pressure. I can imagine it moving if one accidently crashes the head to the build plate.
Perhaps that's why I never had an issue since it was such a tight fit it wouldn't move even if I pushed it lots.

Anyway, the new thicker plate is uploaded and ready :)
halotosis
Plasticator

Post by halotosis »

Yeah, it's really tight, but I prefer that. Having to scrape away a bit of plastic to form a really nice, tight coupling is a lot better problem than the inverse. Thanks for the mount, the new design is even better! I'm about to print another for a guy at work who's currently building a Max V2. He ordered the E3D after seeing one of the prints I did over the weekend.

Unfortunately, the shorter version did not come without problems. While it does accommodate the layer fan, it doesn't accommodate the E3D's fan... which would now have to occupy the same space as the effector platform. I do appreciate you making the adjustment. So, that leaves us with either coming up with a new layer or heat sink fan. I've looked at a number of layer fan designs on thinigverse, etc... none of them is low enough profile. For now, that just means sticking to ABS. Does anyone know of a design that would work? Maybe time to figure out how to do this in solidworks.
velocilobster
Prints-a-lot

Post by velocilobster »

Sorry to bring this out of the grave, but I also had problems getting the e3d fan to fit under the second version.

At the time, it was solved with a dremel, but I only used it to print off the normal rostock mount instead.
v2 with e3d v6, CF arms.

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”