New Enclosure Testing

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
1ggy
Printmaster!

New Enclosure Testing

Post by 1ggy »

So I've been having some thoughts lately about some of the heated enclosure designs I've been seeing on here, and it occurs to me that most people are neglecting an easily addressed aspect.
Here's the outside of the enclosure I'm using. Looks like I just hung a shower curtain, right?
WP_20140825_16_17_10_Pro.jpg
Wrong! Here's the inside.
WP_20140825_16_17_41_Pro.jpg
Most designs neglect radiative heat transfer. This enclosure attempts to address that issue. It is 3 layers. There are 2 outer layers of PVC coated canvas drop cloth I picked up from home depot, and the inner layer is a reflective emergency blanket (aluminized polyester). It's not ideal by any means, there is no insulation to speak of, but it should do the trick for some of my larger prints while I work the rest of the design out.

Initially, I just had the emergency blanket hanging from it to see how well it worked, and it managed to raise the interior temp by about 15 degrees, enough to significantly help with layer bonding and warping on larger prints, as you can see in this picture.
WP_20140825_16_48_11_Pro.jpg
The object on left had some areas of weak layer bonding that broke when I was messing around with it after it was done printing, but only next to the mounting point, whereas the object on the right had layers unbond during cooling that go nearly all the way around the objects circumference.

The next iteration I plan to add some actual insulation, perhaps flexible foam sheeting or thick felt, between 2 layers of the dropcloth, assuming I keep it. I'm also going to see if I can find a way to get my hands on some actual aluminized mylar. And I'm definitely going to work out a much better system to hold it onto my printer besides blue painters tape.
bdjohns1
Printmaster!

Re: New Enclosure Testing

Post by bdjohns1 »

Nice idea. I've got some of that metallized bubble-wrap insulation which I'm planning to put outside the plexi on the improved version of enclosure I'm working on.
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

Rov thrusters??
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

I saw some nice aluminized bubble wrap material, it is noramlly sold as a dashboard shield for your car so the sun does not melt it...

I am still thinking how i would start building my enclosure. And buying a cheapo cuboard and putting the printer inside of that is starting to seem more and more convenient.

One can also line the insides with whatever material is needed. The printer would be easy to remove, and if it also has drawers you can stuff all your other random crap on there...
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Just came across this:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89029118/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i think it could hold the max inside.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”