HPX2 Dual Extruder

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
longshot
Prints-a-lot

HPX2 Dual Extruder

Post by longshot »

Have any of you guys seen this? I tried to do a search but came up empty.

http://www.dglass3d.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They feature a product called an HPX2. Its a dual extruder with an autolift feature. I think if this works on our rostocks it would a pretty neat and easy upgrade for a dual extruder setup.

I'm using a dual extruder setup myself but the shimming, calibrating, etc is always difficult and I'm still tweaking it. This seams like win win if it works. Gap distances are known, a moving nozzle means you'll never snap the part as the 2nd nozzle brushes over the part.

The problem I can't understand is its a single motor, dual extruder. Their forums and support seems limited so I have no idea how its wired. The technology reminds me of the Stratasys systems with their Uprint or larger fortus machines as they have a retracting nozzle heads.

Any thoughts? Good bad? Try it out? Thoughts on wiring?
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: HPX2 Dual Extruder

Post by Mac The Knife »

I don't see where the extruder lifts, they do say infinite retractions,,,, but that is done in software. The servo they show on their HPX2-MAX is how they are using one motor to drive both filaments,,,,, it is being used to shift gears.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

I did find this,,,, lunch time is over, but it looks like they are using the filament to retract the spring loaded hotend? Kinda like using the molten filament as a hydraulic fluid?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dg ... s?ref=card
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

yes they are using the force of the coldend extruder and filament to force the hotend down. when a retraction occurs its pulls out filament and relieves for spring and pulls the nozzle back up to an adjustable height
Generic Default
Printmaster!

Post by Generic Default »

So the retraction must pull the filament all the way out of the barrel to activate the mechanism? That thing looks awesome, I just don't know about the price with how many machined metal components it has. Those parts look like they can't be mass produced on a bar fed lathe, and milling costs are usually higher because of the added labor for switching and positioning parts. Maybe if they're flat they can be AWJ cut.
Check out the Tri hotend!
longshot
Prints-a-lot

Post by longshot »

On the Hpx2-Max:
The thing the bothers me is the wiring. How does one hook this in if they have a ramps? I see where the extruder is wired, but there is a servo that is attached that will switch the filament. How does repetier know to move the servo over? Are we talking firmware rework?

HPX2:
The HPX2 seems like a better fit for the Rostock. It features 2 extruders (we already know where they go on the ramps). And if what is above is true then retraction will force the nozzle up.

As a side note, for traditional dual nozzle setups . . . is there some kind of auto retraction of the nozzle not in use before the primary nozzle comes online?

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”