Using Infrared LEDs on a Light Ring?

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
GeekStreetSolutions
Printmaster!

Using Infrared LEDs on a Light Ring?

Post by GeekStreetSolutions »

I want to illuminate my printer using Infrared LEDS like the ones used to illuminate Night-Vision security cameras. The goal is to illuminate my printer so my MatterControl Touch can see the print without any "human visible light" I am thinking of the following option: Buying a LED ring from Trick Laser (http://www.tricklaser.com/LED-Light-Rin ... D-RING.htm) and replacing the existing LEDS with surface mount IR LEDs. Would this be the easiest option? Are 6 IR LEDS bright enough? Is there any issue wiring it to the Fan on my E3D v6? I also could just use a IR LED Strip and 3D Print some clips to attach to each tower and wire it to the spare 12v lines on my PSU if that is easier.
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Re: Using Infrared LEDs on a Light Ring?

Post by BenTheRighteous »

That's a cool idea and your approach would probably work, but if it were me I would think that the effort of desoldering from a light ring and then resoldering some surface mounts by hand would be a bit of a pain.

I'd probably try connecting 8 of something like this (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9349" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) in series (because 1.5V x 8 = 12V) and then just wiring it to the fan as you suggest. I like the idea of 3d printing some kind of bracket for it, but that's up to you!
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

That's a cool idea.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Just use a FLIR camera and don't bother with the lights.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Jimustanguitar wrote:Just use a FLIR camera and don't bother with the lights.

8-)
GeekStreetSolutions
Printmaster!

Post by GeekStreetSolutions »

Jimustanguitar wrote:Just use a FLIR camera and don't bother with the lights.
Yeah, you are probably right. Although a DIY Infrared lighting system sounds nice, I may as well buy a night vision IP Camera and get way better quality video than the MatterControl Touch. Does anyone recommend a particular IP Camera. Optionally, I would like to be able to control the pan/tilt remotely, and the ability to embed the stream on my website would be nice.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Maybe something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Wansview-Wireless ... 9GR26EF24Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

FLIR thermal cameras aren't cheap....I doubt you want to pay that much for this purpose.

Most consumer "night vision" cameras are just cheap cameras with LED's to illuminate...which is what you wanted to do in the first place.

LED ring lights on the extruder make sense for human viewing, because humans move around.

For camera viewing, it's easier to just put the light where the camera is...they'll illuminate everything the camera can see.

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”