new carriages and ball arms

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
dbarrans
Printmaster!

new carriages and ball arms

Post by dbarrans »

I installed new carriages and ball arms from seemecnc on my RMax v1, and I know I need to change the arm length to 290.8, but I think I also need to change the delta radius. When I move the effector horizontally, it gets lower as it moves further from the center of the build plate.

Anyone know what needs to be tweaked to fix this?

- dan
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Re: new carriages and ball arms

Post by Windshadow »

start working with your Hoz radius at 144 and go up or down from their in .02 steps is what the manual says pages 32 and 33
In order to make the calibration as accurate as possible, you'll need to bring both the heated bed and the hot end to operating temperature. Set the Extruder temperature to 190C and the Bed temperature to 55C just as you did for setting the Z height.
Open the EEPROM editor and check the values shown below. If the Diagonal Rod Length parameter isn't set to 290.8, please change it to that value. The starting position for the Horizontal Radius is 144.
Fig. 2.4-9: Diagonal Rod & Horizontal Radius settings.
Make sure you save your changes before you move on.
In order to help you calibrate the Rostock MAX v2, SeeMeCNC has created a neat video that illustrates the entire process from beginning to end. In the video they're using the SeeMeCNC Orion printer, but the technique is the same for the Rostock MAX v2. When you see reference in the video to running the “TOWER.GCO” file, you'll instead click on the Tower Cal button that you just created the macro for. They're the same thing, just executed differently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3CqWxTcV38" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When you click on the Tower Cal button, it will execute the script you just entered. The script will move the nozzle to 0.2mm above the center of the build plate and pause for five seconds. It will then move to the X tower, then the Y tower, then the Z tower, and finally will return to center.
You may notice an odd “arc” motion as the nozzle travels from point to point. This is a mathematical phenomenon within the firmware and won't affect your calibration. You can safely ignore it.

Fig. 2.4-10: Nozzle at the center, 0.2mm above the glass.
2 – Installing MatterControl and Calibrating the Printer - 32
Rostock MAX v2 User's Guide
As the script runs, your focus should be on the nozzle where it pauses. You want to compare the gap at the tower base to the gap at the center.
If the nozzle at the tower base is higher at the pause point in comparison to the center, you'll want to turn the screw for that tower's end-stop counter-clockwise. Think “Turn Left to Lower”.
If the nozzle at the tower base is lower at the pause point in comparison to the center, you'll want to turn the screw for that tower's end-stop clockwise. Think “Turn Right to Raise”.
Repeat this process for each of the three axes. You can adjust a single axis at a time, or you can do two or all three. Doing all three at once may make you crazy unless you're a good juggler. Set the Z height and Tower Cal macro each time you make a change to an end-stop screw.
When you're done, you need to re-set the Z height as it will have changed due to the calibration process. Once you've re-set the Z height, run the Tower Cal macro again. Pay close attention to the distance between the nozzle and the glass bed.
If from the center position, the nozzle goes down toward the glass at all three towers, you'll need to change the Horizontal Radius value in the EEPROM. Open up the EEPROM table editor and scroll down until you see the field marked below.
You'll want to raise this figure by 0.2. Run the Tower Cal macro after each change to check the effectiveness of the change.
If from the center position the nozzle goes up from the glass at all three towers, you'll want to lower the Horizontal Radius by 0.2. Run the Tower Cal macro after each change to check the effectiveness of the change.
After doing this, you will see any changes where one tower may be higher than the other. If this is the case, go back and re-adjust the end stop screws.
It can typically take anywhere from 5-10 iterations of the calibration process in order to get the gap to remain the same at all three pause points compared to the center point. Once the gap is the same at each tower compared to the center, the machine is calibrated and ready to print.
dbarrans
Printmaster!

Post by dbarrans »

Which manual is that excerpt from?

- dan
dbarrans
Printmaster!

Post by dbarrans »

With the new carriages, the end stop screws are very short (3/8") with very little leeway for adjustment. I don't see how these instructions are feasible.

- dan
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

I had problems the first run-through because of the short end stop adjusting screws Started over with the them screwed all the way in and then backed out 2 full turns

the manual is the current part 2 user manual
http://download.seemecnc.com/rostockmax ... dition.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

There are 3 or 4 different manuals posted on this forum for the Rostock Max. Download the very latest edition for the new kits and if you have an older kit
use one of the older manuals. Carriages and arms have been changed over the years as well as power supplies and others that I can not thing of at the moment.
The latest version that is listed under Rostock Documentation should be the one that most should use.
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

I thought that since he said the new carriages and ball arms is what he is using the newest manual would be the instructions he should use.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Windshadow wrote:I thought that since he said the new carriages and ball arms is what he is using the newest manual would be the instructions he should use.
That is correct
dbarrans
Printmaster!

Post by dbarrans »

Since I built my printer, several things have changed that affect geometry and tuning. Among them are:
* number of teeth on the belt drive sprockets.
* number of microsteps (?) (my RAMBo is v1.0).
* radius and arm length (I have the latest carriages, arms, and effector).
* I want my control knob to use clockwise to advance through the menus.
* I upgraded to Repetier 0.91.
* I upgraded from Steve's extruder to what I think is still the current one.

I believe I need to tweak all these in the firmware. Did I miss anything?

- dan
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

The steps for the new extruder need calibrated so that a command to extrude 100mm extrudes exactly 100mm.
It may be wise to download the latest manual and start from the beginning and do a full calibration.

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”