OpenDACT(Delta Automatic Calibration Tool) - For Repetier

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
RollieRowland
Printmaster!

Re: Delta Calibration Program for Very Accurate Bed Leveling

Post by RollieRowland »

geneb wrote:All the .Net stuff is being open sourced by Microsoft. Via Mono you can build .Net apps for Linux and MacOS. That's how MatterControl is done - it's all C#.

I'm having problems getting VS2k15 to behave. It won't ask me for a license key, so I'm having to re-install. (Ent. Ed. vi msdn...)

g.
Whenever I got my version, it didn't ask for a key, I had to go up to help and click register. But I am assuming it automatically sticks you on a 30 day trial otherwise.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

The Community edition (basically Visual Studio Professional) doesn't require a key. You just register and you're done. VS Enterprise Ed. is a whole 'nuther ball of wax. :) I did finally get it properly installed yesterday. However, 99% of the time Saturdays are "work on the F-15" day, so that's what I'm doing instead of writing code. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
RollieRowland
Printmaster!

Post by RollieRowland »

geneb wrote:The Community edition (basically Visual Studio Professional) doesn't require a key. You just register and you're done. VS Enterprise Ed. is a whole 'nuther ball of wax. :) I did finally get it properly installed yesterday. However, 99% of the time Saturdays are "work on the F-15" day, so that's what I'm doing instead of writing code. :)

g.
Haven't had much time today, well yesterday(it is 2 AM), but I had managed to read up on C# to learn the majority of the syntax, structure, etc. So, I started the conversion from Javascript to C#, the code is up on the GitHub page. Currently, there are currently no inputs/outputs assigned yet. I left these as the original inputs/outputs from the HTML(document.getElementById('blah').value - don't laugh), thus the 187 errors. I will play some more tomorrow, but I figured I would post some progress.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

That's great! I'll grab the code you've done so far and throw an interface on it.

The way you've put the class together, it should be pretty easy to reference it as-is by turning all the input values into fields.

I'll start working on it today.
[Edit]
This is what I've got so far (not much...) - is this the direction you'd envisioned?
https://github.com/geneb/DeltaCalibrationTool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tnx!

g.
Delta Power!
RollieRowland
Printmaster!

Post by RollieRowland »

geneb wrote:That's great! I'll grab the code you've done so far and throw an interface on it.

The way you've put the class together, it should be pretty easy to reference it as-is by turning all the input values into fields.

I'll start working on it today.
[Edit]
This is what I've got so far (not much...) - is this the direction you'd envisioned?
https://github.com/geneb/DeltaCalibrationTool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tnx!

g.
I opened the sln, which worked, and the error list shown a missing file - frmMain.Designer.cs. Which prevented me from opening the designer view. Not sure if there is a secondary way to generate this file but I did look through the main cs file and I like what I see!

On a side note, I've been gathering info on arduinos/serial ports and am currently trying to send the G28 code to the printer. Once this is done, it is one step closer to auto-cal!

Edit: Ok, not trying to send it, I have a mock up application that controls the printer. Next step: extract EEPROM values.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I've got the Designer file committed. I don't know why it missed it the first time around.

I suspect you're racing ahead of me at this point, so I'm going to hang back and watch. :) If you've got any C# or VS questions, just yell.

g.
Delta Power!
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I'm going to keep poking at it periodically today and I'll commit changes as I make them. If nothing else I'll try to leave you with a good working framework.

g.
Delta Power!
RollieRowland
Printmaster!

Post by RollieRowland »

geneb wrote:I'm going to keep poking at it periodically today and I'll commit changes as I make them. If nothing else I'll try to leave you with a good working framework.

g.
What you're doing is a huge help to me! I am not at all familiar with these interfaces.. I am currently just testing in another program, it is still C#, however it only utilizes a console. I will need help soon parsing the EEPROM data, as it's a large string. Not quite to that point yet, keep getting app crashes.

Edit: Just noticed your first post! Fantastic work on the ui by the way!
HumanLiberty
Printmaster!

Post by HumanLiberty »

JFettig wrote:
Jrjones wrote:
JFettig wrote:So it is a horizontal radius adjustment as I suspected, independent to each axis rather than the system as a whole? It will definitely effect the parts dimensionally. End stops should always be calibrated first, ignore the value in the center of the bed, level the playing field at the corners then mess with the rest.

ETA- think about this - the greater your end stops are out of adjustment - the greater inaccuracy that you're inducing to correct for it not being flat by changing the radius error. It might create a flat printing plane for the bottom but it definitely won't be accurate in the x-y motions
What do you think it will do if the endstops are calibrated before running this program?
I had the four points (3 towers and center) at +/-0.01mm before using this. The problem I had (or still have if you think this will affect dimensional accuracy) is that opposite the towers I had the hot end higher than the build plate.
Properly calibrated with 4 point calibration, diagonal rod length(for x-y calibration), horizontal radius, and tower rotations you can get it dialed in perfectly. I do believe the delta a, b, c adjustment could further calibrate it but we don't have good enough tools to actually know that we're getting things dialed in better. With these my printer prints flat and to proper size.

I haven't touched your program, just the theory. While you can make it give you flat build plate, you need to do so without greatly effecting other factors.

Take your pick, anything is better than a zip tied rubber banded depth measuring caliper :P
http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-7169-0-1-I ... +indicator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.amazon.com/Vktech-Indicator- ... +indicator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-tra ... r-623.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you guys think of this as an alternative to the dial gauges?http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YD ... UTF8&psc=1
(they also have cheaper ones...)

Would this digital data be useful/available to feed/wire directly into eeprom or a desktop app?

Disclaimer: I have essentially zero technical knowledge.
RollieRowland
Printmaster!

Post by RollieRowland »

HumanLiberty wrote: What do you guys think of this as an alternative to the dial gauges?http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YD ... UTF8&psc=1
(they also have cheaper ones...)

Would this digital data be useful/available to feed/wire directly into eeprom or a desktop app?

Disclaimer: I have essentially zero technical knowledge.
I was actually considering buying one of those off of Ebay about a week ago. I decided to continue using calipers for the time being, as I plan on replacing them with just a Z min endstop shortly.

You may be able to hack them as U.S. Water Rockets stated previously. Would probably be a lot more work though.
RollieRowland
Printmaster!

Post by RollieRowland »

Update: I am getting close to having the auto-calibration into a pre-alpha stage, I have the majority of the code figured out.

My only issue at the moment is that my Z-probe is not operating as at should, it only responds with "Z-Probe state: h". I do not know if it is how it is hooked up(S,- pins) on the Rambo, or if it is simply the switch itself (Normally Closed, Normally Open, Com.), I am using Normally Closed and Com. It works on its own, just not connected to the printer. If someone would mind telling me what I am missing that would be very helpful.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Rollie, issue an "M119" command - that should give you results for the upper end stops on the printer. I'm not sure how you get the "min" values.

g.
Delta Power!
RollieRowland
Printmaster!

Post by RollieRowland »

geneb wrote:Rollie, issue an "M119" command - that should give you results for the upper end stops on the printer. I'm not sure how you get the "min" values.

g.
I sent the G31 command to the printer to test the z-probe switch, one time holding the switch and a second time letting off of the switch. Both times the probe reported "h". Once I figure out the issue with the endstop I will be able to finish the auto calibration. For testing purposes, I replaced the G30 command, which tests the height of the plate, with the M114 command which returns the current height of the printer. I still need to parse the EEPROM data, however, it won't be a problem, it is just a matter of doing so.
duvdev
Printmaster!

Post by duvdev »

What kind of Z prob do you have?
RollieRowland
Printmaster!

Post by RollieRowland »

duvdev wrote:What kind of Z prob do you have?
It is actually just a basic endstop switch, but I plan on making an automated one eventually.
Jrjones
Printmaster!

Post by Jrjones »

I might have missed it, but I'm assuming you are keeping it so that it will still work without a Z probe?
RollieRowland
Printmaster!

Post by RollieRowland »

Jrjones wrote:I might have missed it, but I'm assuming you are keeping it so that it will still work without a Z probe?
Yes, I will keep the original version up for those who do not have a Z probe.
HumanLiberty
Printmaster!

Post by HumanLiberty »

Forgive me if the questions I'm about to ask are painfully elementary.

For context, my whole reason for buying/building the Rostock was to print a prototype around the edges (a circle 10.7" diameter x ~4" high) and I'm now dead in the water due (I believe) to these calibration issues, so I'm watching your progress here with 'bated breath, and eager to implement your solutions ASAP.

I'd love to contribute/help, but as I said, unlike the rest of you guys here, I'm tech-ignorant, so it's challenging - but maybe I can help by offering one noobs' perspective...?

So here's what I'm trying to understand now:

1) How did you mount the Endstop Switch to the Effector Platform and finely position it?
2) Is this a good enough rig to use your solution in its current form?
3) how do its clicks translate into data for your V1.0.3 HTML tool?
4) do you think 626Pilot's Probe http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:161753/#instructions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
would be a good/feasible way to gather data for your system? Too complex? (It seems to me your current approach is more manual/streamlined than his, and so would not call for an upgrade to a Smoothiboard as his does...?)
5) Would you be willing to do a new vid showcasing your new Endstop rig? If so, I'd find it very helpful if you'd voice-over/narrate your actions step-by-step.

One ancillary tidbit I can offer is, I believe I found a good way to help alleviate the fact that the Max v2 is fundamentally below its claimed spec of printing up to a full 11" diameter.
A main limit is that the cheapskates cannot go low enough relative to the plate to let the arms extend far enough to carry the nozzle all the way out directly opposite each tower. My solution: Raise the Build Plate onto 2" circuitboard spacers. That gets the nozzle at least far enough out for my purposes, if not quite to the full 11", as the standard arms being too short. (I also removed the layer fan to prevent interference with the towers/belts - not a problem since I never print ABS.)
I'll post all about that in a separate thread and update you guys, if anyone may find that helpful.
Thanks!
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

HumanLiberty wrote: My solution: Raise the Build Plate onto 2" circuitboard spacers. That gets the nozzle at least far enough out for my purposes, if not quite to the full 11", as the standard arms being too short. (I also removed the layer fan to prevent interference with the towers/belts - not a problem since I never print ABS.)

You can mount the hotend below the effector which does the same as raising the bed in regards to the carriage placement. Also, the layer fan is typically used on PLA and not ABS(most of the time).
cyber.shifter
Printmaster!

Post by cyber.shifter »

As a newbie who has struggled with calibration before, I am very excited to see a different approach. I wish I had the programming skills to help you guys, but I haven't moved to C# yet unfortunately. I'm working on it ;-) Is the previous version that is browser based still workable though? I thought I may give it a try during my break from classes between summer and fall semesters...
--nil volentibus arduum
RollieRowland
Printmaster!

Post by RollieRowland »

HumanLiberty wrote:Forgive me if the questions I'm about to ask are painfully elementary.

For context, my whole reason for buying/building the Rostock was to print a prototype around the edges (a circle 10.7" diameter x ~4" high) and I'm now dead in the water due (I believe) to these calibration issues, so I'm watching your progress here with 'bated breath, and eager to implement your solutions ASAP.

I'd love to contribute/help, but as I said, unlike the rest of you guys here, I'm tech-ignorant, so it's challenging - but maybe I can help by offering one noobs' perspective...?

So here's what I'm trying to understand now:

1) How did you mount the Endstop Switch to the Effector Platform and finely position it?
2) Is this a good enough rig to use your solution in its current form?
3) how do its clicks translate into data for your V1.0.3 HTML tool?
4) do you think 626Pilot's Probe http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:161753/#instructions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
would be a good/feasible way to gather data for your system? Too complex? (It seems to me your current approach is more manual/streamlined than his, and so would not call for an upgrade to a Smoothiboard as his does...?)
5) Would you be willing to do a new vid showcasing your new Endstop rig? If so, I'd find it very helpful if you'd voice-over/narrate your actions step-by-step.

One ancillary tidbit I can offer is, I believe I found a good way to help alleviate the fact that the Max v2 is fundamentally below its claimed spec of printing up to a full 11" diameter.
A main limit is that the cheapskates cannot go low enough relative to the plate to let the arms extend far enough to carry the nozzle all the way out directly opposite each tower. My solution: Raise the Build Plate onto 2" circuitboard spacers. That gets the nozzle at least far enough out for my purposes, if not quite to the full 11", as the standard arms being too short. (I also removed the layer fan to prevent interference with the towers/belts - not a problem since I never print ABS.)
I'll post all about that in a separate thread and update you guys, if anyone may find that helpful.
Thanks!
1. I actually just attached an aluminum strip to the effector platform and to the endstop, it is again, another rig. Although it works for testing purposes.
2. For V1.0.3, the endstop solution doesn't work, you would have to translate the data from the z-probe to displacement heights.
3. ^
4. Possibly, I am not sure how that returns data. Also, take note it may not work if you have a glass bed.
5. Yes, I can't at the moment but I will, also will narrate the next time!

I noticed that issue yesterday when I sent g-code that was out of the printers limits because the cheapskates couldn't drop far enough. PM me a link when it's up!
RollieRowland
Printmaster!

Post by RollieRowland »

cyber.shifter wrote:As a newbie who has struggled with calibration before, I am very excited to see a different approach. I wish I had the programming skills to help you guys, but I haven't moved to C# yet unfortunately. I'm working on it ;-) Is the previous version that is browser based still workable though? I thought I may give it a try during my break from classes between summer and fall semesters...
Yes, the browser version will still work! Although I will most likely not update it, unless it is requested/there are issues.
RollieRowland
Printmaster!

Post by RollieRowland »

Version 2.0.0 will be up within a couple days.

This version will be the automatic calibration update! I am currently testing it, making sure that the program won't break your printer, although it is working!

This update will require a Z-probe and Repetier firmware, so I will give everyone time to set this up! Since this requires a Z-Probe, you will have to re-flash your firmware.

Firmware Changes:
Configuration.h:
//////////////////////////////////////////////
#define FEATURE_Z_PROBE true
#define Z_PROBE_PIN 10
#define Z_PROBE_PULLUP true
#define Z_PROBE_ON_HIGH true
#define Z_PROBE_X_OFFSET 0
#define Z_PROBE_Y_OFFSET 0
#define Z_PROBE_WAIT_BEFORE_TEST false
#define Z_PROBE_SPEED 2
#define Z_PROBE_XY_SPEED 150
#define Z_PROBE_HEIGHT 39.91
#define Z_PROBE_START_SCRIPT ""
#define Z_PROBE_FINISHED_SCRIPT ""
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The Z_PROBE_PIN is set the the Z minimum endstop on the Rambo board. You can use any pin, just dig through your pins.h and find the pin you want to map the Z Probe to.

The program needs to have your controller drivers installed for your printer, as it connects to your COM ports. You also need to know your plate diameter, and Baud Rate.

I will update everyone on the progress, but I hope to have this ready in a day or two.
HumanLiberty
Printmaster!

Post by HumanLiberty »

KAS wrote:
HumanLiberty wrote: My solution: Raise the Build Plate onto 2" circuitboard spacers. That gets the nozzle at least far enough out for my purposes, if not quite to the full 11", as the standard arms being too short. (I also removed the layer fan to prevent interference with the towers/belts - not a problem since I never print ABS.)

You can mount the hot-end below the effector which does the same as raising the bed in regards to the carriage placement. Also, the layer fan is typically used on PLA and not ABS(most of the time).

Thanks for the tips. How would you mount stably below the effector? (though in my case, I guess I'm all in on the bed-raising for now, since I already did it...)
Interesting re the layer fan - I've only printed PLA and T-Glase, and the layer fan never turned on...
so I ass-umed it was an ABS thing...
HumanLiberty
Printmaster!

Post by HumanLiberty »

I noticed that issue yesterday when I sent g-code that was out of the printers limits because the cheapskates couldn't drop far enough. PM me a link when it's up![/quote]

Thanks for the followup info.

Here's a link to my screed on this subject...:
http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... 393#p73393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just found out the standard delta arm length is 269mm.
So how could there ever have been any illusion that they could've reached across a 280mm diameter build area?
It's strange this issue wasn't noticed and corrected before the v2 was ever released. Must have been a mass brainfart at Rostock - let's hope they take ownership of it and just increase the stock arm length to like 300MM, and send replacements to those of us who want them - seems like a quick/easy fix to me...
Last edited by HumanLiberty on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”