Just found an easy cable routing method

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
TheRealRocketBurns
Printmaster!

Just found an easy cable routing method

Post by TheRealRocketBurns »

Needed to run some more wires to the top of my machine, just found out that a standard CAT6 Ethernet cable fits nicely into the grooves of the aluminum extrusions. No problems with it so far, and it doesn't adversely affect anything. In theory, at 8 wires per cable it would be possible for 48 extra wires to be routed to the top/bottom. Wish I had known this while assembling, would have saved me some trouble. Certainly doesn't look as nice however :lol:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/gtIuhaQ.jpg[/img]

EDIT: 8 wires
Last edited by TheRealRocketBurns on Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Just found an easy cable routing method

Post by geneb »

Ethernet cable has 8 wires. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Indeed, you could get 36 per tower (Presuming front and back as well, which may take increasing the size of your idlers or something), totalling up to 108 wires. That should be enough for anyone. Even better, you can get fairly well shielded cat six cable, and ground it on both ends, not to mention those varieties of cat 6 which use an x-shaped spreader to separate the pairs and shield them against each other. It would be an appropriate cable to use if you don't care about looks at all (And you could also potentially get the gap filler for the front and back slots, so it doesn't look too terrible, so long as you bump the belt out a little)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
TheRealRocketBurns
Printmaster!

geneb wrote:Ethernet cable has 8 wires. :)

g.
Whoops wasn't thinking! :oops:
TheRealRocketBurns
Printmaster!

Xenocrates wrote:Indeed, you could get 36 per tower (Presuming front and back as well, which may take increasing the size of your idlers or something), totalling up to 108 wires. That should be enough for anyone. Even better, you can get fairly well shielded cat six cable, and ground it on both ends, not to mention those varieties of cat 6 which use an x-shaped spreader to separate the pairs and shield them against each other. It would be an appropriate cable to use if you don't care about looks at all (And you could also potentially get the gap filler for the front and back slots, so it doesn't look too terrible, so long as you bump the belt out a little)
Front and back would be a tight fit with the belts. I have it running an extruder right now, but I do imagine you would need the shielded stuff for anything like endstops. As it turns out there are 8 wires per cable (Thanks gene! ;) ) so you could get a total of 144, definitely more than enough
TheRealRocketBurns
Printmaster!

Also, for anyone interested, here is how I routed it back into the base. I probably could have gotten away without drilling a hole, but it would've been a little too close to the pulley for my liking.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/OxAIW2S.jpg[/img]
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

I always asked myself why this is not the standard method for connecting Endstops. I believe it would also qualify for fans, especially if you connect each fan to a different pair. I am not sure if the Cat6 fits through the extrusion though...
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

I used to use Cat-6 for hot end wiring.

Don't do that. Cat-5 and Cat-6 wire are solid-core, which is bad for any motion application. It's likely to fail after a few months to a year. Took me awhile to figure out that one of the wires had broken inside the jacketing.

Real shame, too. Three pairs for hot end power and one for thermistor, with the little RJ45 connector, would be perfect for a hot end. If I ever find out someone's making stranded Cat-6, I might try it again.

Probably fine for extruders (fixed, not flying) and endstops.
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

626Pilot wrote:I used to use Cat-6 for hot end wiring.

Don't do that. Cat-5 and Cat-6 wire are solid-core, which is bad for any motion application. It's likely to fail after a few months to a year. Took me awhile to figure out that one of the wires had broken inside the jacketing.

Real shame, too. Three pairs for hot end power and one for thermistor, with the little RJ45 connector, would be perfect for a hot end. If I ever find out someone's making stranded Cat-6, I might try it again.

Probably fine for extruders (fixed, not flying) and endstops.
Stranded Cat5 and 6 has been available from major suppliers pretty much from the day the product was created. Costs more than solid. Solid is fine for permanent installation in walls, so it's the more common bulk purchase.

Pre-made patch cables with plugs on both ends from retail stores SHOULD be stranded (can be verified by examing the end of the transparent plug with bright light and good eyes/magnifying glass). This may be the most convenient source of stranded cable for someone who only needs a little.
DerStig
Printmaster!

Post by DerStig »

626Pilot wrote:Don't do that. Cat-5 and Cat-6 wire are solid-core, which is bad for any motion application. It's likely to fail after a few months to a year. Took me awhile to figure out that one of the wires had broken inside the jacketing.

Mono price stranded Cat6 http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Copper- ... 6+stranded

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”