Printing Speeds

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
Dionysus480
Printmaster!

Printing Speeds

Post by Dionysus480 »

Hi all,

I've recently completed a mini overhaul of my RMv2 and am quite pleased with the changes. I have a question regarding print speeds.

I print slow. Pretty much all the time. 25 mm/s ish. Once you have the design dialed in (including supports), the filament dialed in, cooling, and the printer dialed in (bed level, z-height, extruder callibration, etc.) and are able to produce a good print, what speed do you look for as you move to multiple prints.

I've printed one spiral chess set for one son (need a second... two sons), and I've been really eyeing an MPCNC for router/laser. I'm also thinking my sons may want to try a small business of printing fidget spinners and selling them to the other kids around the neighborhood.

So now that I'm looking for more multiple print scenarios, the speed question came up. Any input appreciated.
Dionysus480 & Sons

Rostock MAX v2 - "M2D2"

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda
RichWP
Prints-a-lot

Re: Printing Speeds

Post by RichWP »

A suggestion: Cura has a 'TweakAtZ' Extension (Extensions-->Post-Processing-->Modify G-Code). One of the options is to generate g-code that changes the Print/travel Speed at different (pre-defined) heights.

What I do is print a tall object starting relatively slow, then increase the speed by 10 % every 5 mm or so. It's a bit confusing to set up at first, but if you want to change the speed 5 times during a print, then you would need to add 5 'Post Processing scripts' - each with a higher 'Speed' and 'Tweak Height'.

The results should give you a pretty good idea the impact of different speeds on your prints. I normally test with something that has infill and somewhat complicated surfaces - maybe the chess pieces that you mentioned in your post.

You can also test printing temperatures using this method as well.

Good luck!

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”