Techflex sleeving

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Techflex sleeving

Post by DeltaCon »

I am pretty thrilled about this Techflex sleeving, I used to have a foldable sleeve with velcro for closing them up. It is nice to be able to take the sleeve off and be able to work on it, or add something to it. But I always felt it was putting too much strain on the hotend mount, ans it was tilting a bit. Some time ago I found out about Techflex and their unique sleeving. It can be opened, but has no velcro or anything. It just curls around the cable tree and is held together by the will of the material to maintain it's original diameter. It has a lot overlap so one sleeve fits many sizes.
TechflexPicA.png
TechflexPicB.png
TechflexPicC.jpg
You would think because the material has a firm grip over the inner cabling, it must be rather stiff. But in reality perpendicular to the length it is surprisingly flexible, and a lot more flexible than any velcro sleeving.

Digikey carries these sleeves (I used the 0.38 inch variant in the pictures), but it looks like the only sell full boxes/rolls. Here in the Netherlands there is a local distributor that sends out by the meter. for about 3 Euro a meter. Probably expensive for sleeving, but it looks nice doesn't it?

Here is the Dutch supplier: http://www.vanoostvoorn.nl/webshop-tech ... -wrap.html
And here the Digikey link: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/3880336
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
ExplodedZombie
Printmaster!

Re: Techflex sleeving

Post by ExplodedZombie »

I did something similar and it's pretty rad. But that sleeving looks much nicer!

I threw some shrink tube on the end and it looks pretty decent. I didn't think about using 2 sleeves to incorporate the bowden tube! I might have to redo mine...
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Yeah I thought about shrinmking the end of the tree, but I did not for 2 reasons: A) My tube did not fit over the connectors and I was to lazy to resolder them B) I am thinking about a LED ring so I will need to put in extra wiring soon ;-)

gchristopher
Printmaster!

Post by gchristopher »

That's nice! I pathologically change printer parts, so wiring changes are pretty common despite my best attempts at putting Connnectors Everywhere. It's hard to keep the braided loom from fraying at the ends. I'll try that wrap!
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Oh, I forgot to mention: it almost does not fray when you burn the ends a bit with a torch, and it completely does not fray when you use a hot-knife for cutting! ;-)

I used "F6W0.38 Flexo F6 Woven Wrap, 9.5mm" for both the loom and the outer PTFE wrap. If you have extra wires in your look and perhaps dual PTFE you wil need the wider "F6W0.50 Flexo F6 Woven Wrap, 12.7mm" for the outer wrap.

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”