[Partially Solved] Quiet down the fan in the base?

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

[Partially Solved] Quiet down the fan in the base?

Post by DDXdesign »

My V4 prints nice and quiet, but the fan in the base is super loud. Soooooo:
- easy to replace with something like a Noctua? what voltage etc?
- can it be run at a lower speed for less noise or is that a bad idea?

Just curious since it's in the main living space of my apartment. Side note: It makes hilarious laser noises when it makes fast travel moves, that's fun.
Last edited by DDXdesign on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Quiet down the fan in the base?

Post by geneb »

I'm pretty sure it's a standard 12v fan - the label on it should say for sure. You should be able to replace it with a Noctua fan if you want.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

Post by DDXdesign »

Thanks man. I'm beginning to think you're the only other person on this forum. LOL. Hope I'm not annoying with all the questions! (Side note: yesterday tried to print a big batch of flat parts and every single one of them warped to hell. PLA, print at 200, bed at 60. Trying less fan on the bottom layers, but if that doesn't work I'll probably start another thread, heh....)
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

No worries. Failbook tends to suck all the oxygen out of the room, much to the detriment of the end user. It's a great way to bitch about your family and their politics, but is wildly ineffective as a community support device. :)

I can't recall the last time I saw a PLA part warp. What material are you printing with? Are you printing on bare glass or?

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I'm usually browsing the forums daily(but Geneb gets to questions faster than I do, thanks to my awful schedule). Are you using any bed prep or material beyond clean bare glass? Any specific brand of PLA you're using, and has it been open long? (I got some bad warping with the spools from my little davinci, and saw warping increasingly as my PLA got wetter and warmer on my V2)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

Post by DDXdesign »

Oh the PLA warping seems to happen when I print flat parts or parts that need to have a flat bottom - in this case they are little pick boxes and I print multiples at a time. The corners, even though they are rounded in all three directions, just like to pull up. Happens on my buildtak sheet in my DaVinci Jr Pro (no heated bed, was largely a problem of the room being cold so I moved my operations to another room, but it hasn't stopped 100%), happened on my Max V4's glass the first couple batches. And while I've had some of my filament for awhile, this is fresh Atomic brand that I just got a couple days ago. Thus far I've done the "no fan first layer, increase fan gradually as it goes up" which helped a little, but today i tried the sample of Magigoo that came with the v4 and it's working great so far on this batch!
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

Re: [Solved] Quiet down the fan in the base?

Post by DDXdesign »

FAN UPDATE:

Noctua A6x25 FLX recommended by Andy at SeeMeCNC.

Arrived yesterday. It has a 3 wire pigtail, but I used the connector adaptor for a 4-pin header (which only uses red and black, leaving the other 2 pins unconnected) - I cut off that connector and stripped the wires back a bit, and just stuck them into the receptacles on the little Wago connector in the same way the stock fan's wires had been. Didn't need to disassemble the machine beyond pulling the corner plastics out so I could access the fan area. The assembly of nuts and washers on the backside of the mounting bolts was a little like laparoscopic surgery but I managed it. The base fan is quiet as a mouse fart now.

..... But now I can hear the hotend and part cooling fans (almost as loud at full tilt, but had been disguised by the base fan)! lol the quest for quiet continues? Is the effector setup as plug and play as the base fan if I did want to continue the fan upgrade path?
DDXdesign
Printmaster!

Re: [Partially Solved] Quiet down the fan in the base?

Post by DDXdesign »

FAN UPDATE 2: Doh, didn't realize until well into a print that there is another fan in there, I suppose the Power Supply fan itself, that also sounds like a hairdryer once it's going. I'll bet that one is much harder to get to. Dang.

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”