I made a vid for a quick refresher in calibrating the Max

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
McSlappy
Printmaster!

I made a vid for a quick refresher in calibrating the Max

Post by McSlappy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYPXNmLXRXI

Calibrating and adjusting endstops isn't too tough, but there are quite a few little steps that are easy to miss. I made a vid which (hopefully) succinctly goes over the process.

Let me know if I've missed something :)

Also I included pasting the Z-height from the EEPROM into the X & Y heights even though I'm not sure it's necessary. Better safe than sorry :)
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)
guanu
SeeMeCNC Staff

Re: I made a vid for a quick refresher in calibrating the Ma

Post by guanu »

dont know if you covered it, as I'm in the shop now and dont have audio... but when doing endstop adjustments, if you adjust one screw, you also alter the position of the other 2 towers..
for that reason, the script I prefer to run is this:
; Tower endstop calibration script
G28
G1 Z.2 F15000
G4 S1
G1 X-77.94 Y-45 F2000
G4 S2
G1 X0 Y0
G1 X77.94 Y-45
G4 S2
G1 X0 Y0
G1 Y90
G4 S2
G1 X0 Y0
;

but I dont use a piece of paper either, I get eye level with the bed and watch the gap in the nozzle, from center to tower, if nozzle goes down, tighten adjust screw, if nozzle goes up from center, raise screw..
this covers all 3 towers at once, so adjustments can be made all at once, and you re-run the script a few times to dial it in... seems easier for most people because when each tower is done seperately, if you have to adjust z they wonder why x and y changed..

just my .02, but good vid!

Guanu
brent
Printmaster!

Post by brent »

Great video, thank you very much for making a multimedia guide in addition to gene's manual.
JohnStack
Printmaster!

Post by JohnStack »

Nicely done. It's a great reminder - one of those "Oh yeah" things.... love it!
Technologist, Maker, Willing to question conventional logic
http://dropc.am/p/KhiI1a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

guanu wrote:dont know if you covered it, as I'm in the shop now and dont have audio... but when doing endstop adjustments, if you adjust one screw, you also alter the position of the other 2 towers..
G28
G1 Z.2 F15000
G4 S1
G1 X-77.94 Y-45 F2000
G4 S2
G1 X0 Y0
G1 X77.94 Y-45
G4 S2
G1 X0 Y0
G1 Y90
G4 S2
G1 X0 Y0
;

but I dont use a piece of paper either, I get eye level with the bed and watch the gap in the nozzle, from center to tower, if nozzle goes down, tighten adjust screw, if nozzle goes up from center, raise screw..
this covers all 3 towers at once, so adjustments can be made all at once, and you re-run the script a few times to dial it in... seems easier for most people because when each tower is done seperately, if you have to adjust z they wonder why x and y changed..

Guanu
I've seen you mention this elsewhere, and I know others have tried it - I'll have to give it a go :)

When you level with your eye do you feel you're able to get a consistent level? I find I get confused with the reflection and the actual gap. Any tips on staying consistent?

Thanks for the info. I will add a script and give it a go when my level needs adjusting next :)

- Isaac
apostoly
Printmaster!

Post by apostoly »

McSlappy wrote:
guanu wrote:dont know if you covered it, as I'm in the shop now and dont have audio... but when doing endstop adjustments, if you adjust one screw, you also alter the position of the other 2 towers..
G28
G1 Z.2 F15000
G4 S1
G1 X-77.94 Y-45 F2000
G4 S2
G1 X0 Y0
G1 X77.94 Y-45
G4 S2
G1 X0 Y0
G1 Y90
G4 S2
G1 X0 Y0
;

Guanu
I've seen you mention this elsewhere, and I know others have tried it - I'll have to give it a go :)

When you level with your eye do you feel you're able to get a consistent level? I find I get confused with the reflection and the actual gap. Any tips on staying consistent?

Thanks for the info. I will add a script and give it a go when my level needs adjusting next :)

- Isaac
I usually do it with a sheet of white paper right behind the glass so that the reflection is easier to distinguish.

Im just confused with the temperatures of the bed when levelling. i read everywhere to do it once at 60 degrees but what about when you print in ABS and warm the bed up to 90.. Wont that cause the bed physically expand further?
guanu
SeeMeCNC Staff

Post by guanu »

I'll hit both of your posts... mcslappy, yes, as apostoly said, its best with a white wall or something white behind the machine it makes the reflection easier to see.... and I get down to eye level with the glass so I can see more the gap than the reflection and work off the gap.. this method is what I use here at the shop when I calibrate all the orioins.. basically you bring the nozzle down till it just about taps the glass, then set your z=0, then when you run the script (the script runs everything at a z height of 0.2mm so you can a gap from the nozzle to the bed), it goes down to the center, and you look at the gap, then it travels to the X tower, ignore the gap during the travel, but when it pauses, look at the gap and remember if it went up or down from the center... then it goes back to center, look at that gap, then it goes to Y tower and so on... what you need to know is if for example one tower went down, and the other two went up, I tend to only adjust the odd one, the one that went down, as this adjusts the other 2 in the opposite direction... then I re set the z height and run it again, and tweak it till the visible gap is the same.. by eye and going off the .2mm gap gets you within +- .1 or less... and I believe thats more precise than feeling grip on a piece of paper.. if you read the orion manual you will see the pics and the procedure I use for leveling for more of a visual of what I am describing... I wrote that portion since its easier for most people to do by eye.. the only difference is the gcode since the one I posted in this thread is for the max..

apostoly, yes, I do my leveling with the machine at temp because of expansion, but the level calibration wont be off enough from the higher temps for abs, you just may have to re set z=0 because the gap will change.... but not need to do the full calibration from what I've experienced.. but yeah, its crazy seeing the difference of z=0 from cold to at temp...

Guanu
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

guanu wrote:I'll hit both of your posts... mcslappy, yes, as apostoly said, its best with a white wall or something white behind the machine it makes the reflection easier to see.... and I get down to eye level with the glass so I can see more the gap than the reflection and work off the gap.. this method is what I use here at the shop when I calibrate all the orioins.. basically you bring the nozzle down till it just about taps the glass, then set your z=0, then when you run the script (the script runs everything at a z height of 0.2mm so you can a gap from the nozzle to the bed), it goes down to the center, and you look at the gap, then it travels to the X tower, ignore the gap during the travel, but when it pauses, look at the gap and remember if it went up or down from the center... then it goes back to center, look at that gap, then it goes to Y tower and so on... what you need to know is if for example one tower went down, and the other two went up, I tend to only adjust the odd one, the one that went down, as this adjusts the other 2 in the opposite direction... then I re set the z height and run it again, and tweak it till the visible gap is the same.. by eye and going off the .2mm gap gets you within +- .1 or less... and I believe thats more precise than feeling grip on a piece of paper.. if you read the orion manual you will see the pics and the procedure I use for leveling for more of a visual of what I am describing... I wrote that portion since its easier for most people to do by eye.. the only difference is the gcode since the one I posted in this thread is for the max..

apostoly, yes, I do my leveling with the machine at temp because of expansion, but the level calibration wont be off enough from the higher temps for abs, you just may have to re set z=0 because the gap will change.... but not need to do the full calibration from what I've experienced.. but yeah, its crazy seeing the difference of z=0 from cold to at temp...

Guanu
I just wanted you to know that your many posts on this Forum are appreciated.
As an employee of SeeMeCNC you have a wealth of knowledge about these machines and you have shared that knowledge freely.
You have helped out a lot of members on this forum and I wanted you to know that your help to us is appreciated. I'm sure that
you don't often hear that from the members who have been helped by your posts. Thank you for your support.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
guanu
SeeMeCNC Staff

Post by guanu »

thanks eagle! I really do like to hear when help is appriciated. I enjoy helping, and find it only fair to help since I've built over 300 orions and dozens of v2s... so its good to be able to pass on any tips and tricks I've found to make things easier for users... I get to test and tune things to find easier, quicker, and more reliable ways to set everything up, and push things to the breaking point to find out problems.. so I've come across lots of ins and outs on what can break and how they break in order to help others who may run into issues... its the fun of making a better product and passing on the knowledge to our users.. I just want people to be happy without the headaches, so I'm here to help =)

thanks again!

Guanu
RAMTechRob
Printmaster!

Post by RAMTechRob »

I have an Orion, and never went back into Repetier to reset the heights. Is it the same for both machines?
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

Perhaps I'll make another vid showing this method too :)
hagemeyp
Prints-a-lot

Post by hagemeyp »

great video @McSlappy. I just finished my build last night, and used your video to dial it in. Much clearer than the PDF instructions. THANKS
Lightpath
Printmaster!

Post by Lightpath »

This video is great, thanks!
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

Great, glad to hear it :)

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”