Marlin vs. repetier

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
Behold
Printmaster!

Marlin vs. repetier

Post by Behold »

I would like to see people's opininons regarding the pros and cons of repetier firmware and Marlin firmware for the rostock. Well, at least I would like to see it in one place.

Anyone have any opinions on it?
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Marlin vs. repetier

Post by Eaglezsoar »

I have observed that the majority of SeeMeCNC.com printer users who are also members of this forum use Repetier software and firmware and the given reason is that Repetier is smoother, Marlin has been rated as more "jerky".
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I was the first customers that John installed the SeeMe branch of Repetier firmware on... I'd never printed before, so I have no reference for what it may or may not do better. At the time, everyone said it was quieter and smoother, and also that it could move the effector at a constant speed instead of the sinusoidal speeds that Marlin of the era was producing.

That was 2 years ago, though. I'd be very curious to see a current comparison of the two.

I've heard rumors about a few printer brands testing the water on switching back to Marlin because of political reasons and Repetier closing their IP.
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Ive tested more recent versions of Marlin (Joahnn's branch), I didn't test the main branch since it didn't have the auto leveling functionality at the time (this was a month ago). Johann's branch is pretty current from what I can tell (the config files were very similar to the main branch config files and I couldn't find any missing features). It was pretty stuttery. I didn't bother too much with it, I tried adjusting the segments per second and it didn't help much. I heard something about screwing the the acceleration and dropping the segments per second would smooth things out, but that didn't seem like a very good solution to the problem, so I just switched back. Marlin's motion planner isn't very good from my experience, I had stuttering issues on my Ultimaker at times as well.

That being said, I had good successes with the original Marlin build that they were running on the early V1 MAXs. It is quite old however.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

I believe I was the first user at least on the forums to run repetier on a MAX, delta motion was still a beta feature in repetier at the timeat the time I think. I maintained a branch for a while before SeeMeCNC made the leap from Marlin. The original reason I swapped was Marlin had very poor delta motion at that time, and frequently paused mid move. But as has been mentioned that was over 2 years ago and I haven't done a recent comparison
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

From what I've read on the github they are doing an overhaul on the code. Cleaning things up, unifying the branches, and fixing the motion planner and other things.
Khalid Khattak
Printmaster!

Post by Khalid Khattak »

I did this with latest version of Marlin Firmware . so far so good...never tried Repetier...
Attachments
1272280_10203770165843457_1631490166599108017_o.jpg
994108_10203662668876100_3558261914634445656_n.jpg
1484675_10203798964683410_6277201457424493059_n.jpg
Behold
Printmaster!

Post by Behold »

i have another thread going about lcd controllers. It seems that most of the controllers with fancier lcd's use marlin firmware. I find that odd
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Fancier LCDs? The fancy ones I'm aware of are the Viki type ones and the Full Graphic one from RepRapDiscount. I'm fairly certain that Repetier has support for the Full Graphic display, and I know it has support for the Viki 1 display, I'm looking at a printer using one. I'm not super sure on the compatibility of Viki 2 with any firmware other than Smoothie though, but I'm sure that its being built into Marlin and Repetier, if it isn't already. Pretty sure all 3 firmwares support the more widely used LCDs.
Behold
Printmaster!

Post by Behold »

I'm speakung full graphic. I can't find the Viki in stock anywhere. However ( at least through amazon prime) the full graphic ones recommend marlin.
Behold
Printmaster!

Post by Behold »

Btw.. What's the 3rd firmware? Marlin, repetier and what? Thsnks
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

Smoothieware, only runs on the Smoothieboard and the Azteeg X5 mini from what I know. They are faster and smoother (get the pun) running boards, with a better processor. The Viki 2 and the Full Graphic work natively with the smoothie powered boards from what I know, the other displays (Viki 1, Discount LCD, etc) need an arduino as a "middle man" to run with a Smoothie powered board.
dewme5
Plasticator

Post by dewme5 »

Anyone know where can I find the Marlin firmware for the Rostock Max v2, with the stock Rambo?
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

dewme5 wrote:Anyone know where can I find the Marlin firmware for the Rostock Max v2, with the stock Rambo?
https://github.com/seemecnc/Marlin-for-RostockmaxLCD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dewme5
Plasticator

Post by dewme5 »

Jimustanguitar wrote:
dewme5 wrote:Anyone know where can I find the Marlin firmware for the Rostock Max v2, with the stock Rambo?
https://github.com/seemecnc/Marlin-for-RostockmaxLCD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks so much
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

dewme5 wrote:
Jimustanguitar wrote:
Thanks so much
You should realize that branch of the firmware hasn't been updated in over 2 years.
dewme5
Plasticator

Post by dewme5 »

I was just reading over it, and noticed that 2 year mark. I think for now, I'll stick with the way it shipped, and possibly tinker later once I know what I'm doing.
Fiddler2070
Printmaster!

Post by Fiddler2070 »

Khalid Khattak wrote:I did this with latest version of Marlin Firmware . so far so good...never tried Repetier...

Hey khalid can you share your slice settings? Those prints look really good. Are you actually using the compressor pump print? Or whatever those bladed things are?
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

You should realize that branch of the firmware hasn't been updated in over 2 years.

[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... 2p1rtUXlyw[/img]
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”